Profile for drubhsavoch > Reviews

The Work Of Director Michel Gondry [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Beck
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars dreamy, spooky, funny, 11 May 2006
Gondry has this wizardly combination of cool ideas and a real feeling for the music he's illuminating. Highlights for me are Beck's Deadweight - which is full of haunting and humerous images of dislocation - and Chemical Bros' Star Guitar - which perfectly maps the tune onto a hypnotic view of industrial suburbs from the window of a train.

When I play it on my PC, the DVD freezes after I select an option from the menu where he's playing drums (though you can get round this) - hence four stars instead of five.

Rock Me Amadeus: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Handel ...
Rock Me Amadeus: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Handel ...
by Seb Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars ha ha hayden, 11 May 2006
funniest book I've read so far this year. prepare to snort, guffaw and even to learn something. for anyone who loves music

The Hundred Years War: England and France at War C.1300-c.1450 (Cambridge Medieval Textbooks)
by Christopher Allmand

3.0 out of 5 stars old style, 30 Jun. 2004
I got interested in the 100 years war and a brainy friend told me this was the best general intro. I suppose all the facts and analysis are very credible, but this often felt like it was addressing academics rather than the general reader, and at times felt like it was point-scoring. So I'm still in the market for a new-style not-dry book on the subject

Hell Bent for Leather: Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict
Hell Bent for Leather: Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict
by Seb Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars we salute you, 30 Jun. 2004
This FUNNY FUNNY honest book is a SCREAM, a HOOT ... love the illustrations of terrible saxophone shaped electic guitars, grisly tales of SEEDY almost-famous goings-on in the big smoke, very funny on being a teenager and a complete PAIN IN THE ARSE, very honest about being CONFUSED AND HORMONAL. My lady wife (certainly no heavy metal fan) devoured this and so did friends I lent my copy to (sorry Seb). If you are big into any kind of music then this will DING YOUR GONG, and if you like NICK HORNBY writing about being a MALE CATASTROPHE, likewise.