Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Nuke > Reviews

Content by Nuke

Nuke (UK)

Freefall (Tunnels Book 3)
Freefall (Tunnels Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Freefall, 28 Dec. 2009
Thoroughly enjoyable adventure deep within the earth. Book 3 in the Tunnels series. Brilliant fast paced adventure, I couldn't put it down. Suitable for boys, girls, teens and adults - about everyone, I reckon. I agree with the positive comments in previous reviews. The ending left me longing for book 4, which Amazon have listed as `Closer' - roll on May 2010!

Tunnels series - Teenager Will Burrows and his friend Chester have fallen deep beneath the Colony, an underground city built beneath London. They are pursued by the Styx, an evil race who have plans to live once again on the earth's surface - but the have no plans to share it with the rest of us (Topsoilers)! The Styx have Dominion for that - a deadly virus, entrusted to their most powerful Styx, namely two twin girls called Rebecca! In this book we see Will try to prevent the virus from reaching the surface and once again team up with his step-father. Dr Burrows finds evidence to suggest there may have been an ancient civilisation deeper down within the centre of the earth, in the `Garden of the Second Sun' - the Styx perhaps or something else??

Deeper (Tunnels Book 2)
Deeper (Tunnels Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeper delivers - Sensational sequel to Tunnels, 7 Jun. 2008
This sequel finds 14 year old Will Burrows, his younger brother Cal and friend Chester journey further underground into The Deeps; a place where those banished from the Colony are not expected to survive. They try to find Will's stepfather Dr Burrows, who wanders alone compiling a journal of it's hidden depths and seeking clues to a lost civilisation - quite oblivious to any danger, even when a large arachnid takes a liking to him!

The boys struggle with the many adversities they face, in a world of everlasting darkness, exhausting heat, prehistoric creatures, deadly caves and vast expanses of desert, lava tubes and sea - to name but a few! They are befriended by renegades Blake and Elliott (girl), who are resilient and inventive in surviving the dangerous and difficult conditions. However, when they find that a small army of Styx is closing in on them, pursuing them day and night, they soon realise that it is `Will' who they are hunting - but why and by whom takes them by surprise.

In The Deeps the Styx have been devising a weapon that will cleanse the world of the sinners who live above ground (Topsoilers - us!), enabling them to return to the surface and regain what they see is rightfully theirs. Will eventually comes face to face with his adoptive sister Rebecca and realises that she is at the heart of the plan, but - she is not alone!!

I would say this sequel is suited to ages 11+ (fluent readers). I see it appealing to children, teens and adults who enjoy a fast paced, action-packed `dark' adventure, nail biting suspense and a few surprises along the way - some more grisly than others! Deeper gets off to a flying start and retains it's momentum with three contrasting stories of Will, Sarah Jerome and Dr Burrows. After the frantic journeys to exotic places in the far reaches of the Deeps, I was ready for the dramatic finale at The Pore. A thrilling end, not without death and sorrow (will say no more!), with also a flavour of what may follow.

The characters are believable and compelling, pushed to extremes their insecurities are heightened and their courage and friendship tested. I particularly enjoyed the stories of Sarah and Cal, who both faced such diverse emotions. Sarah with her strength and survival instincts, but what a contrast when she opens up about losing her baby - a mother and a heroine for me. The early exuberance of Cal was soon eroded by his time in The Deeps, despite Will's best efforts to protect his young brother, and I found myself wanting to rescue him from the physical and emotional pain he endured.

The fluent and descriptive writing made this menacing and oppressive subterranean world below the streets of London, come alive for me. The attention to detail and vivid imagery so meticulously formed in Tunnels has paid off, making this sequel a sensational and rewarding read.

The Amulet of Samarkand (Amulet Trilogy)
The Amulet of Samarkand (Amulet Trilogy)
by Jonathan Stroud

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb trilogy, 20 Feb. 2008
Trainee magician Nathaniel wants revenge, he calls upon djinn Bartimaeus to help, but he just wants to kill Nathaniel. Books 2 & 3 also superb. One of my favourite children's fiction reads. I cannot recommend the wonderful 'Bartimaeus Trilogy' highly enough. This is a book I could read many times over. The positive reviews posted on Amazon are much deserved. Also recommended - Gordon & Williams 'Tunnels', Philip Reeve 'Mortal Engines' quartet, P. B Kerr 'Children of the Lamp' series, Angie Sage 'Magyk' series and Stuart Hill 'The Cry of the Icemark' and sequel.

The Highfield Mole: The Circle in the Spiral: Bk. 1
The Highfield Mole: The Circle in the Spiral: Bk. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST children's fiction I have ever read, 1 July 2007
I have just reviewed Tunnels (formely self-published as The Highfield Mole) and this is what I think:

TUNNELS - Exhilarating, spine-tingling journey to a hidden and menacing world deep beneath the streets of London. Will Burrows and his Father share a love of digging but when his Father disappears down a tunnel and doesn't come back - Will sets out on an amazing journey. Quite simply THE BEST children's fiction I have ever read.

Adults and children of all ages will warm to the loyalty, compassion and determination shown by the central character, 14 year old Will Burrows. The story follows Will's great friendship with Chester and the adversities they face together from school bullies, Will's unconventional family and the chilling world they uncover when digging below the surface. I may be in my 30s but I read nothing but children's fiction and I get a buzz from buying my god-daughters a book, that will stir their imagination and inspire and enthuse a love of reading. Tunnels is one of those very few books that can do that.

So why does Will look different from the rest of his family? Why are there strange people following him? Why does he spend every waking moment planning to dig deeper and deeper tunnels and where does he end up? What will he find when he gets there - and WHO? Not something you can guess, so get reading TUNNELS!!

Good luck to these talented author's, I can't wait for the sequel and the one after that.

Tunnels (Tunnels 1)
Tunnels (Tunnels 1)
by Roderick Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC - The BEST children's fiction I have ever read, 1 July 2007
This review is from: Tunnels (Tunnels 1) (Paperback)

Adults and children of all ages will warm to the loyalty, compassion and determination shown by the central character, 14 year old Will Burrows. The story follows Will's great friendship with Chester and the adversities they face together, from school bullies, Will's unconventional family and the chilling world they uncover when digging below the surface. I may be in my 30s but I read nothing but children's fiction and I get a buzz from buying my god-daughters a book, that will stir their imagination and inspire and enthuse a love of reading. Tunnels is one of those very few books that can do that.

So why does Will look different from the rest of his family? Why are there strange people following him? Why does he spend every waking moment planning to dig deeper and deeper tunnels and where does he end up? What does he find when he gets there - and WHO? Not something you can guess, so get reading TUNNELS!!