Profile for B. Van der Walt > Reviews

Content by B. Van der Walt

B. Van der Walt (Oudtshoorn, South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ivor Novello: Portrait of a Star
Ivor Novello: Portrait of a Star
by Paul Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars quite a good read, 22 Oct. 2013
Have always been interested in Novello musicals and towards the end I found the narrative slightly tedious.

Did not manage to keep my concentration and interest so much.

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet [Blu-ray] [2007] [2009] [Region Free]
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet [Blu-ray] [2007] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Macmillan

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart achingly beautiful, 15 Aug. 2013
I am not a ballet dancer only a lifelong devotee of the art. My review is therefore merely that of a huge fan and I go to as many performances as I am able. Tamara and Carlos absolutely convinced me that they were two very young starstruck teenagers. :I enjoyed the humour and sobbed at the very sad end. Have watched this ballet so many times and featuring many other dancers, I can only say that these two principles convinced me of their really being in love with each other.

Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (Bolshoi Theatre: Svetlana Zakharova, David Hallberg, Maria Allash) [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Tchaikovsky

5.0 out of 5 stars a perrenial favourite, 15 Aug. 2013
Having read quite a few negative critiques of Svetlana's dancing I decided I would be extremely critical.
I was completely seduced by the sheer beauty of her dancing. The Rose Adagio was wonderful and David Hallberg is an accomplished danseur. I was never bored as I have been with some productions. I can really say I was completely mesmerised by the music and at times found myself smiling with utter joy. A super treat

Redeeming Features
Redeeming Features
by Nicky Haslam

5.0 out of 5 stars highly entertaining, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Redeeming Features (Paperback)
Having bought 'Folie de Grandeur' on a recent visit to London. I decided I;d like to know more about the author.
Well, now I Know!!! He is entertaining and his storytelling is never boring or longwinded!!! I can really recommend this if you are looking for a bit of nostalgia and name-dropping...........

Elvira Madigan
Elvira Madigan
Dvd ~ Thommy Berggren

2.0 out of 5 stars No English subtitles, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Elvira Madigan (DVD)
This movie has not stood the test of time.......thin story line and even the Mozart and Vivaldi soundtrack can no longer be the added attraction to the flimsy script

Nicky Haslam's Folly de Grandeur: Romance and revival in an English country house
by Nicky Haslam

5.0 out of 5 stars great house, 12 July 2013
have wanted this book for ever so long .........lived up to all my expectations. what a delight !!! lovely to possess

Silver Linings Playbook [Blu-ray]
Silver Linings Playbook [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars The Oscar Hype justified, 7 May 2013
A revelation !!!! Jennifer Lawrence deserved her Oscar and Bradley Cooper just improves with every movie I see him in. These two plus Robert de Niro make this movie one of the Greats IMHO.

A Gershwin Night [DVD] [2004]
A Gershwin Night [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

5.0 out of 5 stars Gershwin at his best !!!, 7 May 2013
The jazz trio exposed a great new world of Gershwin to me. I simply LOVED IT !!! Seiji Osawa and the Berlin Phil showed their passion for music whatever the genre !!!!

Ballerina: Sex, Scandal, and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection
Ballerina: Sex, Scandal, and Suffering Behind the Symbol of Perfection
by Deirdre Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballet exposed, 7 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. My sympathy has always been with the ballerinas since their careers are in many respects so short. Totally manipulated by so many .

Rachmaninov; Symphony No.2
Rachmaninov; Symphony No.2

3.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony, 7 May 2013
I hugely prefer the Sir Simon Rattle reading especially the Adagio. It has much more passion than the Gergiev Recording.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3