Profile for C. Price > Reviews

Sunshine
Sunshine
by Robin McKinley

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to it again and again, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sunshine (Paperback)
This is one of my long standing favourite books, I typically reread it at least once a year. Anyone who likes this genre should definitely enjoy this

The Shadow Queen (Black Jewels Novels)
The Shadow Queen (Black Jewels Novels)
by Anne Bishop

3.0 out of 5 stars Two books in one novel, 22 May 2009
First I have to say I'm a massive fan of the original trilogy, they're one of my favourite comfort reads, however...

I've noticed that with Anne Bishop's subsequent sequels I've been a little disappointed. This was certainly the case with this book. Upon discovering that this book was about a court separate to the Witch's court, I thought Ms Bishop might take the chance to show the workings of a normal, non-extraordinary court. Sadly she didn't. The part of the story set in Terreille focuses directly on the Queen, her 1st escort and her gardener. It's a rather predictable romance thinly veiled as a story of self discovery.

For all that I've complained about the Terreille based characters and plot what really irritated me was that half the book was dedicated to Daemon and his still damaged psyche. Although of course gripping in the original trilogy I am quite frankly over it. I get it, he's damaged... Jaenelle is damaged, Saetan is damaged etc. etc. etc. I was looking forwards to something new, a view of the realms from a different point of view, a look the state of the world from an 'ordinary' Bloods perspective. Sadly half the book wasn't even touching on the subject, and the other half skimmed over the surface in favour of a sweet but predictable romance.

So why 3 stars and not less? Because even with all the flaws, if you're a big enough fan you'll probably enjoy the chance to read anything new about this world, just don't expect anything earth shatteringly novel or nuanced.

Academ's Fury (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback))
Academ's Fury (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback))
by Jim Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Why on earth have so few people read these books?!?, 26 Oct. 2007
This book is very engaging and definitely worth reading. Our main protagonist Tavi has got what he dreamed of, a place at the capital city's academy - and yet as is nearly always the case in life, it's not as rosy a situation as he could have hoped for, and once again danger is looming on the horizon (keeping in mind that 2 years had passed since the first book, it's not that improbable) Jim Butcher once again manages to completely suck you into the world he has created (more original than many other fantasy worlds) using a form of magic that is original and very satisfying to read about.

This book works best if you consider it the second instalment of a larger story, Jim Butcher has very carefully cultivated some (initially seemingly unimportant) plot lines that develop beautifully as the series continues.

And although the Dresden Files series are unquestionably the better known series (no wonder as it was started earlier and has been adapted into a T.V show), I have to say that it's this series that really makes him stand out as an author for me.

I'm completely and utterly addicted to this series, I read the first and second books in one sitting(thank God for e-books otherwise I would have had to wait), stopping only for lunch and supper - reading long into the night, and then read the third book the day after.

Please read these books - they seem painfully unappreciated, especially considering how good they are!

Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback))
Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback))
by Jim Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Why on earth has no one read these books?!?, 26 Oct. 2007
This book is very engaging and definitely worth reading. Some people might initially dismiss some of the core plot ideas as old and overdone (a young orphan boy, raised by his aunt and uncle, exceptional only because unlike everyone else he has no 'magical' abilities is living in a small isolated village, on the outer edges of the realm)however, Jim Butcher manages to completely suck you into the world he has created (more original than many other fantasy worlds) using a form of magic that is original and very satisfying to read about.

This book works best if you consider it the first instalment of a larger story, Jim Butcher has very carefully started some (initially seemingly unimportant) plot lines that develop beautifully as the series continues.

As with the reviewer before, I stumbled upon this book (and series) because of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, which I also enjoyed a lot.

I'm completely and utterly addicted to this series, I read the first and second books in one sitting, stopping only for lunch and supper, and then read the third book the day after.