Profile for Mrs. Julia P. Lynn > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Julia P. Lynn

Mrs. Julia P. Lynn "julialynn"

Page: 1 | 2
Brit Guide to New York 2013: The Only Guidebook Re-written Every Year (Brit Guides)
by Amanda Statham

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the Brit's Guide to Orlando, 21 Jan. 2013
I bought this as I am a fan of the Orlando version (and would not go to Orlando without it!). However, I am not a fan of this book. It is very blandly written (almost as if the writer has not been there). The "Brit tips" range from the sublime to the ridiculous (eg "always take a small bottle of water with you wherever you go") (WHY???) and although apparently re-written every year, already contains out of date advice for 2013 (eg in relation to visiting the Statue of Liberty, or the 911 Memorial).

It is laid out in a very cumbersome way, so you really need to read it all - it is not easy to dip in and out of. Also, there are very few photos and pictures, and a lot of those are on pages with no relevant text - it seems that they have been randomly placed throughout the book where there is a gap.

I have sent this item back because it is so disappointing.

New York City Journal
New York City Journal
by teNeues

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a travel journal, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: New York City Journal (Hardcover)
This is basically a notebook, with a tiny map of manhattan in the front and a bus map in the back. I think the way this is described is inaccurate, because it gives the idea that it is a travel guide of some sort. It isn't. Try the Moleskine instead.

Ty Waddles Buddy Beanie Boos 36904 Soft Toy Penguin
Ty Waddles Buddy Beanie Boos 36904 Soft Toy Penguin

5.0 out of 5 stars Benguin !, 24 Dec. 2011
The lovely Benguin (I know, I know, he's meant to be called Waddles) is soooooooooooo cute. He has eyes to die for, and is so soft. We now have a family of Benguins, one big one, three small ones, and one tiny one!

Master Class Deluxe Stainless Steel Food Tongs 23cm
Master Class Deluxe Stainless Steel Food Tongs 23cm

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for a couple of weeks, then rusted, 24 Dec. 2011
I was so pleased with these tongs to start with after searching for so long for a decent pair of tongs at a reasonable price. Just the right size, great mechanism. BUT after just a couple of weeks the spring mechanism inside has rusted. I can't believe they have saved a few pence by not using stainless steel for the spring. A real shame.

Bridesmaids (Extended Edition) [DVD] [2011]
Bridesmaids (Extended Edition) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Kristen Wiig
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter tripe, 19 Nov. 2011
I very rarely write a review but I feel compelled to with this film, I wasted an evening of my life seeing this rubbish. If you are amusing by brides poo-ing in the street, vomiting scenes and low level "comedy", along with no story whatsoever, no memorable characters, no good music, then this is the film for you. It really is the worst, and honestly the most vulgar, film I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

Kit Heath Womens Sterling Silver Twine Hoop Stud Earrings 40FXHP
Kit Heath Womens Sterling Silver Twine Hoop Stud Earrings 40FXHP

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these earrings, 10 Feb. 2008
Can't speak highly enough of these earrings. I have found it very difficult to find simple, shiny, silver earrings which are light and easy to wear. Easy to put on and comfortable. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

High School Musical Mini Locker
High School Musical Mini Locker

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money!, 22 Nov. 2007
This is hot property for HSM fans this Christmas, but if I were you I would save your money and buy something else instead. This item is TINY. I suppose, to be fair, the clue is in the use of the word "mini". Its only use really would be for small items of jewellery. Please bear this in mind when buying !

Gelli Baff Blue Lagoon
Gelli Baff Blue Lagoon
Offered by The Learning Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't buy this rubbish!, 21 July 2007
This review is from: Gelli Baff Blue Lagoon (Toy)
Gelli Baff. Nagged for. I gave in. £5 down the drain. Literally. Sprinkled the powder in. It globulated into what looked like hand-size bright blue brains. No amount of swishing or swirling would turn it into goo. I added the dissolver. Nothing happened. So I had to fish out the blue brains (truly disgusting) and wash the rest down the plughole. Rubbish with a capital R !

Junie B. Jones First Boxed Set Ever!
Junie B. Jones First Boxed Set Ever!
by Barbara Park

1.0 out of 5 stars DIRE!, 21 July 2007
These books are quite possibly the worst I have ever read. I read to my daughter, age 8, nearly every night. These books are aimed at slightly younger children I think. However, I just can't see the attraction. The stories are slow, the humour hard to find, and the phraseology used is very very confusing. It appears to be trying to emulate 'Clarice Bean' language, but the latter is for older children and is used in context. Junie B is full of made-up words, incorrect sentence construction, and overuse of words such as "stupid" and "pooey". At the precious KS1 age when children are like sponges, I do not think it appropriate to use what I would classify as bad language. If you are reading them aloud to a child who can't read, you could adapt the sentences quite easily, but this is not possible for my older child who follows the words and who corrects me if I read something out which is different from what's on the page! There are so many other options out there which are interesting for parent and child - eg Horrid Henry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2010 9:08 PM BST

Darkest Before Dawn: A Liverpool Family Saga
Darkest Before Dawn: A Liverpool Family Saga
by Katie Flynn
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Katie Flynn, 20 Jan. 2007
This book is in my view, excellent. It is easy to read, the story is easy to follow, and it is difficult to put down. It is set initially in the 1930s and, like all Katie Flynns, is depressing in parts. However it is not as depressing as most of her other books, so if you have been put off previous novels because of the hardship of the characters, I would give this one a go. Katie has the rare gift of being able to describe something adequately so that you can see a picture of it in your head, but not over-describing for the sake of it. The characters are believable, and the reader actually cares what happens to them. A good read.

Page: 1 | 2