Profile for Sarah Rayner > Reviews

Content by Sarah Rayner

Sarah Rayner "Sarah Rayner" (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Redemption Song
Redemption Song

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hooked from the off on this romance, 28 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Redemption Song (Kindle Edition)
Whilst ‘Redemption Song’ shares the same easy-going, unaffected writing style as her last novel, Laura Wilkinson’s latest offering feels quite different from her breakthrough, ‘Public Battles, Private Wars’. Whereas ‘Public Battles…’ was set against the backdrop of the 1984-5 miners’ strike, ‘Redemption Song’ is set in contemporary North Wales and is less political and more personal in its focus. When Saffron and Joe meet in a small seaside town, they are attracted to one another yet filled with trepidation. Both have secrets, both are scared: will they be able to be honest with themselves and with each other? Engaging and lively, empathetic and addictive, I was hooked from the off on this romance, which will appeal to young and older readers alike including fans of Paige Toon, Sarah Morgan, Dorothy Koomson and Diane Chamberlain.

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
by Atul Gawande

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading and that's what matters in the end, 3 Jan. 2016
Recommended to me by a wise GP friend of mine and an empathetic therapist, 'Being mortal' is well worth reading no matter what your age and life circumstance, but especially, I would suggest, if you're dealing with elderly parents or relatives, or are in the latter stages of life yourself.

The first half of the book focuses perhaps more than I would have wished on different forms of residential care for the elderly; not that this wasn't interesting, but it is very US focused and detailed. I also felt that it was a big omission not to talk much about mental health and the elderly; fading memory, anxiety and anger, for instance, are very common in those who are ageing yet were barely mentioned. This emotional minefield can make relationships with spouses, offspring and carers much more fraught when trying to negotiate how and where to best to live as we age.

These reservations aside, the second half of the book saw Gawande hit his stride. Here I felt he abandoned his more measured perspective, (borne, probably, from being a scientist and medic) and stepped into breach. Drawing upon his own experiences with his father – with an honestly and courage I found very moving - as well as the experiences of other patients and people he knows or has known, he writes with passion and clarity about the final stages of life, decisions need to be taken, and how to each individual might find a way through.

Both useful and insightful, it's for this second half of the book I would roundly recommend it. Several times it moved me to tears, and even more frequently made me think how what was being described relates to my own loved ones.

I'm sure it will prove useful in dealing with my own elderly parents, and others would find likewise. Who knows? I may even find it useful when it comes to my own end of life, though I may well be depending on others to ask those all important questions when I get to that point.

La Isla Women's One Piece Light Padded Swimsuit Swimwear Beachwear with Skirt Black 16
Offered by La Isla

1.0 out of 5 stars Very short in the body (and given a body is pretty much all there is to a swimsuit, that's a fail, then)., 27 Dec. 2015
Following the glowing reviews, I asked for this swimsuit for Christmas, in a size 16, which even post Christmas dinner, I usually am. My issue is not the quality of the suit, which is probably good - it certainly feels robust. However I didn't get as far as testing it out in the water, as it's very short in the body. I'm 5'5" so not especially tall, and it pulled my groin up to my shoulders and was not comfortable. It may be fine if you're 5'3" or less, but as that is shorter than the majority of UK women, I wouldn't recommend it.

iPhone Charging Stand, Lecxci Aluminum Made Round Charge Station Apple, Desktop Charging Dock Docking Station Cradle Stand Charger, Charging Docking Station, Phone Charging Holder for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 6/6s Plus, iPad Mini (Rose Gold for iPhone)
Offered by CXCOUK

3.0 out of 5 stars An attractive stand with an ineffective lead that had to be replaced., 26 Dec. 2015
At nearly £20, this is an expensive-ish bit of kit (at £39 it would be a complete rip-off), and the stand itself is fine - elegant looking and a nice colour, just as it looks in the picture. However the lead is defective. Firstly, it isn't compatible with an iPhone 6 Plus, although it is advertised as for this particular model. It failed to charge my phone, and I wanted this stand as an alternative charge source. Secondly, all the pressure is taken by the joint on the lead, which means that if you have a heavier phone (such as an iPhone 6 Plus) it means the lead is liable to snap, and this happened within a day of my using it. I've now swapped the lead with one that came with my iPhone, and it works, but to describe it as a 'charging' stand is inaccurate. It's a stand. With a faulty cable. I'd suggest it's better suited to an iPhone 6 not the Plus model, and you'll probably need to supply your own cable. Once I had swapped mine with the lead that came with the phone, it worked, but to my mind it's certainly not a 5* product.

PS I've amended my review from 2* to 3* as the seller has agreed to refund the cost of the cable and has been keen to make amends.

Something to Confess
Something to Confess

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Nov. 2015
Great book!

Starlings
Starlings

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, captivating and convincing, 11 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Starlings (Kindle Edition)
Darting across town, switching time zones, constantly shifting perspectives - Erinna Mettler's 'Starlings' is aptly named. These devices keep the reader hooked on what is more than a book of short stories; rather it's a tale of one city and it's connected people. Not a novel in a traditional sense but as Brighton prides itself (excuse the pun) on not being a city of the norm, this too is appropriate. Both tragic and comic in turns, I loved it.

The Slipper Company - Womens Black & Grey Soft Animal Print Slipper - Size 5 - Multicolour

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent slippers given the price, cosy and well made, 19 Jan. 2015
This is the third pair of slippers I've bought on Amazon in the last 18 months, and by far the best. Moreover they were half the price of the other ballet-pump style pairs I've tried, so I highly recommend them.

The Witch with an Itch
The Witch with an Itch

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly charming., 7 Sept. 2014
I appreciate this is aimed at children, but I identified a lot with the witch with an itch - she's impatient and inclined to strops. And actually that speaks volumes about what makes this picture book a cut above - it will appeal to adult readers too, and it's such a lovely book they're might find they're asked to read it again... and again....

The rhyme gives pace and rhythm, the illustrations (by the same Deborah Allright responsible for pictures in 'The Night Pirates') are magical, and the story is nicely rounded. There's an important message for small children about being kind contained within the narrative, but the author doesn't over-egg it.

Delightful!

How to Publish and Sell Your Article on the Kindle: 12 Tips for Short Documents
How to Publish and Sell Your Article on the Kindle: 12 Tips for Short Documents

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and not too self congratulatory, 30 Aug. 2014
A good many of the books and ebooks on how to self publish are so full of puff and self-congratulation as to be hard to stomach, especially if you're cynical Brit, like me. The whole 'make a million on Kindle' line sounds too good to be true, and I find they often say in 100-odd pages what could be delivered in 20. Not so this little book, which I thought incisive, sensible and well put together. It told me everything I wanted to know and a few things I didn't think I wanted to know but needed to. Its use extends beyond guiding those wishing to publish articles too - for anyone writing a shorter book - be it poetry, non-fiction or whatever, much of what Kate Harper advises is applicable.

My own advice is simple: if you're looking for a book about publishing on Kindle, buy this one.

Dancing With Words
Dancing With Words
by Bridget Whelan

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing for joy, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dancing With Words (Paperback)
Wave goodbye to any preconceptions you might have about a collection of stories and poems put together by a writing group - 'it'll be patchy/amateur/a-bit-of-a-slog-to-get through' etc - this is absolutely excellent!

The first poem, Clayton Wood, is so moving I shed a few tears, but stories like The Rival made me laugh too, so you'll experience both highs and lows as you read. If you live in or around Brighton or are familiar with the area there's the added pleasure of recognising the setting of some of the pieces, but don't buy it just because it's for a good cause (though obviously that's a fine reason), or because it's local, buy it because it'll be a *treat*.

I confess ours is getting a bit curled cover-wise as I've popped it in the bathroom, and we're all taking turns to read it in the bath or on the loo. Apologies if this is too much information, but it does convey what this anthology is perfect for - dipping into - because unlike a full-length novel each contribution is a bite-sized chunk.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7