Profile for Mozfish > Reviews

The Beauty Jungle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Hendry
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Not dated at all, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Beauty Jungle [DVD] (DVD)
I am a fan of many British films of the 1950s and 60s and I always watch with an appreciative view and expectation that some pictures may seem dated watching them 50-60 years later. However, I thought The Beauty Jungle was contemporary in its themes, and probably as true to the subject today as it was then - especially if you replace beauty contests with modelling/acting/pop careers for a more modern comparison. Some scenes in the film show that the world hasn't altered much, in particular, regarding the disorganisation of rooming the competing girls together and how Miss Israel has been put to share with Miss Palestine.

A few other reviewers have commented on the screen resolution technicalities whilst viewing. I watched it through the PC on a 21" wide monitor instead of DVD player/TV and the first few minutes of the film filled about 30% of the screen, but it automatically adjusted to a more watchable 4:3 ratio.

I am so glad this film was FINALLY released for home viewing as it has been on my 'films to watch' list for 20 years. As someone who was born in the 1970s, I am watching these films for the first time (unless I have caught them on Channel 4 one rainy afternoon many years ago)and it has been a while since I discovered a gem. It is now one of my 60s film favourites. I can't think why it took so long for a DVD release and why it was never on VHS but hurrah!

Oh,a little piece of trivia - Janette Scott, the actress who plays the main character, is the daughter of Thora Hird.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you want over-sweet rubbery cakes, 27 Oct 2011
I received this book for Christmas two years ago and couldn't wait to wait all the scrumpious-looking goodies inside. The first and only recipe that was successful was the Raspberry Cheesecake Brownie, which was easier to make than expected but a bit on the sweet side. However, I love baking cakes and the cakes, and I tried about 5, all had a dense rubbery texture and I find the quantities quite baffling. I think they have been scaled down from catering proportions for domestic use but it hasn't worked.

I recently thought I 'd give the book another chance and baked the Spiced Pound Cake. The recipe stated that the total amount of spice in the cake should be 1 teaspoon (a quarter each of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger). My instinct told me that would not be enough amoung the large quantities of butter and sugar (650g!) but I thought I would stick to the rules.

It looked great as it came out of the oven, especially in the bundt tin I had used but it tasted like an over-sweet madeira. No spice hit at all. And that dense rubbery texture was there too. I can only think the owners of the Hummingbird Bakery do not want you to recreate their cakes at home.

I'm selling my copy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2012 5:24 PM GMT

Jennifer Jones Won't Leave Me Alone
Jennifer Jones Won't Leave Me Alone
by Frieda Wishinsky
Price: 5.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Aw, bless..., 10 Oct 2005
This story book is written in rhyme and tells the tale of a boy who has an admirer. Unfortunately, for the girl, the love is unrequited until she moves away and then the boy finds he misses her....
Awww[...]
Great story and fantastic illustrations make this highly recommended!

The Scheme for Full Employment
The Scheme for Full Employment
by Magnus Mills

4.0 out of 5 stars If dry cynicism is your bag then I'd recommend..., 10 Oct 2005
...parting with the pennies (or exercising your local library card) for this one.
It is an excellent examination of the human condition of never being satisfied with what you have and in trying to improve and abuse a rather idyllic situation, realising it can all come to an unforeseen end (or foreseen for the reader).
Having now read a few more of Mills' books, I seek comfort in identifying with his dry look at behaviour in society through his prose. His novels are written in the first person and the reader is never given the name or gender of the character whose point of view his novels are written from, which immediately transports you into that situation.
I definitely recommend this, and other novels by the same author, to those who enjoy people-watching and human idiosyncrasies.