Profile for helen.oleary@clara.co.uk > Reviews

The Regeneration Trilogy: Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road
The Regeneration Trilogy: Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road
by Pat Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Unputdownable', 9 May 2001
I too read the book over a year ago and I still think about it a lot. I've just visited Flanders - both Belgium and France and my interest in the First World War stemmed from reading this trilogy.I think a large part of my enjoyment was because many of the characters actually existed. The film 'Regeneration' is good too. Anybody interested in WW1 and has enjoyed 'Birdsong' and also the work of the poets Sassoon and Owen will thoroughly enjoy this book.

Roots
Roots
by Alex Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most moving books I have ever read!, 6 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Roots (Paperback)
I have just finished reading the book - about an hour ago! And I felt the urge to write about it!I have read soooo many books - both classics and contemporary - but I have never read one that moved me in such a way as this one! I was in floods of tears! I am seriously considering buying all of the videos - which are £18.00 each! I couldn't put it down for the 688 pages - I have read it in lectures at University, on the train - I even had to take it out my bag at the bus stop the other day!
This book has disrupted my social life for the past week!! Read it now!!!