Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "English Knight" (Wales, UK)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatible? Well, it recognised the Card - but it certainly isn't 'reliable' in my experience!, 2 Feb. 2014
I just wasted 4 hours syncing music onto this card in a newly purchased Nokia Lumia 820 Windows Phone.

All seemed to be going well - until I restarted the phone, which then would not boot; the glowing 'Nokia' text shimmering in distortion, soon to be followed by intermittent red and blue lines across the screen - an then a complete 'freeze' and lock-up. Only removal of the battery allows for another attempt... which repeatedly turned out in exactly the same way.

However, on removal of this memory card, things immediately returned to normal: a brief few seconds presentation of the white 'Nokia' text, without any other distortion, and then the 'Windows Phone' greeting screen appears, quickly followed by the Metro Interface itself.

Putting the card back in (a 50:50 gamble; but I wanted to be sure) resulted again in a correct and trouble-free start up; but ALL the music on the card had vanished (fortunately there was nothing else on the card as yet - having only had the Phone operational for less than 48 hours).

Clearly, there is either some fault or issue with the particular card I have here - or (as other reviewers here seem also to have experienced), a more fundamental issue of 'compatibility' with this particular card and the Nokia Lumia 820 Windows Phone itself.

I am now off to consult with Nokia on this issue; but until I have a fully functional and 'reliable' experience using this particular 32GB SanDisk Micro SDHC Memory Card; I can neither recommend it to anyone else - nor can I confirm that (in my experience at least) that it is in any way 'compatible' with the Nokia Lumia 820 Windows Phone, as its advertising headline here on Amazon claims it to be.

If/when I have further information or a satisfactory explanation (or resolution) to this situation; I will revise this review accordingly.

UniBond No More Nails Invisible Tube 200ml
UniBond No More Nails Invisible Tube 200ml

2.0 out of 5 stars `No More Nails?' Technically `Yes' I guess... as I had to go and buy Screws instead!, 23 July 2011
`No More Nails?' `No More Cash?' more like...

UniBond No More Nails Invisible Grab Adhesive Tube

Does this stuff really work (like it `says on the tin')? Based on my personal experience, `No' - that is, this product didn't work for my particular Project Application (bonding Plastic to Ceramic Bathroom Tile on one edge, and to Ceiling Plaster on another edge).

Didn't it do `anything'? Well... `perhaps'... it might be argued that it did hold the Plastic Fixing in place with a degree of stability that made locating & then screwing into place a good deal `easier' than had this been attempted without using this stuff first (but after waiting over an hour after the initial application & placement I had expected sooooooo much more from this product... indeed, I'd expected to have had to do `nothing more' than to mount the item in-place between these Plastic Fixings & declare: `Job Done!' - let alone having then to start messing around with the tasks of procuring and then using Screws!)

That's not to say this stuff `doesn't' actually work `ever' - and indeed, just like it `says on the tin' too, otherwise Trading Standards & the Advertising Authorities would have been all over this company like a rash by now (I would have hoped...); so I'm not delivering that `avoid this product at all costs' message to you here.

In conclusion, my best advice is to try and get the experience of someone who has actually used this product to bond the same materials / products and surfaces as you yourself wish to do, and / or (if you have the time, patience & finance) also contact the product's manufacturer and get their advice BEFORE you buy it & try it yourself.

Even then, I'm sure there will be `No Guarantees' from anyone, and you'll only really know if this product is going to work `for you' once you've actually used it - and it does (or doesn't, as the case may be). But at least then, if the balance of probability and risk looks to be in your favour, and you are feeling `lucky'; then go for it and splash your cash on this product.

Otherwise, stick to Nails (and / or Screws) - they are considerably cheaper than this stuff - and they do (generally) `do' what they say `on the tin'!

Joomla! 24-Hour Trainer
Joomla! 24-Hour Trainer
by Jen Kramer

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! This book does not go beyond Joomla V1.5.22, 15 May 2011
Sadly, this book (and its associated DVD of 'Video Tutorials') are 'Superceeded' / 'Outdated' even on its initial Day of Publication.

I had initial high hopes for this publication as I've used WROX Books before to great effect.

This book too is 'good' (so I will refrain from labeling it as being 'Obsolite' as it is far from that...) BUT my biggest issue with it is that it only considered Joomla Release 1.5(.2x) in both the book and the DVD Video Tutorials!!

As Joomla 1.6(.3 - I think?) is now out (and 'stable') - AND as this book was only released on 1st week May 2011, I had not unreasonably expected that it would feature Joomla 1.6!!!

The rational for its continuing obsession with J1.5.2x is the existing 'installed user-base', and that J1.6 (and J1.7, coming July / August time 2011 - apparently...) are only 'fleeting' versions, and things won't settle down again until January 2012 when J1.8 is scheduled to be released (this is going to be the next 'long-term' supported release, so this book claims...).

Yes - there is a summary in the 'Appendix C' of the book to consider the 'main' differences between J1.5.xx & J1.6.xx; but they don't go out of their way to point out that this book is only really concerned with J1.5.2x (on either the Front or the Back Cover of the book) - in other words: its not until you've actually purchased the thing & its here to be read do you then realise this!!!! Thanks a lot!

In my case, my enthousiasm also got the better of me, so I opened the accompanying DVD from its wallet in the back of the book BEFORE realising that this was not covering J1.6 AT ALL (so I guess now Amazon won't be letting me return this book for a full refund either!?)

Overall, this SHOULD be a very good book - I just don't understand 'why' they haven't based it on the latest 1.6.xx release of the Joomla CMS? (after all the 'Dummies' Series had a good 2nd edition of their Joomla! book out a couple of months or more ago now, and it was based on J1.6.0! For any in need of a J1.6 book, I CAN recommend this 'Dummies' book too, by the way...).

Finally, and just for completeness; I guess I'll also point out that the accompanying DVD is NOT a 'movie' style DVD-Video, so you can't simply watch it on your TV via a standard DVD Player etc - it is ONLY for use on a PC, and contains / presents a set of 29 video tutorials (QuickTime files, I think?) via a Flash Player Hosted Presentation application it launches for you automatically.

These 'Video Tutorials' are 'OK' and do correspond to Chapters in the book; but - to be honest - are nothing more than you can get 'for free' via 'You Tube' - so I really wouldn't buy this book 'just' for this video content...

In Summary: I may yet still keep this book as it DOES have much useful stuff in it to get a Joomla newbee going; but if you install and intend to use Joomla! via - say - 'Microsoft WebMatrix' (as I do), then you will get the lastest release of Joomla installed for you by this intermediary system - and this will be (at least) J1.6.xx now - and NOT the old J1.5.2x covered by THIS book - SO DO BE AWARE OF THIS.

Just '3 Stars' then: its 'OK' but it could / should have been so much better; by simply being a lot more 'up-to-date'!

Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD
Humax Digital Satellite Set Top Box - Freesat - Foxsat HD

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been THE BEST - but (still) dissapointingly 'bug-ridden', 26 Jan. 2010
Having wandered into FreeSat almost by accident last year - when my original 'Sky' box put its legs in the air; I subsequently kept the little cheap 'Goodmans' Box (purchased in a hurry to fill the gap while the 'Sky+' box arrived) and had it installed elswehere in the house, fed off the same 'Sky' dish & LNB.
At the end of last year, I decided to go for another 'FreeSat' box for the bedroom - as Sky wanted an arm & a leg to provide & install their 'offer' (MultiRoom), and so I was tempted by the Amazon reviews & price to go for the HUMAX FOXSAT-HD unit. Yes, this was more expensive than - say - another of the 'Goodmans' units; but not by too much, AND the HUMAX was flying high as something of a 'Market Leader'.
So it was ordered & delivered and - finally - unpacked & setup. All went very smoothly & easily - and the picture quality (even on 'analogue' Standard Definition) was OUTSTANDING.
As I set up my preferences & navigated around the units' menus, I began to 'dislike' more than 'like' the experience. Yes, the units 'picture' rated 10/10 - but most of the rest of it was only 5/10 (or less).
The User Menu Structure is poor - awkward even - for channel selection etc. Even this I would have forgiven & put up with (given the picture quality) BUT for the 'Channels' problem.
I first found that the HUMAX (in 'Non-FreeSat' Channels Mode) simply REFUSED to find the 'Sky News' Channel. It didn't matter if I explicitly put in the frequency details myself (checked & rechecked!) OR told the unit to scan and add ALL channels of ALL types it could see under its 'Manual' Scan option - the outcome was the same: no 'Sky News' Channel.
I talked to HUMAX Customer Support - who were sluggish to respond & then simply told me to do them same 'Manual Scan' I have already done (many times already). They didn't seem to accept that there was in fact ANY problem with their unit.
Then the Final Straw: I noted the phenomina that some other customers / reviewers here have alreday noted - Channels that are (seemingly correctly) listed on the units Channel List & Guide BUT when selected for viewing, simply throw back a message of ''No Or Bad Signal' - and no channel presented.
This happend on several channels - ALL of which I could easily verify were in fact perfectly OK by selecting them on the Goodmans unit, still being fed from the same dish & LNB!!!
Game Over.
The HUMAX unit goes back to Amazon tomorrow morning - and I have to find another unit as a replacement.
Right now, a 'Goodmans' has to be favourite. It may not be as 'sexy' as the HUMAX - it WONT be able to match the HUMAX on picture quality (what could?) BUT it WILL WORK and give me ALL the FreeSat & Non-FreeSat Channels available to me via my dish & LNB.
Oh... and I'll even save a few quid on the replacement unit too!!!
As to HUMAX... this is the second product I've had off them over the past decade (the first being a 'early' design DVD Recorder) which just 'doesn't QUITE work correctly' - and so I WONT be purchasing their products again - sorry!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2011 12:32 PM BST

The Twins Effect [DVD]
The Twins Effect [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlene Choi
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Note: This does NOT have an ENGLISH Soundtrack Option!, 15 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Twins Effect [DVD] (DVD)
A better-than-the-average martial-arts with Vampyres Teenage-kicks (literally) flic - but you only get English Subtitles - there is NO ENGLISH (dub) Soundtrack Option, which for me - sadly - makes this virtually unwatchable....
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2012 7:40 AM GMT

Power Rangers: SPD (Complete Series) [DVD]
Power Rangers: SPD (Complete Series) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brandon Jay McLaren

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!!! At Long Last! Its time to 'Power UP!' with 'COMPLETE' Power Rangers Series!, 11 July 2008
I grew up with the 'Power Rangers'... and in all the time that has now past since the first 'Mighty Morphin' Series appeared, it has remained a complete mystery to me as to `why' we have never been able to purchase the `complete' series of the various incarnations of the Power Rangers on DVD - until now, that is!

Yes... I know there ARE `Power Rangers' DVDs available, and have been now for sometime (indeed, I have most of these in my own DVD Collection!); but the most frustrating aspect of these has been that they are only a `selected' number of episodes from each story; but NEVER the complete story!

BUT now, at long, long last, someone somewhere has seen `the light' - now we can once again reach for our `Morphers', as the `complete' series of the more-recent `Power Rangers' stories are becoming available on DVD for the first time (in the UK, at least)!

I have just receive the first of these to be released from Amazon.co.uk: `Power Ranges S.P.D', which comes presented as 38 Episodes over 7 DVDs in a nice double-depth case, with good artwork on the front cover, Episode and Bonus Features listings on the back cover (but with no internal booklet).

At this time of writing, mid-July 2008, Amazon.co.uk also has listings allowing pre-order for a number of the other `complete series', including `Power Rangers Ninja Storm `, `Power Rangers Dino Thunder', `Power Rangers Mystic Force', and `Power Rangers Operation Overdrive', all of which are presently scheduled to be released over the next few consecutive weeks!

I can now only hope that whoever is behind these excellent `complete series' DVD releases (for the PAL, Region 2 Market) CONTINUES `onward and backward' (so to speak) with this superb work, and that very soon now we will ALSO be able to order all the other `earlier' series too?!

I am (personally) particularly eager to see `Power Rangers Wild Force', `Power Rangers Time Force', and `Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue' available to purchase as `complete series', as these were the last series that I actually got to watch all the way through to their ending episodes (since then, its my children who have been watching the `Power Rangers' more diligently than I, as I seem no longer have the time I once did!)

Naturally, I would also greatly welcome seeing all the rest made available as `complete series' collections too - `Power Rangers Lost Galaxy', `Power Rangers In Space', `Power Rangers Turbo', and `Power Rangers Zeo' - and, of cause, all three of the original `Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' too!!!!

So, whoever you are, I `thank you' for your achievement to date - and PLEAD with you to `PLEASE DO CARRY ON' and release all the other (earlier) `Power Ranger' stories as `complete series' too!.

With `Power Rangers Jungle Fury', the very latest incarnation of the Power Rangers, beginning to be shown on the Satellite Channel `Jetix' from this weekend, the `Rangers' are BACK, and I plan to enjoy this latest saga whilst also now being able to `go back in time' over the coming weeks as the other `complete series' DVD sets arrive.

`Power UP!' Power Rangers: SPD (Complete Series) [2005]
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2009 1:14 AM BST

Windows Vista, Ultimate Edition with Service Pack 1, Upgrade Version (32-bit CD and 64-bit DVD) (PC)
Offered by Pri.Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Upgrade'? - What 'Upgrade'! ('Clean Install May Be Required' - OH, YOU THINK?!), 20 May 2008
If, like me, you followed all Microsoft's recommendations before selecting your required 'version' of Windows Vista, in my case initially the 'Home Premium Edition' - such as downloading and running their 'Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor' application; then - like me - you may subsequently be 'very upset' (to put it mildly) when the Vista Installation Program point-blank refuses to actually 'upgrade' your required system (in my case, Windows XP Pro SP3), and will only offer you a 'Clean Install' option, loosing all programmes, settings, and data etc. This is NOT an option, but... 'OK' I'll let that one go and put it down to 'experience'.

For those of you who may be interested: after much slogging around the Internet and reading of numerous bulletin-board posts, it became clear that - amongst other things - you can't actually `upgrade' from Windows XP Pro, you can only `Clean Install'!!!

It would appear that Microsoft are subtly pushing people towards the `Ultimate' Edition - with which, it was `promised' you could actually `upgrade' from Windows XP Pro to Vista.

So, I dug up the extra cash, ordered this 'Vista Ultimate' Edition - 'Upgrade' Version from Amazon - at considerable additional expense - and started once again, following Microsofts 'recommendations'.

After battling with it for two days, during which time the Windows Vista Ultimate Editions' Installation Application forced me to de-active and / or `remove' certain installed functions, facilities and services (such as `FrontPage Extensions') BEFORE it would even proceed to examine the `options' for installations; it TOO `ultimately' failed (no pun intended).

It spent 2 hours `gathering information' about my system, proceeded to `copy files' it needed from the Internet (`updates') and from the DVD, and then promptly informed that it could not find all the files it needed to proceed, and `quit' the installation there and then!!!

I verified my PC Equipment was all functioning OK - the DVD drive was operating correctly and COULD read the DVD without any issues, and it had `exclusive' use of the Broadband Internet connection through the whole installation period - and yet it too could not actually perform this `upgrade'!

Don't get me wrong `dear reader'; I am NOT a `Microsoft Basher' in any way - quite the reverse in fact; which is why I was really looking forward to moving up to Vista now (with the release of SP1 etc); but this experience has left me a little `downbeat' by the whole thing!

Bottom line: I'd assume that there isn't such a thing as an `upgrade' to Vista. If you have a `blank' system and / or you are prepared to do a `Clean Install' (in which case BE WARNED - you MUST purchase the considerably more expensive `FULL' version of your required Vista `edition' NOT the `Upgrade', which will only run FROM an existing Operating System, such as Windows 2000 or XP) - then, and perhaps ONLY THEN will you achieve your desired objective!

Of cause, that WILL take you many hours of time and effort re-installing all your Software Applications, re-configuring Internet and Email accounts, desktop settings, Favourites etc.

OR you could just do what Microsoft clearly wants you to do: buy a `new' PC with `Vista' pre-installed!!!

As for me, I'm returning both of these `Upgrade' Editions back to Amazon. and will have to start the `process' all over again, with either a `new PC' or the `Full' Version of `Vista Ultimate' and a new Hard Disk Drive.

Either way, this is far, far more costly in both time and money than the original `upgrade' promised by these products - so BEWHERE, dear reader, or you too may end up as 'disappointed' by this as I am!
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2009 7:34 AM BST

Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1, Upgrade Version (PC)
Windows Vista, Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1, Upgrade Version (PC)
Offered by Pri.Trading

If, like me, you followed all Microsoft's recommendations before selecting your required 'version' of Windows Vista, in my case this 'Home Premium Edition' - such as downloading and running their 'Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor' application; then - like me - you may subsequently be 'very upset' (to put it mildly) when the Vista Installation Program point-blank refuses to actually 'upgrade' your required system (in my case, Windows XP Pro SP3), and will only offer you a 'Clean Install' option, loosing all programmes, settings, and data etc. This is NOT an option!

So, after much slogging around the Internet and reading of numerous bulletin-board posts, it became clear that - amongst other things - you can't actually `upgrade' from Windows XP Pro, you can only `Clean Install'!!!

I actually tried this `recommendation' also - at considerable additional expense - and after battling with it for two days, during which time the Windows Vista Ultimate Editions' Installation Application forced me to de-active and / or `remove' certain installed functions, facilities and services (such as `FrontPage Extensions') BEFORE it would even proceed to examine the `options' for installations; it TOO `ultimately' failed (no pun intended) - it spent 2 hours `gathering information' about my system, proceeded to `copy files' it needed from the Internet (`updates') and from the DVD, and then promptly informed that it could not find all the files it needed to proceed, and `quit' the installation there and then!!!

Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2009 1:21 PM GMT

James Bond Movie Posters: The Official Postcard Book
James Bond Movie Posters: The Official Postcard Book
by Tony Nourmand

3.0 out of 5 stars This Publication Is So Unnecessarily Flawed!, 1 Sept. 2007
The `James Bond Movie Poster Postcard Book' is - in concept - a very nice idea: present a collection of the world-famous and instantly recognizable Film Posters from the James Bond Films, from `Dr. No' (the very first to be filmed in 1962, with Sean Connery as Bond) up to `Die Another Day' (Pierce Brosnan's final outing as Bond, in 2002); as a flip-book of 5 x 7 detachable `post-cards' (actually, they are nearer 5 x 6 ½ when detached - but, `so what?').

The quality of this flip-book is generally 'good' - the individual poster pages are printed on a heavier gauge `card' than standard book-gauge paper (as indeed is the outer font & rear cover), giving these a genuine `post-card' size, weight & feel to them (indeed, their reverse side is also marked out for use as a formal `post-card', complete with Stamp Square Mark etc).

But what totally ruins this collection is the omission of a poster for the 5th Sean Connery Bond Film: `You Only Live Twice' - Why? Why, thrice `Why?!' This destroys (what could easily have been) a very comprehensive and worthwhile collators item for both the causal and the dedicated `Bond' Fan alike.

This unforgivable omission makes the whole publication (almost) pointless. It's like having a history of the Second World War and forgetting to represent the D-Day Landings on one of the beaches! - you just DON'T do it!

Further more, in its place is included a Japanese poster of the 1967 `Casino Royale' film (I stress again: that's the `original' 1967 `farce' film, starring David Niven and Woody Allen et al, and NOT the recent exemplary 2006 `Casino Royale' film, starring Daniel Craig) - the 1967 film not even being an `official' James Bond Film!

Additionally, in a number of cases, multiple `one-sheets' are included for a particular film (`Die Another Day' for example is represented by FIVE - that's `5', count them - posters!) - as used to promote the film in different countries and areas of the world. Whilst these are (generally) worth-while and have some interest value; this again seems totally pointless when the overall `collection' is missing representation of one of the series most memorable and important films in: `You Only Live Twice'.

`You Only Live Twice' was actually the last time Sean Connery played Bond, in his original 5 film `run' (although he did return to the role again for `Diamonds Are Forever' in 1969, and then - finally - for `Never Say Never Again' in 1983; the latter itself being regarded as an `unofficial' James Bond Film - not part of the `EON' Series), and it also features one of Bond's most memorable `gadgets' of all time: the autogyro, code named: `Little Nellie' (or `a Toy Helicopter!' according to Bond's ally in the film, `Tiger' Tanaka!) - which featured in the film's spectacular aerial fire-fight encounter between Bond and several `SPECTRE' Helicopter Gunships, high above Ernst Stavro Blofeld's secret Rocket Launching Facility within a concealed Japanese Island Volcano Crater.

So, if you are going to omit any film from such a series collection as this (and you shouldn't!) - then this film is certainly NOT the one to omit!

So, what remains here is `OK' - 3 'Stars: ***', and is worth purchasing for your own `Bond Collection', Just do so in the up-front knowledge that there is this omission, and that this `collection' is (far) from being a `definitive' representation of the James Bond Film Posters from across the entire EON film series.

Also note: this collection is now `out-of-date' - since the 2006 release of the excellent franchise reinvigorator: `Casino Royale' (Daniel Craig); so if / when the publishers finally get round to revising this post-card flip-book it is to be hoped that they will INCLUDE at least 1 `one-sheet' for `You Only Live Twice', remove the awful `Casino Royale' 1967 `farce' film, and include sheet(s) representing the latest 2006 `Casino Royale' Daniel Craig Masterpiece.

But, until then, it has to be: `Goodbye, Mr. Bond!' to this particular post-card collection flip-book publication.

Rude & Crude Sound Effects
Rude & Crude Sound Effects

1.0 out of 5 stars Rude & Crude Sound Effects - Rude, Crude, and Poor Quality, 9 July 2007
As a long time collector of Sound Effects; I'm always on the look out for sounds to add to the collection.

This CD only cost me just over £3 GBP - and that's shipped over from the USA - so I can't complain at the cost.

Sadly, however, this particular collection isn't really worth £1 - let alone £3!

Yes - you get '97' sets of sounds, usually more than 1 single sound per set; or at least a sound 'repeated' 3 or 4 times.

But the quality of ALL tracks / sounds is VERY POOR indeed. All seem to be mono; all seem to have been washed through some form of 'mild-echo & distortion' electronic processing which is - presumably - designed to make the sounds appear far more modern and fresh than they actually are?

The actual result though is to make many of the sounds virtually `unusable' (by themselves); although you might be able to salvage something by mixing them with others.

I've nothing really to say on the 'content' - the information presented in the Amazon Item Description (Track Listing) is entirely accurate, and in that respect you get what you pay for!

Those of you requiring an 'Elephant Fart' will get just that (or an electronic approximation to it!); while some sounds are clearly lifted from film or TV soundtracks.

For example, Track 34 - 'Ekki' - is the revised sacred words uttered by the 'Knights Who Were until Recently Called Nic' from the 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' film soundtrack (do the Python's know about this?). Funny - well yes, in the film context - usable outside this context: NO - and (again) very poorly recorded and presented.

To be totally fair, this CD isn't an entire `Drinks Coaster' Write-Off; it's a close thing; but there are perhaps 6 sounds out of the 97 which I could actually see myself using at some point - so this then means that - in real terms - I've paid approx. 50p per sound for this privilege!

All-in-all then; unless there is a sound on this CD you MUST have for your production or collection - AND you have previewed the track FIRST so you know exactly what you get when you play your much sort-after Track 90 - 'Vomit 1'; I must advise you to pass on this CD, and hang on to your hard earned cash.

Go spend the £3 on a high-street mass-market Cheeseburger Meal - the satisfaction and effects will be no worse than purchasing and playing this CD for the same money. If you're lucky and the Cheeseburger has it's usually effects; record the resulting as `Vomit 1' - it will be far more realistic than the equivalent sound effect(s) presented here!