Profile for L.H. > Reviews

Content by L.H.

L.H. "Cook book fiend" (Oxford, UK)

400ml Surface Primer White
400ml Surface Primer White
Price: 5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy from Transtools!, 25 Oct 2013
Failed to send me 2 of the 4 of these I paid for in good faith but refused to cover their error as apparently (and I quote the delightful Lee here) "it was [my] error for not checking the delivery within 24hrs." So the bigger error wasn't Transtools failing to despatch the items I PAID for, the bigger error is mine for not expecting to be ripped off? Lee says yes.

Google Transtool Reviews and you discover my experience was in no way unique - trustpilot, freeindex, ebay, lots of their customers have been on the receiving end of a poor pick & pack process combined with a dreadful blame the customer and assume they're lying approach to customer service.

Rustoleum, think seriously about who you're supplying, these cowboys are doing your brand no favours!! Genuinely the worst service on the internet. AVOID.

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and I'm not even a vegan!, 15 Jun 2013
When I am just a shadow of my former self and everyone's whispering "if anything, she's got TOO skinny", this book will be the reason why. I'm not even vegan, I just figured that maybe eating less animal might be a semi-decent way to lose some weight without trying too hard, and lo and behold - I was right! The recipes here are scrumptious, and that's not even an exaggeration. I'm yet to make a duff one, and I must have cooked half the book by now. Hottie Beans & Greens and Mango BBQ Beans are both amazing and now weeknight staples in my house, with big steamy spoonfuls dumped over baked sweet potato. Black-bean, Zucchini & Olive Tacos are as good as everyone else who's reviewed the book tells you they will be (and that's far better than I was expecting - delicious, basically). I also really loved the Carribean Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Plantain (def worth making the extra effort to find the plantain - it makes it), as well as the Canellini & Mushroom Paprikas, Miso Udon Stir-fry, Upside Down Lentil Shepherds Pie, Eggplant Provencal, Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew, Aubergine Chilli Bean Mole - there's so many great dinners in here and they're all quick, cheap and really good for you. Many of the recipes even possess that most magical property of tasting even better reheated next day than they did fresh, and that's about the highest praise I can give out. Yes, more pictures would be nice, yes, there are many Americanisms, but to get hung up on these tiny details would be to miss out on one of the best cookbooks I own.

Modern Day Macrobiotics: Transform Your Diet and Feed Your Mind Body and Spirit
Modern Day Macrobiotics: Transform Your Diet and Feed Your Mind Body and Spirit
by Simon Brown
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A guide more than a recipe book, 18 July 2011
Although all the info looks good, this is definitely more of a guide to macrobiotics than a recipe book. Out of 160 pages, only pp 122-156 are actually recipes with about 4 recipes per double page spread. These do look good, but personally I like more pictures in my recipe book - there's only about 1 picture per four recipes. Not what I was personally looking for, but this is - of course - just my opinion.

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD]
Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jillian Michaels
Price: 7.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout DVD for anyone who already has a decent level of fitness, 3 Jan 2011
This is a brilliant DVD for anyone who is already pretty fit. I don't think you need to be uber-fit (I'm not), but if you struggle with burpees and holding plank then there are probably other DVDs out there more suited to your level.

This is a pretty tough workout that requires no equipment at all. There's lots of dynamic squatting (killer!), many different kinds of jumping, and kick-boxing inspired moves. Sample moves include squats into sidekicks, squats into jumps where you cross your legs at the apex of the jump (if you can...so far I can't), 180 degree jumps, plank where you pull your knee into your armpit to work your obliques, walking plank where you go from forearms to hands and down and up and down and up, various kick and punch combinations, and some really awesome standing ab crunches that I hadn't seen before. Be warned - there are no rest breaks, just points where the moves are slightly easier to allow you to recover while still moving.

The DVD is 50 mins long and is divided into 6 min "circuit" sections. It starts with a warm-up predictably enough, but then moves through various types of cardio and kick-box-inspired moves. Each circuit is repeated twice, which is really good when you're learning the moves - first time to try it, second time to perfect it - with lots of really great instruction and motivation from Jillian throughout. The abs floor section is really good, but also super-hard. If you can't do plank for a reasonable length of time you really will struggle with this!

I really rate this DVD for anyone reasonably fit and looking for a challenge. I was struggling to keep up at quite a few points! I have only two criticisms (the reason for my 4* rather than 5* review) and they would be that the cool down stretch seems a little short given how hard you just worked in the previous 45mins. My second is really trivial - the bonus segment, "Jillian's Tips for a Healthier Lifestyle" is really just an advert for Oral B electric toothbrushes, which annoyed me. I thought she was going to tell me what I should be eating!! We all know about swapping sweets for fruit already.

Overall, a really good work out. Highly recommended.

Bake (Australian Women's Weekly)
Bake (Australian Women's Weekly)
by Australian Women's Weekly
Price: 28.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally The Only Baking Book You Will Ever Need..., 15 Sep 2010
This book is a testament to the fact you should never judge a book by its cover. The packaging is not exactly glamorous, but look inside and give it a chance and you'll find it's a baking book well worth investing in. This is my Go To book for all baked goods. I have a LOT of baking books - Mary Berry, Nigella etc - but this one is my absolute out and out favourite.

The recipes are divine and there is plenty to excite even experienced bakers. My own personal revelation was the mud cakes that feature in the Chocolate section of the book; I'd never even heard of mud cake (a moist, gooey, almost brownie-esque cake with a texture a bit like cheesecake) before I came across this book, and now I can make about 6 different variants on the theme, all of which have been extremely well received by family and colleagues.

Aside from the clear instructions, lovely pictures and straight-forward sectioning of the book (chocolate; butter cakes; fruit cakes; slices; biscuits; muffins etc.), each chapter also contains a double-page spread of handy baking tips designed to improve your overall baking performance. If you have a glut of fruit or veg you need to use up, there is almost guaranteed to be a recipe to assist you in here somewhere if you take a look in the index, as this book is so enormous at nearly 700 pages, often with two recipes per page.

I absolutely love this book and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache: The ultimate feel-good book of natural cakes that taste naughty
by Harry Eastwood
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom nom nom..., 12 April 2010
I love baking, and thus I am currently on a diet in an attempt to lose some of the extra bulk that my love of all things sweet and fatty has caused me. This book is the answer to my prayers - delicious chocolate torte, fabulous peach muffins, amazing white choc & raspberry blondies, and each for less than 300 calories per piece (and the pieces are not diet-sized, either)! It's a dieters' dream come true.

Seriously, I cannot rave about this book enough, not only because of the wonderful baked goods that come out of it, but also because the recipes are usually very quick and straight-forward (I'd go so far as to say "idiot-proof"), with extremely well-explained step-by-step instructions. You'll find no "beat well" here (because really, what does that mean?!), instead a wonderfully no-nonsense "beat for 5 minutes" - excellent stuff!

The book also contains lots of lovely pictures of the finished products. Not one for every recipe unfortunately (my only complaint here - how come the super-cheap BBC Good Food cook books can manage this and expensive celeb chef ones can't?!), but still quite a few, and very lovely they are too. It is a very good-looking book, that would be very happy left on your coffee table.

All in all, this is probably my favourite baking book I own (and I do have a few), with loads of really do-able, quick and easy recipes that don't require you to be Masterchef to make something delicious. Yum! Thanks Harry - more like this, please!