Profile for Mr. P. Ward > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Ward

Mr. P. Ward "bluesbreaker" (cumbria, uk)

The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life
The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not there !, 27 Feb. 2010
Have just received the CD and can confirm this is the European disc with the absence of Ravel's Bolero as per the instruction of Ravel's Estate. I had purchased the CD from an Australian Company on Amazons books and so hoped it would be the American version (being out side the European zone) but it appears the company seems to have dealt with a subsidiary company in Switzerland and therefore under the European restriction. This is a shame, as Frank's Bolero is a fine rendition. I would suggest that anyone wishing to purchace the full 28 tracks as advertised they apply for the album via the American market. I have heard the original album previously and happen to have a copy of the Bolero on tape, so I am going to have to be content with that for the time being. As for the rest of the album, it is classic Frank jibing the world and its silliness for all he's worth. By the way does this mean I am due recompense of 1/28 of the album price due to the lack of the track; under the Advertising Standards, possibly not (tongue in cheek). Only four stars due to the lack of this vital piece of musical history.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 4:43 PM GMT

Equatorial Stars, The
Equatorial Stars, The

3.0 out of 5 stars A change of heart, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Equatorial Stars, The (Audio CD)
I was about to assign this particular work to the category: Close but no cigar. I have quite a collection of Fripp and Eno work in CD and LP format, either as individuals or in their ambient collaborations, and therefore can compare the various merits (my own opinion of course) of their work. Previously I had not found any fault in any of their previous undertakings. Obviously some works appeal more so than others but overall I have always enjoyed their work. My initial response to The Equatorial Stars was that even Fripp and Eno must have at least one donkey in their catalogue and this was it. That was until I turned the volume way down, listening to it almost subliminally. What an amazing difference it makes. Maybe this was their intention but with no direction on the cover notes (as with Eno's Ambient series) it was by lucky chance that I happen to listen to it at a much lower volume than my initial hearing of the piece. It is still not one of their better works but certainly worth a second listening, just reduce the volume.

Sahara [DVD] [2002]
Sahara [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Humphrey Bogart

4.0 out of 5 stars Bogey's war, 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Sahara [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
First and foremost it is a Bogey movie and his sheer presence is enough, in my opinion, to carry any movie. As a Bogart fan, this particular film I have not seen since I was very young and usually as a Sunday afternoon feature. The transfer to DVD is fair, though the early night and sand storm scenes are a little dark and grainy. This aside the story is a simple one of good against evil with a good dose of propaganda thrown in, but we wont hold that against the director given the year. The film carries a strong message of duty, quiet courage and a belief in what is right. The interactions between the characters brings out a gambit of social and ethnic veiw points which given the time was probably a brave statement to make in a film that would have been used in the war effort. One touching scene shows a discussion between one of the American tank crew and the African soldier on the differences between muslim and christian marraige values, the outcome of which showed no difference at all for the characters. This look into the the lives and the values of the combatants involved, showed that not everybody's view in 1943 was as black and white as some war films. It is a simple story with strong characters and a fight against the desert as well as the Germans. Yes I know the Germans are the bad guy's with all the underhanded, vicious nature that most films of the time portrayed, but as I have said this was 1943 and somebody alway's has to be the fall guy in hero film's. Four stars due to the grainy nature of the early part of the film but a good Sunday afternoon film.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars A lot of money for nothing., 13 Sept. 2008
Save your self some grief and look elsewhere for a more reliable mobile
belt clip system. I have had mine just about a month and have had nothing but problems with the whole package. On arriving the leather case was too small for the phone,admitted only by millimetres but square peg in a round hole situation. After doing some internal trimming of the exposed plastic facia and much stretching of the cover I managed to fit the phone. The cover is so closely fitting to the buttons that you are constantly have flip in and out of fields you did'nt want. The clip is neither secure or easy to manipulate when in place. Mine has finally given up the ghost after firing the hinge pin across the room. I repeat save your self £7.99 and a lot of grief, find an alternative. The company told me via e-mail that they test every cover, oops they seem to have missed this one....I think not.

Hergest Ridge
Hergest Ridge
Offered by Logi-Link

3.0 out of 5 stars Close but no cigar, 29 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Hergest Ridge (Audio CD)
I have the original album and it remains my favorite Oldfield album along side Ommadawn. This mix has the essence of the original but none of the delicacy found on the vinyl version. Where is the guitar work after the intro, the brass and woodwind during the centre sections. Why was it felt nescessary to bring forward the voices at the end instead of leaving a haunting timbre to the finale.It feels harsher and at some points flat and devoid of emotion. I have deep associations linked to my past with this album and it brings back good memories of a youth well spent, its a shame that this remastering could not retain the original feel of the album. The CD is just another version and I view it as such in my collection but when so many remastered albums have succeeded in their transition, why not this one.