Profile for Mr. Paul Tarrant > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul Tarrant

Mr. Paul Tarrant (France)

Page: 1 | 2
The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
by Nathan Filer

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 6 May 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
Very competent book, interesting structure, as Matthew writes his confession, explanation, expiation, in a present that moves forward, looking back through his memories of a younger self.
At first, it is difficult to like him; you imagine he has done something awful and assume that is at least part of the reason why he is a mental patient. Gradually, through some vivid writing and scene setting where Matthew is almost haunted by his dead brother, through his relationship with his family and health professionals, a kind of truth begins to emerge.
The final chapter is very satisfying, moving, humane and resolving many threads.
And in this chapter we see, finally, the characters in a clearer light, as does Matthew, and there is good character exploration in this book. I did worry sometimes to what extent Nathan Filer exploited his experiences as a nurse to write about people he'd met. All writers do this of course, but these are more vulnerable.
I can see why it won the Costa and certainly deserved to win in the new novel category. Very accomplished.

Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent
Vax Steam Mop - S2S-1 Bare Floor Pro With Detergent

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not magic, 6 May 2014
I bought this as a friend recommended a different steam mop. That model had some negative reviews and this was on offer so I chose it. It cleans my tiled floors quickly and easily but has not had the magic effect on the grout that my friend described, so I am just a bit disappointed. Also sorry that it has no accessories to clean bathroom walls, showers etc.
But I use it regularly quite happily.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard
by Louise Doughty

3.0 out of 5 stars Glum yarn., 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Paperback)
This book must have been an Amazon recommendation, although I am not sure why, any more than I am clear why I bought it. It was not 'my sort of thing', but I did read it and enjoyed it as a page turner. So although a glum yarn, it was not a yawn.
But if there was one joke in it, one ironic observation, it must have been too subtle for me. Like its protagonist it was totally self-absorbed, far too much navel gazing. I longed for a bit of, say, Ian Rankin's wry jokes, Camelliari's daft scenarios, something, to make the story come near the true chaos of the human condition. It was just a plot, spun out with the tension of a court case, and after the first half I was so fed up with Yvonne and Mark I couldn't really care what happened to them.
I did like the little tweak at the end, not a twist, but it did explain an earlier loophole very nicely.
But I will need to be persuaded to bother to read another of this author's books - I turned with gratitude to Christopher Lloyd's Great Dixter Diaries. After 2 pages of his sly jokes at his own expense and brilliantly engaging writing, I felt much better.

Life After Life
Life After Life
by Kate Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to treasure, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Paperback)
Having read this on my Kindle, I had to have a hard copy to keep. (I usually keep the K for thrillers, chicklit, things you only read once.)
I love all Kate Atkinson's books and this is no exception. Some of her work, like the Jackson Brodie books, seems deceptively light, witty and quirky as they are. But within the clever plots, the amusing dialogue, the appealing, messy characters, are important examinations of the big themes; love, loss, betrayal.

At first, I thought this book was another Time Traveller's Wife and was alarmed.(I did not like TTW with its trivial plot and whiff of paedophilia), but was soon reassured as it drew me in. It moved and angered and entranced. Atkinson has such profound things to say about women through our recent past, such a sure touch depicting the history of the 20th century and its effect on ordinary lives, whilst never preaching or lecturing, always entertaining.
Deeply satisfying. I have bought a copy for all the young women in my family, and hope their husbands enjoy reading it too!

Hope and Glory: A People's History of Modern Britain
Hope and Glory: A People's History of Modern Britain
by Stuart Maconie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Mar 2014
Another excellent Maconie tome. I listen to him regularly on 6 so this is as though he was reading aloud to me. V difficult to put down; one follows his enthusiasm from each idea, to each fact , tea cake and latte.

MOFRED® Black Ultra Slim New Apple iPad Air (2013-2014 Version) Leather Case Cover, Full Protection Smart Cover for iPad Air iPad 5 5th With Magnetic Auto Wake & Sleep Function + Screen Protector + Stylus Pen
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 1 Mar 2014
A much better price than apple's own! It does feel a little flimsy, sometimes the fold-back case does not support the iPad. I was disappointed that the back was not the clear plastic one that I preferred but that is my fault for not examining the spec and assuming it was the one I wanted. It arrived promptly, well packaged and protects the iPad so we can travel with it. Overall, good.

Kingston Technology DataTraveler G3 32GB USB Flash Drive - Frustration Free Packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 20 Jan 2014
A well priced easy to use drive. I used it to save data as I was buying a new computer. Just wish the emails I saved could be read - outlook emails saved as dbx files and windows 8.1 won't read them whatever I do - but that isn't the fault of this drive.
What I do wish is that the tag on the end would fit on a key ring or similar, I have several memory sticks now, rattling around in a little box. I am so scared of losing them!

A. Wainwright Desk Diary 2014
A. Wainwright Desk Diary 2014
by Alfred Wainwright
Edition: Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars A joy to use, 20 Jan 2014
A joy because of the beautiful Wainwright drawings.
The layout is ideal for me too, ie week to view.
My only reservation about this quality presentation is it lacks that so-useful page at the beginning, with conversion tables, Bank holidays, some international infos and perhaps also a year planner. I had all this in last year's diary from a different society, for same price.
But I love it.

Annual 2014 (Horrible Histories)
Annual 2014 (Horrible Histories)
by Terry Deary

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope she will..., 15 Nov 2013
love it. G-daughter is into H H and I hope this will encourage her reading. Activity book looks good too. Christmas presents, so too soon to review really.

Bosch Set with Chainsaw, Helmet, Earmuff
Bosch Set with Chainsaw, Helmet, Earmuff
Offered by Toy&Modelmarketuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Too soon!, 15 Nov 2013
This has only been posted today! Nobody has seen it yet - and won't, til Christmas!! I wanted grandson to have the electric drill tool kit but was over-ruled - I am sure he'll love this + all the gear - ordered the hi-vis vest too.

Page: 1 | 2