Profile for The Badger > Reviews

This is What I Look Like
This is What I Look Like
by Theresa Talbot

5.0 out of 5 stars Seize the day!, 22 April 2015
Having gone to school with the author, and not seen her since, I was keen to discover the path that took her from there to BBC radio, where I hear her daily, delivering the traffic news. So, I went to the Aye Right festival in Glasgow, where I bought the book and heard the author chat about her career and how she came to write the book.

The book is full of great anecdotes from Theresa's family and working life.

Being a child of the 60's and 70's, there's much I connected with in the book; tales of childhood derring do with pals, that ended with a row from Mum, or a neighbour, struck a chord!

Theresa tells us about her comedy roots, nurtured via her Dad, with a love of Milligan, Cooper and Morecambe! Those influences come through loud and clear in her writing style, with Milligan-esque prose, which I enjoy very much. The story of the psychic is hilarious!!

For me, as a music fan, who loves learning about the origins of songs, the sections featuring her work in radio, as a freelance producer and the gigs she landed with Lulu, Andy Williams, et al were real highlights. Some great detail here! And what really comes across is that Theresa is someone who enjoyed the work she did here, and also someone who worked hard and seized opportunities when they presented themselves! This is a theme that comes across throughout the book, and inspiration for anyone looking to follow a similar career path!

The book can be read in one go (as I did), or it could be lifted and laid whenever you had a spare five minutes or so. It's very accessible.

Theresa has another book coming out in the autumn; if it's half as entertaining as this one, it'll fly off the shelf (no pressure!!)!

Learn Twitter in 10 Minutes
Learn Twitter in 10 Minutes
by Lynn C Schreiber

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought this a year ago!, 12 Oct. 2013
Magic little book, with great tips and all in 10 minutes!!! Does what it says on the cover...buy it before you use Twitter!

Fractured Times: Culture and Society in the Twentieth Century
Fractured Times: Culture and Society in the Twentieth Century
by Eric Hobsbawm

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Making Exercise, 29 Mar. 2013
This is a cynical attempt by the publisher to make money from some disparate essays by Hobswam, all of which are at least 20 years old. Out of date, pre financial crash and not worth the money.

Desert Island Discs: 70 years of castaways
Desert Island Discs: 70 years of castaways
by Kirsty Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Jan. 2013
Great table top book, choc full of interesting tit bits and lists. If you like this, log onto the web site, and listen to the music!

Glitter Microphone
Glitter Microphone
Offered by GreatDeals4you

5.0 out of 5 stars Whitney....not!, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Glitter Microphone (Toy)
Bought this for our friend, who loves to sing along to music at parties...she loves it! Couldn't have bought a better gift!

Goldfinger: James Bond 007
Goldfinger: James Bond 007

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from the film!, 8 Dec. 2012
Having seen the film over a dozen times, I looked forward to reading the e book. Fleming is an engaging author, plenty of detail and excitement, balanced against a good plot. Bond isn't as self assured in the print version of this story as Connery played him on film. The film makers made a few changes to the story, which make the book even more interesting to read. I will definitely read more Fleming, having dipped my toe in the water with this one. Highly recommended!!

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation!, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
A great book from an author I'd never read before about an era I knew little about. It's a riveting read, containing a good story, set against the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War, with just enough detail about that to inform the uninformed reader. Highly recommended!!

Electrolux ZB2803 Unirapido Rechargeable Stick Vacuum Cleaner, Fresh Yellow
Electrolux ZB2803 Unirapido Rechargeable Stick Vacuum Cleaner, Fresh Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapido!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 6 Aug. 2012
The holiday house we stayed in this summer had one of these and, having used it, we just had to buy one when we came home. The hoover is light and very manoeuverable and great for hard floors but works well on carpets too. It's a bit like the old push pull carpet sweepers that used to be fashionable when I was a kid; only much better! The charge easily lasts long enough to clean the whole house, no probs, it even works well on stairs, and is a lot lighter and easier to use than a conventional electric hoover.

Over all, a great item, competitively priced and does exactly what it says on the box...easy to empty too!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 1:31 PM GMT

Simply Wonderwoman: A survival guide for women with too much to do
Simply Wonderwoman: A survival guide for women with too much to do
by Joanna Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now!, 20 Jan. 2012
Is this the best book ever? Probably not; but, it reminded me of all those cleaning tips my mum and gran used to use, but which have now gone out of fashion due to mass produced cleaning agents.

Along with soda crystals; lemon juice; and bicarb; I would recommend to Joanna, if she's reading this, to include the wonderful properties of wd40...it's fantastic! Clears those horrible scuff marks from paintwork, reduces condensation on mirrors in the loo, and starts the car too!

A treasure trove of cleaning tips...I recommend this book!

Compact portable rechargeable media speaker boomCAN - Black
Compact portable rechargeable media speaker boomCAN - Black
Offered by My Tech Friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic item!, 25 Dec. 2011
Bought one of these as an extra for my son's Xmas; what a fantastic thing! The sound is loud and clear and it's well worth the money. My son plugged the speaker in, put it to his ear, expecting a small tinny sound, and was gobsmacked. Well worth it...buy now!!

Page: 1 | 2