Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Essex, England)

Good Witch of the West The Volume 1
Good Witch of the West The Volume 1
by Haruhiko Momokawa

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cinderella- eqsue tale but in manga!, 1 April 2008
I really enjoyed this manga about a young village girl who finds out she is a princess. The is based on a set of popular Japanese novels which are also being published by Tokyopop of the same name.

Now as you may have guessed from the title, the story has many references to more western fairy tales which is quite rare in a Japanese manga. It is nice and is done very well but one of the reasons I read manga is that I am so interested in Japanese culture. There's no need to fear in this manga, however as it still brings its own originality to it and the main charcter isn't going to be the kind of herorine you are used to from Grimm's or even Disney. She refuses to sit and wait for anyone to rescue her.

I would say that this manga isn't suitable for younger teens as it does have some disturbing scences. I have read up to volume three so far and cannot wait to find out more.

I think that you would enjoy this if you have enjoyed Tsubasa, Magic Knight Rayearth or Red River.

Tail of the Moon: v. 1 (Tail of the Moon)
Tail of the Moon: v. 1 (Tail of the Moon)
by Rinko Ueda
Price: 5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and promising manga., 15 Nov 2007
This manga was recommended to me because I had enjoyed Red River and From Far Away.
In some ways, it is similar to Red River being a historical romance set in Japan.
The main character is Usa who is a failing Ninja in training. Her family decide the best thing to do with her is marry her off to a nearby 'clan lord' the biggest problem being that this 'clan lord' called Hanzo doesn't want a bride!
This starts off a funny adventure between the pair, with Usa trying to impress Hanzo at every turn and therefore needing saving by Hanzo when she gets into trouble.

This book can be very touching at times and very funny. I'm am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle v. 15 (Reservoir Chronicles Tsubasa)
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle v. 15 (Reservoir Chronicles Tsubasa)
by CLAMP

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the series yet., 14 Nov 2007
Wow what can I say about Tsubasa 15... each book surpasses the last one but the tone is also getting darker with each book. There is less of the light hearted adventure that was present in the earlier books when they go to a world known as 'Acid Tokyo'.
Fans of clamp will recognise the characters of those from X (X/1999). It is nice to see these characters in action again, especially as X remains unfinished. Those that have not read X, don't worry as this won't affect your understanding or enjoyment of this book.
There are a few very touching moments in this book, including one between Kurogane and Sakura, these characters don't usually interact much with each other but we see a softer side to him as he takes care of her (much like a big brother would or daddy!)
We also get glimpses of Fai's past as well.

Red River, Vol. 1
Red River, Vol. 1
by Chie Shinohara
Price: 5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant series., 2 July 2007
This review is from: Red River, Vol. 1 (Paperback)
I really love this series of books, a must read if you love manga. The story is similar to other books such as Fushigi Yugi and From Far Away. However, it is so much better than these. The plot is full of suspense and twists. The main character is 15 year old Yuri who is from modern day Japan. She is sent to the ancient Hittite empire. I don't know much about this time as I am more knowledgeable of ancient Egypt but this series of books has made me more interested in this empire.
It contains many morale issues that the young heroine has to overcome. Be warned however, as this series of books is only suitable for older teens and adults due to mature content.
I have enjoyed this and have enjoyed reading Fruits Basket, Tsubasa and Immortal Rain.

Dazzle Volume 1
Dazzle Volume 1
by Minari Endoh

5.0 out of 5 stars A good start to a promising series., 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: Dazzle Volume 1 (Paperback)
I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this series as I had heard mixed reviews about it but I am glad that I did.

The storyline is about a young girl, Rahzel, and a man, Alzeid. They are travelling partners, though Alzeid is slightly reluctant on this point.

The fist volume does a very good job at introducing the main characters and starts hinting at some very interesting backplot.

The only negative point I can make about the books so far is I found it hard to accept the blossoming relationship between the main characters as there is a substantial age difference between them and she isn't exactly legal but it is all quite innocent.

I have read up to volume 5 but will not spoil the plot for those of you who would like to read it. Overall, I think that it is a great start to a series and I am looking forward to reading the rest.

If you like Fruits Basket or Immortal Rain, I think that you will enjoy this series too.