Profile for Sarah Rayner > Reviews

Content by Sarah Rayner

Sarah Rayner "Sarah Rayner" (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dancing With Words
Dancing With Words
by Bridget Whelan
Price: 7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing for joy, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dancing With Words (Paperback)
Wave goodbye to any preconceptions you might have about a collection of stories and poems put together by a writing group - 'it'll be patchy/amateur/a-bit-of-a-slog-to-get through' etc - this is absolutely excellent!

The first poem, Clayton Wood, is so moving I shed a few tears, but stories like The Rival made me laugh too, so you'll experience both highs and lows as you read. If you live in or around Brighton or are familiar with the area there's the added pleasure of recognising the setting of some of the pieces, but don't buy it just because it's for a good cause (though obviously that's a fine reason), or because it's local, buy it because it'll be a *treat*.

I confess ours is getting a bit curled cover-wise as I've popped it in the bathroom, and we're all taking turns to read it in the bath or on the loo. Apologies if this is too much information, but it does convey what this anthology is perfect for - dipping into - because unlike a full-length novel each contribution is a bite-sized chunk.

Public Battles, Private Wars
Public Battles, Private Wars
by Laura Wilkinson
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The personal is political - and very entertaining too, 15 July 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I suspected when I heard the premise that it would be full of things I'd connect with as I was living in Leeds at the time of the miners' strike, but it's one thing identifying with the subject matter of a novel; another being hooked by a story - and Public Battles, Private Wars did just that. Laura Wilkinson is a natural storyteller - the novel gets going at once (which I confess I'm a sucker for, take note Louis de Bernieres - as if he cares what I think), the characters - Mandy especially - are engaging and rounded, the dialogue authentic and lively, and there's a wonderful sense of time and place. And I liked the end too, but I'll not say why, lest it spoil this delightful book. My only reservation is I don't believe the cover quite does it justice - this novel deserves to jump off the shelf and say 'read me - I'm romantic and radical and even a little raunchy' and the image doesn't convey this. Which is where reviews come in, so I hope this helps convince more readers to give it a go. If you weren't around in Thatcher's Britain, this will give you a good taste of what it was like for those north of the Watford Gap, but without making you feel you've been clouted with a picketer's placard.

Bad Doctor, The
Bad Doctor, The
by Ian Williams
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Most curative. What a treat!, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Bad Doctor, The (Paperback)
Iwan James, a middle-aged GP who works in the middle of nowhere, is a hero out of step somehow with his own life. He works in a far-from idyllic setting, his patients are beset by angst and ailments - as is he - and he worries about his marriage and fantasises about a colleague. Bite-sized stories give us glimpses of different patients, the doctor's home life and childhood, and make the whole easily digestible in one sitting - perhaps deceptively so, as on closer examination there's plenty of philosophic meat on The Bad Doctor's bones.

Although Williams' style and voice is very much his own, the gentle humour and painful truths of this debut graphic novel reminded me of Posy Simmonds - which I mean as high praise - for, as long-term readers of The Guardian will know, she is the past mistress of wry observation, whose wit is only matched by her illustrative skill. Although Williams' drawing style is different, the illustrations with more shadow and tone (which I, personally, preferred) in The Bad Doctor have, to my mind, a Posy-like quality.

By turns both funny and tragic, The Bad Doctor made me chuckle and occasionally wince from start to finish - wince in a good way, as one does when a work of art makes us see our own faults and foibles afresh.

I've already bought it for a friend, and will doubtless buy it again for others.

Highly recommended.

Brock
Brock
by Anthony McGowan
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful little book with a lot to say, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Brock (Paperback)
I bought 'Brock' for nephew (he's a McGowan fan) and when it arrived, it looked so very pleasing with its attractive cover and illustrated page design, I couldn't resist a sneaky peek. Well, the book might appear pretty, but it certainly doesn't gloss over its subject matter: the story of Nicky's fight to save local badgers from destruction deals with big themes. Injustice and violence, love and understanding; it's rare a book is so sparely written, yet covers such broad emotional terrain.

It's published under a 'Teen' label, but it's a story that will touch readers of all ages, and would make a great gift.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooo much more comfortable than a deckchair!, 12 Dec 2013
I call this my 'editing chair' - I bought this sun lounger so I could edit my manuscript in the sunshine and I'm so glad I did! I am happy to report it's extremely comfortable and easy to adjust while you're sitting in it from upright to almost horizontal (making it perfect for a late afternoon nap, for instance). This particular cover is attractive to look at too. Given the amount I used it, it may not last more than another couple of summers, but still that makes it good value. Roll on next year when I can sit it in again!

Homescapes - Luxury White Goose Feather & Down Duvet - 4.5 Tog - King Size - 100% Cotton Anti Dust Mite & Down Proof Fabric - Anti allergen - Box Baffle Construction - Washable at Home range
Offered by HOMESCAPES
Price: 54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended if you're hot blooded, 12 Dec 2013
My husband wears shorts in winter and I easily overheat, so this low tog duvet was an attempt to reduce our both getting too hot at night. It's light and comfortable and because it's feather, is warm but not too warm. Put it this way: it's December and we're still using it - I've just pull up a blanket at the bottom of the bed to pull up if there's a chill in the air. Well worth the money, and a vast improvement on the man-made fibre duvet we had previously. Highly recommended.

Sharpie Chisel Tip Whiteboard Markers Assorted Colours - Box of 6 with Eraser
Sharpie Chisel Tip Whiteboard Markers Assorted Colours - Box of 6 with Eraser
Price: 9.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, swift delivery and good, bright coloured markers, 12 Dec 2013
I'd recommend these pens and the eraser if you've a wipe board. The chisel tip is not as easy to write with as pointed one, hence 4 not 5 stars.

PowerBee  Endurance Deluxe Solar Fairy Lights 100 Quality Superbright LED's Multi Function Indoor / Outdoor Garden, Party, Tree Lights for ALL YEAR round use including winter
PowerBee Endurance Deluxe Solar Fairy Lights 100 Quality Superbright LED's Multi Function Indoor / Outdoor Garden, Party, Tree Lights for ALL YEAR round use including winter
Offered by PowerBee Ltd
Price: 24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for Christmas - they won't stay lit up, 12 Dec 2013
After reading so many high star reviews I bought a set of these for the little cherry tree in our south facing garden, which I wanted to light over Christmas. They were, it's true, easy to set up, hence two not one star. However, it's been sunny for several days and I live in southerly Brighton: the lights only remain charged (and thus alight) for a couple of hours, maximum. I appreciate December is the darkest month of the year, nonetheless I think the buyer's claim that these work 'ALL YEAR' is misleading. For summer months they're probably fine, but DON'T, like me, BUY THEM FOR CHRISTMAS!

Figure Firming Waisted Leggings-XL-Black
Figure Firming Waisted Leggings-XL-Black
Offered by TLC Sport
Price: 28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars They fall down!, 7 Dec 2013
If I'd paid less for these leggings, I'd review them more favourably, but at the price they are I expected something amazing, especially given the other reviews. It is true that they hold one in one's thighs and tummy quite well, and are wonderfully opaque, however none of this is of much use when the elastic doesn't hold them up. They keep falling off my waist and trying to hoist them up whilst walking is hardly a good look, but more to the point it is uncomfortable having leggings round one's crotch. The length is fine, and I have plenty of tummy too, so I really would expect it to be enough to keep the tights in situ!

NEW WOMEN'S FULL ANKLE LACED LENGTH STRETCH QUALITY LEGGINGS (X-Large UK 16, Black)
Offered by Elegance1234
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and comfortable, 7 Dec 2013
Good leggings for the price. Not the snuggest fit in the world, but cosy and comfortable, so probably more suited to lazing-at-home wear than a night on the pull!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6