Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Dublin)

One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6
One of our Thursdays is Missing: Thursday Next Book 6

1.0 out of 5 stars Tries too hard and gives the impression that Fforde is running out of ideas or just getting bored of the Thursday Next series, 30 July 2014
A real letdown. Tries too hard and gives the impression that Fforde is running out of ideas or just getting bored of the Thursday Next series.

The Guts
The Guts
by Roddy Doyle

2.0 out of 5 stars Disconnected and unsatisfying, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Guts (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of Doyle's Barrytown trilogy, having grown up close to where the books are based. Frankly this book is a distant cousin of the trilogy. Plotlines seem to be tacked in to provide unneeded drama, coincidences abound and the characters seem like they're being forced to do things they don't want to. In fact the book reads like a play squashed into book format. Not worth the money.

Gironimo!: Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy
Gironimo!: Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly..., 6 May 2014
Tim Moore is on his very best form this time around. As a long time fan of Mr Moore's books I can safely claim this as one of his most interesting. His willingness to endure the virtually unendurable to prove a point to himself (and pay the bills) is genuinely inspiring. I'm going to get on my (electric) bike and ride to the shops in tribute. Long may he prosper.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2014 11:38 AM BST

You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain
You Are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Through Unloved Britain

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, unfortunately!, 29 May 2012
I love Tim Moore's books. They're quirky, interesting and personal. Sadly his latest attempt is just depressing and incredibly repetitive. Moore's writing usually gets me laughing immediately, but this book raised just one half-hearted chuckle.

I have just reread it 2 years later, and it's better than I first thought. Full of interesting insights, but again it's just not up to Moore's usual high standards.

Turn Coat: A Dresden Files novel (Dresden Files 11)
Turn Coat: A Dresden Files novel (Dresden Files 11)
by Jim Butcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Dresden has a one mission. To be more and more boring., 5 Mar. 2010
Ok, I'll admit it. I loved Storm Front and all the others. But this one seems to have no effort in it. Like Terry Pratchett, once the main storylines run out of interesting events, Jim Butcher has turned to the tedious world of politics and bureaucracy to keep the faltering story going. Dresden was created as a PI/wizard, but has dropped the interesting PI part, leaving us with a standard wizard fantasy set in Chicago. The story never changes though. First there's an apartment sequence, then a battle, somebody gets killed, Harry vows retribution, starts looking for obvious clues, gets more people killed, learns a few lessons, another big battle, the end. Butcher would have been better to end the series after the last book. Not recommended, even for fans, because it's a waste of money.

I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History
I Believe In Yesterday: My Adventures in Living History

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 19 Jan. 2009
After the horrible Nul Points I wasn't sure what to think. Would this master of the insightful travelogue come out with another 300 pages of dross? Not a bit of it. Tim is truly back on form with this masterpiece, bringing us on another journey - through time. We get a sense of the privations the human race went through to get us here - and we're still evolving rapidly. His writing is intensely descriptive, giving the reader a real sense of being beside him as he braves his own incompetence to give us a view into what is literally another world. I'm on my third reread and still find it entertaining - a trademark of Moore's books. Buy it.

My Godawful Life: Abandoned. Betrayed. Stuck to the Window.
My Godawful Life: Abandoned. Betrayed. Stuck to the Window.
by Sunny McCreary

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the funniest book I've ever read, 31 Aug. 2008
It's dangerous to read this book in public. The people around you will see you reading what looks like another abusive childhood story. However, the loud snorts of disbelief, peals of laughter and table banging will confuse and appall them immediately. From prostitution to Tourettes via necrophilia, anorexia and autism, this is easily the funniest book of the decade. Amazingly it gets funnier as it goes on, and the last few chapters are amongst the funniest in history.

So far I have read this tome four times in a week and still find something I've missed. It's safe to say that I'll be reccommending this book to everyone with a sense of humour.

Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story
Think Like a Bird: An Army Pilot's Story
by Alex Kimbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough originality, 26 Nov. 2007
I bought this book based on the other reviewers testaments that this book is as good as Fate is the Hunter - and it is, but in a strange way. The author has copied phrases directly from Gann's masterpiece without even bothering to modify them. Several times I laughed out loud at the reuse of several key phrases Gann used. I've heard of borrowing ideas from books - which can be used to great effect (Jasper Fforde, Tom Holt etc), but not specific sentences. This author is a natural writer on his own merit and clearly wanted to pen his tale in Gann's style, but the blatant word for word copy & paste is just appalling. Examples include:

'There was evidence of corpulence about his waistline, emphasized by the manner in which he wore his belt, which was so low his trousers seemed to remain in place without reason.'

'Then, even though distracted by all else that was happening, I would know their incalculable worth.'

I'm a student pilot and have read Gann avidly. I'm not sure if the author thought that either no-one reads Gann any more or that no-one would notice. Overall a good read but heavily let down by the above.

There are at least two more phrases used.

Propellerhead
Propellerhead
by Antony Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Worryingly accurate!, 17 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Propellerhead (Paperback)
I'm a low hour student pilot struggling to fly. While not quite 'Fate is the Hunter' material, I've learned more from this book then many others. It's a very funny and brutally honest summary of why we fly. I have never seen so many mistakes being admitted, mistakes every pilot makes through neglect or apathy on occasion. The relationship story woven through the book only highlights the haphazard approach we all sometimes have to flying. Although the author probably didn't intend it, the book made me rethink my own attitude to general aviation and re-question my competency in and around aircraft. Read it.

Nul Points
Nul Points

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 18 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Nul Points (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Tim Moore's books for a long time, and have all of them. This one was a departure from the norm, more of a mosaic of the Nul Pointers then of his experience, which made his previous books such a joy to read. He tends to waffle on a little too much, which is unusual, taking a while to get to the point. This makes Nul Points harder to read, with more breaks in the story. Most of the interviewee's responses are naturally predictable, 'I don't regret anything, look how well I'm doing now, and even if I'm not, I still don't care.' The glib triteness of the ESC shows through in the book, making it a difficult subject to warm to, although it is the event everyone loves to hate. Overall it's not the best of Tim Moore's stable, ranking below Do Not Pass Go. That said, it's normal for fans to rate new books worse then the old ones, purely out of unfamiliarity.