Profile for Mr. J. Horsfall > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Horsfall

Mr. J. Horsfall (sheffield, uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kingston SD4/8GB 8GB SDHC Memory Card
Kingston SD4/8GB 8GB SDHC Memory Card
Offered by iFlash
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 Jan 2011
I got this memory card for use with a Panasonic TZ8. It works perfectly well - quick enough for everything I use it for, and large enough for about 1500 photos (so enough for a long holiday and more).

I've not some across any problems with having to wait for it to write your photo/movie before you can do anything.

What really attracted me was the price to memory size. Which is good, and the brand is fairly well known and reliable. Recommended.

The Village Baker: Classic Regional Breads from Europe and America
The Village Baker: Classic Regional Breads from Europe and America
by Joe Ortiz

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, not great for a Brit, 30 Dec 2010
This book is great for someone like me who has mastered a regular white loaf but wants to go further. His explanation of how to start and keep a soughdough ferment has proved much more successful than attempts using others instructions.

The is a good explanation of different breads from France, Italy, Germany and America (and a few others). However, as a Brit I like to use either kg or lb, instead all the recipes are in cups, so I rarely use the quantities stated in the book (as working out the quantities of the dozens of recipes is too arduous for me). Also I'm not too keen on the suggested pre-kneading whipping up of the ingredients. I prefer the french slapping kneading technique that Richard Bertinet suggests (try Dough or Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth into).

I still use the book though, the explanation of of methods and decriptions are good. So this is probably better suited to the American audience (hence the difficulty getting it in the UK). There are so many other good bread books out there (with the current revival in real bread) that you may be better looking elsewhere (as well as those above try The Handmade Loaf). Although if you are still set on getting it, it is a good book (hence 4*s - UK friendly quantities would probably have got it 5*).

Home Brew
Home Brew
by Doug Rouxel
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes for beers, wines and more, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Home Brew (Paperback)
I'm not a brewing expert, so this book is aimed at me. If you are already into home brewing a more specialist book may be for you.

This however tells you the principles of beer and wine making, what equipment you need and how to use it. There are simple recipes (like for limoncello and sloe gin), and full blown wine and beer recipes.

It is easy to read, and well presented - personally I don't like all the fake coffee mug rings and things throughout the book, but it isn't a major problem. All in all a good book, worth buying (or getting out of the library).

The Heart of the Hunter: Customs and Myths of the African
The Heart of the Hunter: Customs and Myths of the African
by Sir Laurens Van Der Post
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'The Lost World of the Kalahari', 18 Oct 2010
Having read and loved 'Lost World of the Kalahari' and wanting to know more about the San Bushman I bought this. It starts off where Lost World finishes off, and is just as compelling. When the group disbands I felt quite sad. I was expecting a reunion or more travel writing, which Van Der Post is good at. Instead the rest of the book is more of an attempt at retelling of Bushman stories and myths. Which is a good idea, except it is very disjointed from the first third of the book (travel writing), and he just isn't as good at retelling stories as he is doing travel writing of his own.

His constant reference to the bible and Goethe are so inapproiate to a people who have no cultural ties to Western Europe that I almost stopped reading it. The stories he tells are ok, some of them interesting, some of them butchered so where they were clearly interesting to him they weren't to me.

So in conclusion the first third of the book is what I expected, although it does leave you hanging, and doesn't return to finish it off. While the rest of the book is interesting, but not well written or contextualised. I think 2 stars would be a bit harsh, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you had already read Lost World and REALLY wanted a bit more. I'm sure there are better books on Bushman anthropology if that is what you are after.

Thai Food
Thai Food
by David Thompson
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, but not for the timid cook, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Thai Food (Hardcover)
As most of the other reviews mention, this book has recipes using ingredients that are hard to find. If you live in a city with Chinese, or even better Thai, supermarket you should be ok though (if not near a city you may have trouble with ingredients). I think the use of authentic ingredients in the book make it a top notch recipe book (if you want a 'thai style' meal look somewhere else, if you want authentic thai food this is for you).

The recipes are easy to follow, if a bit long to prepare. But the food I have made from the book has been excellent (if I do say so myself).

There is good info on Thailand, and ingredients that are a good grounding in Thai cuisine and culture. And it is written very well throughout. I want to go back to Thailand after reading it!

Plan Now, Retire Happy: How to Secure Your Future, Whatever the Economic Climate: Planning Your Dream Retirement
by Alvin Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent financial advice, 14 Aug 2010
Alvin Hall is well known from TV and radio, and his no nonesense style and easy to understand language continues in this book. Although I felt like it was aimed at those a little older than me (probably late 30's and up) it is an enlightening book.

The main message of the book is to make you aware of what you want you retirement to be like, how much it will cost, and how to achieve it. It also makes you consider the idea that it won't all be a bed of roses for everyone, but is ever optomistic that you can change your future for the better whatever you age/situation.

A thoroughly recommended book for anyone starting to think about pensions and saving for the future.

Back to the Land: Essays and Interviews Edited by Tom Hodgkinson, and Featuring David Hockney (The Idler)
by Paul Kingsnorth
Price: 21.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Another thought provoking edition, 17 July 2010
The Idler has in the last couple of years found a nice new niche. The high-end look and feel of the book are fitting for the audience I think this will reach.

The book is a collection of essays, interviews, cartoons and such like; all with a left wing slant. This edition has a great theme and (although I've not read it cover to cover yet) delivers thought provoking material. Not all of the book is successful, in particular the interviews (one with David Hockey, and another with Ian Bone and Ray Roughler-Jones) were ill judged and no so successful. Yes it's good to get a high-profile name like David Hockey, and perhaps in a different themed edition it may have worked, but it seemed to me out of place. The other interview was certainly thought provoking, I personally found it rather annoying and made me quite annoyed with the interviewees.

The rest of the book, particularly the essays that make up the bulk of the pages, is worth the price alone. Full of contemporary issues mixed with philosophical thought, on the theme of 'back to the land'.

So althought not 100% successful (a book/collection of essays like this never will be) it is a good read. Recommended.

Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth into
Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth into
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Crust - how to improve your bread baking, 26 May 2010
I must admit that I bought this book instead of the other one by the same author (Dough) because I thought that my basic bread making was sufficient to skip the first book. I do somewhat regret it, as Crust lacks a quick and easy white loaf recipe. The recipes are excellent, but for slower ways of making bread (including soughdough and a number of breads which require a ferment to be made 6 hours before starting). The book also has some croissant recipes and other 'not just white bread' recipes (the flamiche is very good).

I don't yet own Dough, but will probably get it as I do want some quick and easy recipes. Although I am glad I got Crust as the bread I have made are excellent (even if I do say so myself). I thought the free DVD was a gimic, but Bertinet's method of bread making is sufficiently different to warrant a live action demo (rather than just photos in a book).

In conclusion, you may want to contemplate Dough, but you won't be disappointed with Crust. I have vastly improved my bread output.

You may also be interested in the Fresh yeast (500g) that Bertinet recommends, which also worth getting.

Chaos: Making a New Science
Chaos: Making a New Science
by James Gleick
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 May 2010
You may think this book is now dated (it's over 20 years old, written 1987), but it is still very current. The metaphors and examples are some times a little old, but as long as you are older than the book you will not have any difficulty (in fact I enjoyed them and I'm about as old as the book), and anyone younger shouldn't find it too old fashioned either.

It is an excellent history of the development of the idea of Chaos in science. It isn't a textbook, and doesn't go into detail and theory, but this is a plus point for me. I enjoy pop science books. I am not a scientist, nor will I ever be, but I enjoy learning about science (at a basic understanding level) and the world around me. This helps to explain the world and how the top scientists look at and investigate it. The book covers a wide range of scientific disciplines, and in fact charts the start of the movement to interdisciplinary inquiry, so expect physics mixed with biology and pure mathematics (not too complecated though).

Well written and easy to read this is a book I would highly recommend.

Fresh yeast (500g)
Fresh yeast (500g)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Fresh yeast (500g) (Misc.)
This yeast is probably only worth buying if you bake bread a lot (and by hand not machine). But I have been baking quite a bit recently, so thought I'd get some. The use by date was good (and the info provided says it is still good to use for a while afterwards too), and half of it went in to freezer (the intructions for what to do are in the pack) to be used well after the use by date.

It has produced very good results in my bread, it rises well, and gives a good network of bubbles in the final product. It has never left a yeasty flavour in the bread. Much better than most dried yeasts, and an improvement on the best dried ones.

Very much recommended.