Profile for David Walsh > Reviews

OP/TECH Bin/Op Strap QD for Compact Cameras and Binoculars - Black
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras
Price: 10.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 17 Jun 2014
This strap is neither too long or too short, but allows a small compact camera (with two strap lugs) to hang from the users neck or cross wise from one shoulder to the opposite side of the body. The latter use may not be possible in broad people however. This I find more comfortable than the manufacturers concept of a wrist strap. A further advantage is the ability to push the camera to the full extent of the slightly elasticated strap and thus steady the camera in a triangle between ones neck and two hands. This is good for low light and video shooting.

Intimacy
Intimacy
Price: 4.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Intimacy (Kindle Edition)
I was interested to read one of Kureishi's novels, having watched a biopic about him in the BBC Culture Show. Since this one had been used to illustrate how his stories mirrored his personal life, I thought the complete novel might explain more about his decision to abandon his sons and leave the family home. Instead it is a rather tawdry tale of a man abandoning his current life for total uncertainty and yet for no particularly good reason. However, it was an interesting, if not unique, exercise in story development; jumping around in time telling bits at a time and, I thought, ending in a foregone conclusion. Others may like it, but I don't think I will be buying any more of his works. I should add that I noticed one of the films covered in the Kureishi biopic, on TV a few days later and that was yet another plot based on the abandonment of moderate life success for nothing much at all.

WD My Passport Ultra 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive with Auto and Cloud Backup - Titanium
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little drive, 22 Feb 2014
I bought this to speed up access to a lot of data and image files, I had on larger Tbyte drive. This is compact and fast and takes full advantage of the USB3 ports on a new desktop I bought last year. No complaints at all about this wee drive, particularly the small size and lack of need for a separate power supply.

Over the Hills and Far Away
Over the Hills and Far Away
Price: 2.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Local interest, 19 Feb 2014
I bought this ebook, because it was a collection of writings emanating from a local family. I knew the story of the young girls tragic death, but had no insight into her personality, since her mother moved away from the area and the Invereighty estate passed into another family's hands. So the collection represented an interesting insight into some local history.

Quite how interesting it would be to others from elsewhere I do not know. The events are not so old and many other living individuals have a better insight into the events of that time than would be possible from a teenager. It reveals some of the veneer of her class, which might be of interest to historians, though I detected little that would shake conventional historical outlook.
We must be grateful to the relative who compiled this collection and the potted history he has added, but I suspect it will not be of wide interest. But who knows!

Nation
Nation
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tsunami, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nation (Kindle Edition)
I recognise what some level as a criticism of this book. If you were expecting another Diskworld book, you will be disappointed. I enjoyed reading this book and liked the parallel world Mr Pratchett has developed around a post-tsunami Pacific Island recovering from disaster. It is only a novel, but has its share of social comment, cynicism and some humour, although the latter is not belly splitting or frequent. For those who like Terry's usual barrage of amusing asides and footnotes, this may not be the book for them. Look upon it more as a slightly different genre and an author applying a slightly different technique.

WMicroUK Top Quality 12MP 940NM 2.5 inch LCD Hunting Camera HT002LI With rechargeable lithium battery UK
Offered by Oxford Street
Price: 96.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Trail Camera HT002LI, 3 Feb 2014
Being involved in wild mammal welfare in the UK, I had a need to establish a relationship between tracking signs and actual occupation of their homes (badger setts particularly). I had spent some time studying various websites and reviews, trying to narrow down the most useful trail cameras for my purpose. The number of people submitting reviews is limited compared with other types of consumer products, so there was less to go on and also something of a paucity of technical detail. Reviews also contained quite a few from hunters and particularly from the US, so were far from something I was sympathetic to.

In the end I was beginning to see that there was not much difference between the facilities offered by most of the manufacturers and that prices varied enormously between various retailers of the same models. I finally did something I seldom do and bought something without a body of reviewers, but with the advertised functions I needed and at a price I could justify.

The product was delivered rapidly, from the UK and well packed. It seems well constructed and all seemed in working order, with the exception that somewhere in transit something pointed had penetrated the parcel and into the product box. However, all seemed well, until I got to the small CD, bearing the product manual, which was shattered. This is not a reflection on the retailer or the product. I contacted the suppliers via the Amazon Returns procedure and received a rapid and sympathetic response from WMMicro UK. I supplied them with requested photographs with which to confront the carrier and they directed me to a website from which I could download a pdf version of the manual, since they carried no spare disks.

At present I have only used the camera in test conditions at home, but it seems easy to set up and takes quite good still and video images in daylight. I intend to place it in the wild in the next few days and will report back if I run into any difficulties, though I do not believe I shall have any (touch wood), but if I do I am fairly confident that WMMicroUK will be as helpful as they have been so far. So apart from the manual which is adequate, but contains some language aberrations, almost to be expected from Far East manufacturers, the price is good and the product up to the task. I would recommend it to others with a similar need.

Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy 3)
Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy 3)
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Owner Trilogy, 3 Feb 2014
A great series, full of novel ideas and twists. It is a sobering account of the corruption which absolute power generates. Read it.

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 5 Device DVD(PC/Mac)
Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 5 Device DVD(PC/Mac)
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure Anywhere, 3 Feb 2014
I bought a license for this software last year and when it was approaching expiration, I felt it was so good and convenient that I should renew. However the cost of the license was very high, compared with last year. As a result I explored Amazon's reviews etc and discovered that buying a new copy of last year's edition was far cheaper. All one needed to do was re-register the product using the code included with the installation disk, so no reinstallation required.

This software is very cloud based so updates and scans make use of internet access. As a result it occupies a minimal footprint on your harddisk and scans are always against an up-to-date database of malware. It is rapid and does not slow down your PC, while scanning. It also does not bombard you with messages about possible infections etc. I would recommend the product without reservation, as the best security suite I have used and I have tried most of them in the last 15 years or so.

The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy 3)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lewis Men Trilogy, 3 Feb 2014
I was sucked in by another book authored by Peter May, called "Hebrides", which was a Christmas present from my daughter. This is largely a photographically illustrated book with a text explaining the writer's relationship to the upper half of the Outer Hebrides. It eventually evolves into a series of extracts from the Lewis Men Trilogy and an explanation of where various events took place and why.

I know this archipelago reasonably well from several visits to these wonderful islands and my exploration of them by car, foot and bicycle, but I was least impressed by Lewis, though it certainly had its moments. This book, however, gave a background which whetted my interest and I bought the Kindle version of the trilogy. I have to admit it has turned out to be a "can't put it down" experience and has stimulated me to return to Lewis fairly soon to better appreciate that island. I would recommend it as an interesting insight into this initially conservative and bleak place, though apparently the grip of the Sabbath on Lewis has diminished since I last visited.

Introducing Windows 8.1 For IT Professionals
Introducing Windows 8.1 For IT Professionals

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, informative and free, 21 Dec 2013
I normally don't like reading technical books on my Kindle, as it is cumbersome to flip back and forth to previously read sections. However, this short text covers a lot of the questions I had about Windows 8 and especially 8.1. In addition it covers some technical and historical issues as well, which allowed me a greater insight into Microsoft's thinking in this rather radical and misunderstood OS. Buy it at this price its a gift!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6