Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "patrick_font_dean" (Warwicks)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jamie's 15-Minute Meals
Jamie's 15-Minute Meals
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Samie Jamie..., 1 July 2013
So I would concur with what you see in other reviews. 15 minutes would be "I've already got the ingredients out, I'm dextrous as a magician and I've memorised the recipe so I don't need to check the recipe book".

My record is 20 minutes :)

There are some stupid shortcuts - tearing a pepper isn't any quicker than slicing it. Taking the peel off garlic before crushing it isn't any slower than putting the whole thing in then picking out the bits that didn't make it through!

There's a stack of repetition with variations on a theme : - salads feature highly, as does couscous. Many chicken dishes pretty much start the same "season it with #spices# and bosh them with a rolling pin before frying in a pan". Often a food processor is required to make some kind of a dressing that if you wanted to save more time could be bought. [Though with that attitude, I might as well just get ready meals lol]

The cooking sequence seems a bit hectic, but I think that's how Jamie's head works.

And that's also the beauty of the way the book works, and indeed the way the recipes work, which is why this gets 4*. It's kind of frenetic, there's lots of ingredients going together from loads of different places, all interweaving really really nicely. I think the 15 minutes thing is just to encourage people that it's quicker than you think, and no great skill is required. The ingredients do so much of the work, with a couple of neat techniques and serving ideas thrown in, and it does properly look good when it's all done.

Recently I've been using this book and Online delivery supermarket shopping and it's really expanded my meal horizons!

Batman: Arkham Asylum Anniversary Edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum Anniversary Edition
by Grant Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Messed Up... in a good way, 3 Jan. 2013
The artwork for this is nothing like I've seen before in comic books. It's more of an odd art project than your traditional graphic novel. There is stacks going on though, and the script notes at the back point stuff out that you may not have otherwise noticed. Many layered, and lots of symbolism, it's clearly very well thought out, though whether that translates to a good Batman story is another matter.
I'm still making my mind up as to whether a camp joker is a good thing or not, I get that the vaudevillian aspect of his character has influence here, but for me it detracts from any level of menace.
I enjoyed it, and the artwork is dark and disturbing at points, but I didn't really get into the overall themes in a way that made it 5*.

Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1
Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Required reading companion for TDKR, 5 Oct. 2012
Kindle edition on Galaxy S3, looks great, text a little small, but the zoom in works a treat. For some reason doesn't work on the iPad, keep getting "Computer says no" errors. If it worked across both devices it'd be more stars.

Story itself is very exciting, mammoth, epic, as Bats runs the gauntlet before Bane takes him down. And I don't think that's a spoiler...

Superman: Brainiac
Superman: Brainiac
by Geoff Johns

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great outing for the Man of Steel, 6 April 2011
This review is from: Superman: Brainiac (Paperback)
A great book, if a little short, seeing Superman face off against Brainiac. Brainiac is an interesting foe for the Man of Steel, it's always good to see Supes have to fight back from a disadvantage, in this case that the baddie is just so powerful at times. Artwork was great, and some shots clearly based on the Reeves/Kidder Clark/Lois, which is no bad thing IMO.

I enjoyed this more than "Last Son" but preferred "Red Son" and "Earth One".

Super B Chain Whip Sprocket Freewheel Cassette Tool
Super B Chain Whip Sprocket Freewheel Cassette Tool
Offered by Cyclaire

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, does the job., 12 Nov. 2010
To be honest, there's not a great deal that could go wrong with a chain whip, they're very simple things. This one does the job. As with all tools where force is involved it'd be physically easier if the handle was longer, but you can always improvise with a metal pipe. (Also, if every tool had a massive handle we'd need bigger toolboxes hehe).

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars If you've got time to spare..., 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
I read this whilst in hospital for 2 weeks, the sheer scale of the book doing well to fill the time. The book is epic, and could quite easily have been split into several books, in fact the author does well to fit as much as he does in to the book. The thing that messed with my head a little bit is the whole "based on a true story" so I was constantly wondering whether events had actually occurred, slightly embellished or complete fiction.

The beautiful descriptions and spiritual analogies the author uses to describe stuff didn't really add anything for me, and often the chapters ended with a Jerry Springer type poetic ending which I didn't find necessary. Others might have enjoyed that more, I didn't.

I was lent this book by a friend. In short, I'm glad I've read it, but I wouldn't consider owning it.

Rabbids Go Home (Wii)
Rabbids Go Home (Wii)
Offered by Hauseinkauf

4.0 out of 5 stars BAAAAAH!, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Rabbids Go Home (Wii) (Video Game)
The rabbids are insane, adorable, tough and cute. The game just kept me laughing the whole way through, there's tonnes of anarchic fun to be had. The real star is the simplicity of the graphics and sound effects, from the New Orleans jazz bands to the "bombomdiddibooom" of the rabbids talking to each other. Hilarious the whole way through.
There's not a huge deal of replay value, but is very entertaining.

Go Gels - Isotonic Energy Gel - Box of 30
Go Gels - Isotonic Energy Gel - Box of 30

2.0 out of 5 stars 3 per hour!? This maybe isn't the product for me...., 11 Nov. 2010
I bought these a while ago for a big bike tour (Lands End to Jon O Groats), and whilst they are very easy to consume, and just slip down the gullet when you need the sugar the most, the sheer volume I'd need to consume to keep the calories up makes these badboys impractical. The packaging recommended taking 3 per hour.. not sure I'd want to consume that much!?

PROS:
Sugar/glucose mix supposedly optimised for sports.
Getting at the sugar is easy thanks to the tear-off tab at the top.
No chewing and very little swallowing required. Excellent quick hit.
Caffeine content good for sports performance.

CONS:
Even if it's sports optimised, there are better value sports fuels available. (Snickers bars, Bananas, Lemonade)
Sticky residue... No matter how much you squeeze out, as soon as you put that "empty" packet back in your pocket, you'll find a magical extra 20% has now dribbled all over your pocket.

In the end, it's down to taste. The speeds/distances we were doing, I didn't feel like these helped, but I would consider them good back-up fuel for quick hits on long rides, or perhaps for racing. I'd probably buy these again, but use them sparingly.

The Fat of the Land
The Fat of the Land
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an amazing album!!, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Fat of the Land (Audio CD)
This is some of the best stuff these guys have done. Now I can't say that it's going to appeal to everyone, but those that do will REALLY REALLY like it! It's a bargain, if you don't have this album and you are passionate about your music, this should not disappoint. It's a great one for listening to whilst working out, the beats just keep you going.

dhb Earnley Roubaix Arm Warmers (Black, Large/X-Large)
dhb Earnley Roubaix Arm Warmers (Black, Large/X-Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatility, 6 Oct. 2010
The fact that the English weather doesn't ever really seem to know what it's doing means that if you're going to be cycling all day, you need to carry a wardrobe with you to have the right clothing to cope. These arm-warmers allow for extra warmth without carrying too much extra clothing, and are perfect for those "early cold starts but it might brighten up later on" days. (See also, "it's a bit warm at the moment, but I reckon it'll be colder on the way back").

If you've already got a short-sleeved cycling tee, these will mean you can re-use that as a long-sleeve... for a fraction of the cost!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3