Profile for Dave > Reviews

Content by Dave

Dave

Buzz! Pop Quiz Bundle (PS2)
Buzz! Pop Quiz Bundle (PS2)
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 17.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Gott in himmel !!, 6 April 2014
Needed new wired-buzzers for our old PS2. Found these advertised along with a pop-quiz game. "Result" I thought. Items arrived in the given time scale. The goods were boxed, but the box was somewhat battered & had obviously seen better days. Stuck to it was a post-it note with a hand written message, "German Import". Inside were the 4 wired buzzers & 3, not 1, games. "So what is he complaining about?", I hear you ask. Well, the games are all in German !! And there is no facility for changing the language to English ( to French & Dutch yes, but not English!!!). Now, I tried learning German some years ago but it never "took". A bit of a disadvantage then. Whether the buzzers are actually new is debatable. They do work, but for how long is anybody's guess. Bottom line -- order from this particular Company at your peril.

Am-Tech 11-inch Long Nose Plier
Am-Tech 11-inch Long Nose Plier
Offered by AP Motor Store
Price: 5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick this long-nose plier, 6 April 2014
Look and feel good quality. Did the job they were bought for (retrieve a sock stuck in the washing machine outlet pipe !!), and an excellent price as well. All-in-all, a good purchase.

Draper 50829 Carpenters Pincer 175mm
Draper 50829 Carpenters Pincer 175mm
Offered by Dealsdirect247
Price: 5.20

1.0 out of 5 stars No "jaw-king", 11 April 2013
Needed these to use at work. Unfortunately, on the top of where the jaws meet there is a tiny V-shaped "notch", just enough that the jaws do not get in under nail heads, unless they are sticking out slightly proud of the wood. Had to use a screwdriver to prise nails out slightly before I could get to work with these pincers. Bought a (cheaper) pair - not Drapers - from a DIY store; Jaws meet EXACTLY at the top; no notch; no screwdriver needed. Drapers pincers consigned to the bottom of the tool box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2014 11:16 AM BST

WHITE PLASTIC / NYLON TOILET SEAT HINGE FITTING / FIXING. BATHROOM FITTINGS AND ACCESSORIES.
Offered by The Home Store
Price: 5.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to go on, 11 April 2013
Item arrived on time.Was exactly what I needed to fix a toilet seat in the Primary school I work for. Looks sturdier than previous ones purchased in my local DIY store ( and cheaper too ). With luck, the kids won't break this as easily as other fittings I've used.

Hi-Tec Men's V-Lite Infinity Pro HPI Black/Silver/Cobalt Trainer O001116/021/01 8 UK
Offered by Jarrolds Department Store
Price: 65.00

1.0 out of 5 stars If the shoe fits......., 22 Feb 2013
In this case the shoe didn't fit !! I am, & have been for as long as I can remember, a UK size 8. Thats what I ordered. Thats what came. But it was more like a 9. Where my toe ended the shoe continued on. They were returned the day I received them. And that was the high point. Amazon's returns service was nothing short of excellent. Pity I couldn't say the same about the shoes.

Sub Sports DUAL Men's Compression Baselayer Short Sleeve Top - Medium, White
Sub Sports DUAL Men's Compression Baselayer Short Sleeve Top - Medium, White
Price: 20.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Straight-jacket, 12 Sep 2012
SUB DUAL Sports Compression Fit Baselayer Top Short Sleeve
I've never worn a base-layer before but, browsing through the sports wear on Amazon I came across this product and thought it might help coax some extra mileage from my ageing body. Normally I only jog about 10/12 miles per week but up the ante when preparing to do the very occassional 10K or half marathon. Now whether I didn't read or take note of any previous comments about sizing, I don't know. I just followed the makers advice. My chest measurement was - is - at the lower end of the medium size. So thats what I ordered. Delivery great. Feel of shirt, very soft. Then I tried it on. Well, I've never worn a corset (as a male I've never felt the need, want or urge to do so), a straight-jacket or had a full body cast put on. But once I put this shirt on I found out what it would be like to wear any one of those items!! It felt like all my internal organs were being rearranged in a way God never intended. Whatever your size, ignore the sizing chart & get the next size up. As for keeping you cool when it's warm (so far i've only used it in warm weather) no it didn't. Maybe thats the sizing thing again, but I still perspired like the proverbial pig. Aids blood flow therefore more Oxygen to the brain etc? Jury still out on that one, but it's not looking good. Bottom line; in this particular case, size DOES matter.

The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers (None)
The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers (None)
by Cecil R. Humphery-Smith
Price: 32.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Phillimore, 14 Feb 2011
I have just received The Phillimore Atlas & Index of Parish Registers.
First, the good bits; The usual excellent service from Amazon. The book arrived when I was told it would. Spot on. A near 40% saving on the full price. A good-looking item!
Now the not-so-good bits; I have been researching my family history for a little while, & have got to the stage where I now need to search pre-1837 i.e. Parish, records. Having read all the (rave) reviews about how helpful this Atlas/Index was in that direction, I decided to treat myself to a copy. Now I'm left wondering why.I won't go over the information contained in this book. See previous reviews for that. Suffice to say I found that the internet had already provided me with all the information this book provides, certainly for my own Counties of interest. Before anyone purchases a copy themselves, I suggest they contact The County record office for their area of interst. If the records they are looking for are not there, i'm sure the staff at the office will point them in the right direction. Otherwise, get a copy from the library. Which is exactly what I should have done first! This book would have been of use pre-internet days, but now? Sorry, not a well spent 30+