Profile for TomtheTall > Reviews

TomtheTall

Iraq
Iraq

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe-inspiring music., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Iraq (Audio CD)
This CD is my first foray into the Iraqi oud greats, and after several months' listening can say I absolutely love it. Munir Bashir was truly an artist on his instrument, and his genius is captured wonderfully on these recordings. The album contains only taqsims so is especially contemplative, but do not let this put you off: there is certainly never a dull moment!

When the Soul Is Settled: Music of Iraq
When the Soul Is Settled: Music of Iraq

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and mysterious music, masterfully played., 25 Feb 2014
If, like me, you are a recent initiate into the world of Arabic classical music, this CD is a very good place to start. It contains diverse performances of various maqamat, including some endemic to Iraq (the oud player is himself, I understand, from the Baghdad school). The playing is powerful, moving, and full of subtlety and nuance.

I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of Souhail Kaspar on riqq and various frame drums I cannot identify: he accompanies Alhaj for the pre-composed sections of the performances, usually at the end of a taqsim.

The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961
The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars If there is a heaven, its music must sound like this., 3 Jan 2014
As numerous other reviewers have said, the subtle beauty of this album cannot be described accurately with words. If you are an Evans fan I cannot stress enough, buy this collection without hesitation! It contains everything recorded from the Sunday session, rather than the selection found on the single CD "Sunday at the Village Vanguard", and captures these three musicians at what is undoubtedly their finest. I can safely say this music changed my life.

Tales of Another
Tales of Another

4.0 out of 5 stars Great record, but what's up with Mr. Peacock's intonation?, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Tales of Another (Audio CD)
There are some really nice modal pieces from this trio under the direction of Gary Peacock. My personal favourites are Vignette and Trilogy II, and carry the "moody" feel of the album very well. I can personally listen through Keith Jarrett's, ahem, idiosyncrasies; the main thing that detracts from the album for me is Gary Peacock's unusually slippery intonation. Maybe he was just having a bad day or something, but he fluffs a number of notes quite noticeably, particularly in his solo in Vignette. I've heard him on plenty of other records and his tuning is spot on, so who knows? Besides that, well worth a listen, especially if you're into the Standards Trio.

La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black
La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable coffee grinder, but some silly design flaws, 13 Mar 2011
This is a fairly competent grinder (I use an Aeropress coffee maker and it grinds the beans well for this purpose), but there are some glaring oversights in its design. The gap inside between the metal dish and the main body of the grinder, for instance: beans invariably get stuck in there and I have to shake the thing this way and that to get them all out. This in turn chucks ground coffee out of the collection drawer and into the bottom compartment.

I also find the adjuster has to be on the tightest possible setting to get anything near a proper espresso grind. The handle often tends to work itself loose, too, although I've yet to experience a deterioration in grind quality as some other reviewers here have.

If you can live with its little niggles (as I seem to) it's a worthy buy, though I doubt it'd grind fine enough for a pump espresso machine.

SONY ERICSSON HPM-70 -BLACK
SONY ERICSSON HPM-70 -BLACK
Offered by LEADS U NEED

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, poor build quality, 18 Jan 2008
This is now the third time I have had to buy these earphones due to the same recurring problem: the end of the adapter that plugs into the phone keeps developing a faulty connection, eventually resulting in the loss of one of the channels (more commonly the left). This happens gradually over time and is extremely annoying, not to mention a waste of time and money as each time I have to go and buy a new adapter & earphones.

In terms of sound quality this is a great product and it works well as a handsfree kit too, just don't expect it to last more than six months.

Poor build quality, as I have come to expect from Sony Ericsson and any other big brand companies that sell their production rights to the lowest bidder.