Profile for mcdowella > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers - Bark, Regular-32 Inch
Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers - Bark, Regular-32 Inch

4.0 out of 5 stars Repeat buy - suit me very well, 22 Nov 2014
This is a repeat buy - the previous pair are still going strong, but having a second pair seemed like a good idea. This pair arrived very promptly and seem identical to the previous pair. They do seem slightly less generously cut than a very old pair, bought from a shop, but the difference isn't enormous. These suit me very well for walking and cycling, and since they're not jeans, they don't fail the dress code at work.

The Empire's Corps
The Empire's Corps

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, if not entirely convincing, 5 Oct 2014
This book has echoes of both Asimov's Foundation series (a world cast loose at the edge of a declining empire) and Pournelle's Falkenberg series,especially Prince of Sparta (let's rewrite anti-colonialist insurgencies so that the empire wins). The Empire's Corps in the title are modeled on the US Marine Corp, and are the single uncorruptable element in a very corrupt empire - which is where I need convincing, despite the infallible lie-detectors the author gives them (possibly less useful for this purpose than the surveillance state we are creating in real life). I intend to read further installments of the series to see if the author can maintain this element of the story, and, if so, to see exactly what it is this band of perfect knights will end up being faithful to.

Sebago Men's GIBRALTAR Ankle Boots B70243 Brown 11 UK
Sebago Men's GIBRALTAR Ankle Boots B70243 Brown 11 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardwearing and comfortable, although not everlasting, 7 Sep 2014
I see that I ordered a pair of these in early Feb 2013 and have now received a pair ordered in late August 2014, so I got almost 19 months out of the last pair, wearing almost nothing else outside the house and trying to get in a short brisk walk on pavement every day. The old pair have the heels worn down to expose what seems to be a deliberate void inside them, and enough wear on the stitching inside that I didn't investigate getting them resoled. I had a third pair before, very slightly different, with soles marked Vibram, which seemed to last for an unusually long time. However I was used to buying a new pair of shoes every year then, and wearing both shoes and sneakers. I gave up wearing sneakers after I noticed that with these shows I didn't have to lose skin off my feet to get used to them, which I had to do with other shoes, even sneakers. Why lose skin getting used to anything else when these fit me well enough that I don't have to?

USB 2.0 Extension Cable - 1m - Male A to Female A - Extend Length of Existing USB Cables - Indigo Banana Media (1 Metre)
Offered by Indigo Banana

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at a reasonable price, 12 Aug 2014
I work with a PC with USB slots on the floor and I wanted to plug in the USB at my desk. This does the job perfectly, at a reasonable price.

The Essence of Medieval Philosophy
The Essence of Medieval Philosophy

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting selection of excerpts, 12 July 2014
This is a collection of excerpts from medieval theologian-philosophers, each preceded by a historical introduction. It's certainly good value for the price, but it's not an all-purpose guide. It concentrates on the philosophy, as opposed to the application of this to theology. It edits articles out of the scholastic disputation format, which makes them clearer, but hides some of the context and clues to how these conclusions were arrived at and defended. I bought this hoping for an examination of what seems to have been a disillusionment with reason around the time of Ockham. Not much of this is covered here, because it is tangled up with Ockham's views on the Trinity, which I guess counts as religion. On the other hamd, there is a very interesting treatment of how Bacon's contribution to the birth of the scientific method arose from the philosophy of knowledge.

Sousa: Sousa Original - Volume 1, United States Marine Band (UK Import)
Sousa: Sousa Original - Volume 1, United States Marine Band (UK Import)
Offered by AbundaTrade

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - as promised by Jed Bartlet!, 15 Jun 2014
I bought this because, near the end of the TV series "The West Wing", President Bartlet recommends to his successor that he listen to the US Marines playing Semper Fi - which you can do if you buy this CD! It's a very good CD of marches, including Semper Fi, although I have a Sousa CD by "The Wallace Collection" which isn't obviously outclassed by this, so it doesn't quite as exceptional as Bartlet promises - but then I'm not the cultured connoisseur that he is!

Vavert Men's Memory Foam Comfort Saddle with Satin Steel Rails - Black/Blue, 26.7 x 16.8 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than the saddles it replaces, 6 Jun 2014
I cycle in fleece jogging shorts for up to three quarters of an hour at a time. I have previously used Bontrager and Selle Royalle gell saddles. This has a more pronounced central valley, which you can just about see in the picture. It feels softer when you poke it with your fingers, but when you sit on it it feels quite firm, but comfortable - which I guess is what to expect from memory foam. I prefer it to these two especially as - perhaps in self defense - I ended up putting almost all my weight on one side with those saddles, but with this one I can comfortably sit balanced, as I do on an exercise bike.

Classic Sousa, Vol.2 [IMPORT]
Classic Sousa, Vol.2 [IMPORT]

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived promptly in good condition, 5 Jun 2014
Arrived promptly and in good condition. I was surprised to find that this was more like a band concert than a sequence of stirring marches, but it's still good music well played. I guess it's what the President's band does, too - entertainment to a general audience rather than revving the visitors up for a route march.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.0 SPEAKERS (PAIR) (BLACK)
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.0 SPEAKERS (PAIR) (BLACK)
Offered by HiFix

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for their size and price, 27 April 2014
My amp drives two pairs of speakers, so I could compare these against a more expensive and much larger, but older, pair of floor-standing Yamahas (NS-45E). By choosing the right music, and concentrating, I can find a difference, but it's very small. These are ideal for extending my hi-fi to cover my computer desk, where I play classical and MOR music at moderate to low volumes. I have them on full-size Atacama stands, because they replace a pair of JPW AP3s (rubber around bass driver dozed). They look a bit overwhelmed there, but I no longer need to worry about knocking them over by accident. Delivered promptly in a very manageable package, too, so it was easy to take home and didn't cause comment when it arrived at work.

Under Armour Mirage 8" Multisports Men's Shorts - Black, M
Under Armour Mirage 8" Multisports Men's Shorts - Black, M

3.0 out of 5 stars Very lightweight, except for heavy elastic at top, 6 April 2014
Except for a heavy elasticated waistband, these are of very light material, and remind me of synthetic boxer shorts (i.e. underpants). Given this, it's unfortunate that the back of the waist also bears the phrase "UNDER ARMOUR" in letters nearly two inches high - hopefully my clothing will cover that most of the time. The pockets are mesh. Light enough and packs down small enough that there's no excuse not taking these with you on a trip in the hope of exercise, but otherwise I'd prefer something a bit more substantial - although I did cycle for half an hour in these on a dull April day without freezing anything off. As for sizing - I'm a 32" or 34" waist depending on cut, and the elastic on an M fitting was powerful enough that I'm glad I didn't go for an S.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3