Profile for D. M. Todd > Reviews

Content by D. M. Todd

D. M. Todd (Yorkshire, UK)

Vent Dash Mount Ball with Clip for Garmin Nuvi 200, Nuvi 200w, Nuvi 205, Nuvi 205w, Nuvi 250, Nuvi 250w, Nuvi 255, Nuvi 255w, Nuvi 260, Nuvi 260w, Nuvi 265t, Nuvi 265wt, Nuvi 270, Nuvi 270w, Nuvi 275t by Neotechs

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for the price, 29 Mar 2013
This cost 3.50 and to be honest I was no expecting much. However, it is excellent value for money and so MUCH better than a suction mount.

The only downside is that it is very fiddly to fit and remove, though it gets easier the more you use it. I have a Peageuot 407SW and it fits perfectly on the vents.

Easy Fit Car / Vehicle Air Vent Mount for Samsung Galaxy Note II 2
Easy Fit Car / Vehicle Air Vent Mount for Samsung Galaxy Note II 2
Offered by Buybits Addons
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost five stars, 29 Mar 2013
First of all the negative. This is an exact fit for a Galaxy Note II so if the phone is in any sort of case it wont fit. I was a little disappointed about this but it is not a huge deal.

Apart from that is an excellent product, very robust, easy to adjust, very easy to fit and very easy to remove.The latter is important when you are leaving your car parked somewhere. I have a similar product for my Garmin satnav but that uses crocodile clips and is very fiddly to fit and remove.

I have a Peugeot 407SW and the mount fits perfectly in the central vents.

TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
Price: 14.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but...!, 6 Nov 2011
I have Sky broadband and the signal from the supplied router is very poor. In some of the upstairs rooms there is no signal at all. Considering the cost of this unit I was not expecting much but thought there was not much to lose. Setting the unit up was simplicity itself and took about fifteen minutes. Simply connect it to your PC, insert the set-up disk and follow the set-up wizard. Even a total novice could do it.

After setting up I had amazing coverage ALL over the house and even to the far end of the garden. Previously the wi-fi signal disappeared after taking two steps out of the back door, now I was able to watch a streaming video from the Channel 4 website 30 metres down the garden.

BUT...

Unfortunately I did hit one snag. All the wi-fi devices in the house worked perfectly with one exception. An old Dell laptop running Windows XP would not connect to the internet with the TP-Link switched on, switch it off and it connected fine. To cut a VERY long story short this was caused by the Dell wireless utility on the laptop. When I switched that off and allowed Windows to control the wi-fi all was fine.

In spite of this snag and the fact it took ages to resolve I am still giving the TP-Link five stars. Brilliant product and brilliant VFM.

Lynx Gt Pp
Lynx Gt Pp
Offered by Capital Stores
Price: 144.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, once you get used to it., 14 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lynx Gt Pp (Electronics)
I have recently started a new job that involves a lot of driving and decided to get a camera detector at the recommendation of a colleague. Not because I want ot speed but to avoid accidentally being caught out. There have been a few times when I was almost snapped when the speed limit suddenly dropped from say 50 to 40 and there was a camera set up to trap the unwary.

My colleague has the Road Angel and with hindsight I wish I had paid the extra for that. I chose the snooper because it was cheaper and came with a free tracking software. However, I think it is worth paying the extra for the Road Angel.

My first issue was that it took FIVE days to get the unit activated. Don't assume you can simply take it out of the box and start using it. You have to register it online first and then wait several days.

When I eventually got it activated, after several calls to the company, I was very disappointed with the software. For one thing, it claims to have a speed limit warning. It does but only ONE warning and only if you set it manually. So if you set the limit to 70mph it will not warn you if you are driving at 60mph in a 50 zone.

The speed indicator is a little idiosyncratic. When you are driving normally the main display will show your ACTUAL speed. This is a useful and clear check, though it would be better if it knew what the speed limit SHOULD be. However, as soon as you get a warning of a speed camera the main display changes to the speed you SHOULD BE DRIVING AT, not your ACTUAL SPEED. The actual speed is shown in a smaller display to the left of the main indicator. This has resulted in several occasions when I thought I was exactly on the limit but was actually over.

Initially the unit beeped constantly to warn you of the camera even if you are UNDER the speed limit. However, I eventually discovered a setting where it will only beep if you are OVER the limit. Once I had chosen that setting the unit actually became a lot easier to use. You simply ignored the display until it beeped.

In the beginning I was a little disappointed in the unit and wished I had bought the Road Angel. But once I got used to it it proved to be invaluable and very easy to use, the tracking software is also very useful. To summarise, if you are driving a lot then something like this is worth having.

Sid Meier's Civilization V
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 7.97

1.0 out of 5 stars SO dissapointing! Come back Civ 4, all is forgiven!, 28 May 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Things did not start well when I discovered that the game DVD did not actually install the game but instead the horrendous steam.com system. To cut a VERY long story short it took over five hours before i could actually start playing the game. Obviosly i was hoping all this effort would be worth it, it WASN'T! All style and no substance is what springs to mind. Yes, the graphics are very detailed but is that really any advantage? I would suggest not. I have tried to get into this and tried to find something good to say but every 'improvement' is a backward step IMHO. Why did they get rid of stack attack? What was so wrong with that? When I bought Civ 4 many years ago I paid 40 for it and it was worth every penny,this version just feels like a rip-off!

TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE
TINY USB 2.0 WIRELESS BLUETOOTH ADAPTER DONGLE
Offered by Magic&Gorgeous
Price: 0.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money item I have bought for a long time!, 23 July 2009
Using this with Nokia PC Suite on my Acer laptop and it performs brilliantly. Only issue with it was that Windows Vista said it couldn't find 'proper' drivers for it. But it works perfectly and Vista installed the drivers automatically as soon as I plugged it in. It connects with my phone even when it is in another room. I have also tried it with my main PC running Mandriva Linux and it works with that also. so I am buying another one for that PC.

Playing for Pizza
Playing for Pizza
by John Grisham

1.0 out of 5 stars Mr Grisham should be ashamed of himself!, 11 Mar 2008
This review is from: Playing for Pizza (Hardcover)
Until now i was a huge fan of John Grisham, now I will never buy any new novels from him. It appears he has a contract to write a novel and just can't really be bothered. Possibly as a result of writing The Broker he realised it is much easier to write a travel book instead of a thriller. so once again we have interminable descriptions of Italian cuisine, architecture, culture and customs (much of it I think just cut&pasted from The Broker). At least with that novel you had a reasonably interesting plot but this one! American Football played in Italy! Yawn! Yawn Yawn! I kept reading because a) I was on a plane and all i had to read and b)I kept hoping it would get better. IT DIDN'T! I think i will write to Mr G and ask for my 11.99 back.