Profile for V. Thomas > Reviews

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 April 2012
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
I went and saw this film at the cinema when it was coming to the end of its run so there were only four people there so it was really enjoyable to watch. I had to get this for my Auntie as she was unable to get to the cinema and she has really enjoyed it.

As a history student I was not fully aware of this area of history but I have really become interested in George VI and the history surround this and I have found myself watching many documentaries that have been made about him and his father since seeing the film.

The acting in this is superb by all, Colin Firth does a brilliant job in this as he always does. I have only seen Helena in Harry Potter so this role is obviously rather different but I really enjoyed her in this. However for me Geoffrey Rush is amazing I just love him and I am so glad that he got some awards for his role in the film as for me his performance really was the highlight.

The score for the film fits well and I think considering they did not have a big budget like other films do you would honestly not know that when watching the film and I can't believe both Film4 and the BBC passed it over (I bet they are kicking themselves whoever made that decision!)

The Business of Tourism
The Business of Tourism
by Prof Chris Holloway

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those studying at uni, 12 April 2012
I found myself getting this book out of the library at uni so much I thought I should buy it! It is a really good textbook for the general tourism stuff for uni and especially for the theory side which needs to go into essays, really has helped me at uni.

Third Star [DVD]
Third Star [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars "Did you really just say gee whiz!?", 12 April 2012
This review is from: Third Star [DVD] (DVD)
I found the trailer online for this and watched it and I just had to get the DVD, it really is a great film. I would not have thought to have watched it at all but the trailer made it look so funny I thought I would give it a go.
All four of the boys are amazing and I have always been a fan on J.J.Field and Benedict Cumberbatch. I love J.J's acting style, particularly his witty scenes in this film but as I said all four of them are brilliant.

It is really funny but has the serious side to it as well and of course the emotion which you will definitely need tissues for this film no matter how many times you watch it. The scenery is beautiful in the film and the music suits it perfectly, particularly the James Vincent McMorrow song at the end, that really gets me blubbing!

Plus if you have ever wondered what Hugh Bonneville looks like in denim shorts then you really need this DVD, his character is an absolute hoot!!!

10 Minute Solution - Rapid Results Pilates [DVD]
10 Minute Solution - Rapid Results Pilates [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrea Ambandos

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 12 April 2012
I do not usually buy fitness DVDs but I wanted to give Pilates a go without having to find classes to go to or join a gym. I only just got the DVD and I did a few of the workouts. Firstly ouch, I have not stretched my muscles like that ever but I feel really good afterwards and not in pain. I think by doing the slim and sleek stretch segment afterwards really helped me not feel the pain when I was finished.

Lara is really good, really clear in what she is doing and encourages you but not in an annoying way which is what has put me off DVDs before. I have sat and watched the DVD through just so I can understand it first then attempt each segment. You need plenty of room as you are doing a lot of stretching of legs and arms, you will need some light hand weights for some of the exercises and a mat or a carpeted floor but that is it!

The exercise is simple but very effective and challenging if you have not attempted Pilates before but I can see it as something I will use a few times a week and depending how I feel I might want to progress but at the moment it is challenging enough for me!

I did a lot of looking at other Pilates DVDs but I am really pleased I chose this one and I hope that I am as fit and bendy as Lara after a few more workouts!!

Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964]
Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964]
Dvd ~ Julie Andrews
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'd say me special word and then they'd ask me out to tea. Woooo!", 5 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Mary Poppins [DVD] [1964] (DVD)
What can I say, its an explosion of fun! Its packed full of brilliant songs/music and dance numbers that everyone can enjoy and will remember forever! It had been a good few years since I last saw Mary Poppins until it was on t.v a few days ago and I could not believe that I had remembered all the words to every song! I now find myself singing the songs in my head all the time and it just brings a smile on my face.

The entire cast is amazing, of course Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke are just brilliant! One of my favourite actors of all time is David Tomlinson I just love him and I have since a child, he has a brilliant skill of engaging you into anything he does.

The story in this film is captivating and I think children today would enjoy it as much as those who saw it when it was first out, it is a must in any childs dvd collection.

Its a film that will stick with you for your entire life, I hope this film will been seen by children forever as I can't imagine my life without seeing this film! A must see for all(my puppy golden retriever enjoyed the chimmney sweeps dancing on the rooftops!)

Bedknobs And Broomsticks (Special Edition) [DVD] [1971]
Bedknobs And Broomsticks (Special Edition) [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Angela Lansbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 5 Jun. 2010
Bedknobs and Broomsticks can be watched by anyone and has a great cast, David Tomlinson is one of my all time favourite actors and when I think of my childhood television watching I think of him, he is just brilliant!

The film is a great mixture of fun songs (the old home guard is my absolute fave!), dance and animation that can be enjoyed by all, a disney classic!
I could watch it hundreds of times and still love it. I would love for all children to see this film, its innocent, fun and captivating. It brings in some history, that of Nazis and The Home Guard as well as references to rationing and of course children being evacuated from London, it is done in a way that children can understand but also to engage their minds to ask questions and it is certainly one of the ways history was first introduced to me as a child.

I have read in many reviews, not just on here that it tries to do too much and that kids won't understand it. As a child, I don't remember seeing it like that at all! It was easy to get into, brought a smile on my face and gave me hours of enjoyment and personally I don't think you are actually meant to fully understand it, its all about your own imagination and letting it grow! With some of the total twaddle I have seen on childrens t.v recently, I think this is a brilliant replacement for all of that.

The problem is that Bedknobs and Broomsticks is always overshadowed by Mary Poppins but they are two very different films that both should be credited as two of the best disney classics made. A must buy for any parent/grandparent etc that is looking to add films to their childrens collection (although get it from one of the sellers, £13.99 is a rather high price!!!) Buy it and enjoy!

Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Pride & Prejudice - 2005 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

5.0 out of 5 stars You have bewitched me body and soul..., 5 April 2010
I shall say this now that I have never watched the BBC series with Colin Firth so I am therefore unable to compare the two. I have to say I think the movie is great, it is of course not the same as the novel, films that are made now never really stay true to the text or to the history depending on the film so if you are expecting this to do that then be warned this does not as many other reviewers have done.
With a novel you are able to draw upon the descriptions of the characters and the places and make your own mind up as to how they should look etc and you therefore create your own world of Pride and Prejudice. With a film you are unable to do that as you have the visuals there and of course the script is always spiced up to make the film appeal to a "modern" audience.

I personally think it is brilliant from the script to the music! I am not a big Keira Knightly fan and yes there are some points in this film where you may find her slightly annoying, however, I still think she does a great job in this. My favourite is Brenda Blethyn, I think she is hilarious in this and is one of the reasons why I watch this film but the other actors in this are great too (Mr Collins is also rather funny).
In my opinion they do a great job of making you feel exactly as Elizabeth does, you can't stand Mr Darcy at the start but towards the end you melt into a puddle at the sight of Mr Darcy (well, I do anyway!)

To end, it is by the producers of Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary so if you have watched those films you slightly know what to expect. This is a modern version and I would say it is a film for those of us that like to cosy up with a cup of tea and watch a film that has a good bit of romance and a male character that we can fall in love with. Everbody has their own opinion on this film and with every film, some love it and some hate it. If you are able to get away from the ideas and images of the novel and the BBC series, I think you will enjoy this film.

Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Adore this film, James McAvoy is a dream!!, 25 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Becoming Jane [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I am sure that the film is not true to Jane's life but in the extras a lot is explained as to why they had certain things in there etc.
The whole thing is captivating, I can't get enough of this film! The acting in this is brilliant and Anne's British accent is very good. There is some comedy, sadness and a little bit of drama and of course romance.
I was aware of James McAvoy after seeing him in Atonement but my God in this film he certainly left me feeling weak at the knees. I agree very much with readaholic's views, I certainly wanted to go and elope with him after watching this!!!
If you love a little bit of a cry and a romance this film is perfect for you. If you are someone that is expecting this film to tell the exact story of Jane Austen then I would say this is possibly not the film for you.
If you are a James McAvoy fan (in the way of lusting over him but of course his acting ability too) prepare to drool for about 90% of this film!!!!

Flagship History - United States 1917-2008: and Civil Rights 1865-1992
Flagship History - United States 1917-2008: and Civil Rights 1865-1992
by Derrick Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my a-level history, 23 Mar. 2010
When I was doing American history for my final a-level exams I was trying to find a book that covered the areas I was doing. I had purchased the British History book in the series the year before and was a great help and so I decided to buy this one as I love the format of this book.
It covers key questions and the book is very well set out, especially when it comes to revision. As someone that likes to work on their own rather than be taught in a classroom this was of great help, a must buy!!

Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DVD I have watched in 2010 (so far anyway!), 23 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Young Victoria [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This film is just beautiful I can't stop watching it! All the actors in this are fantastic but Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend are superb.
As someone that loves their history, especially the Victorians, yes there are parts that aren't 100% historically accurate but you usually find with most films now that they don't stick to actual history as it doesn't sell tickets or DVD's! It covers the "Kensington System" in the film as well as her naivety when it came to Lord Melbourne and of course her relationship with Prince Albert.

As some have suggested it skips from one place to another somewhat but personally it did not affect me, if you watch the deleted scenes you will see some perhaps important scenes that were not included in the final cut(for example Lady Flora Hastings). Also the other dvd extras are very good to watch.

But the main reason I love this film is for the love story which blossoms between Victoria and Albert which is done in such a beautiful way. We see them fall in love with each other, something that wasn't really meant to happen as Albert had been selected as a possible candidate for Victoria since their childhood. The film really does make you realise perhaps why Victoria went into such a deep state of mourning, because they adored each other which is portrayed so well in the film by Emily and Rupert.

The costumes are gorgeous as well as the settings and script writing, and the music in this is stunning and really suits every scene(as someone that is in their very late teens this is quite a statement for me!)This is truely a beautiful film. Maybe not everybodys cup of tea but it certainly is mine!!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2010 3:58 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2