Profile for L J > Reviews

L J (England)

Dublin To Detroit
Dublin To Detroit

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice album but why so short?, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Dublin To Detroit (Audio CD)
I have been a lifelong Boyzone fan and was very much looking forward to this album as it was something a bit different. The choice of songs is good, everyone a true classic that you immediately start singing along too. I'm not convinced Ronan has a voice which suits these Motown tracks and I wish Mikey had taken the lead on a few as I think it would have worked better. I also think this album is in danger of getting old very quickly because the songs are so recognisable.

My biggest issue though is the length of this album. I remember hearing them in an interview say they had over 30 songs for this album and had a tough time cutting it down. So why only 11 tracks on the final album!! And they are barely 3 minutes long - making it all over in 30 minutes. Plus once Christmas is over it will effectively be a 10 track album. So disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 11:13 AM GMT

Fall To Grace
Fall To Grace

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Paloma but this is just all rather boring., 31 May 2012
This review is from: Fall To Grace (MP3 Download)
After loving Paloma's first album for its distinct sound and imagination I was so looking forward to this one, and I have never been so disappointed. When I first heard her new single I thought it was very ordinary and not a great 'comeback' song for a new album but remembering how good her debut had been I was sure the album would be full of better tracks, but to my horror they're worse. They are slow, boring and very forgettable. I have listened to it several times now as I never write an album off on the first listen as often many are growers, but it just gets more depressing. It pains me to leave this review as I think Paloma is an amazing artist but this album doesn't do her justice in the slightest, she deserves so much better.

Brother
Brother
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, it's better., 8 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Brother (Audio CD)
When I first heard Boyzone were going to record a new studio album I was hugely excited as I loved them when I was a teenager. Then, with the tragic death of Stephen I felt the music would die with him. The thought of an album without his distinct voice just wouldn't be the same and I didn't think I would even be able to bring myself to listen to it.
My biggest fear for this album was that it would be like a 'Ronan' album. Don't get me wrong, Ronan has a great voice but he alone is not the sound of Boyzone. While this album has 'Gave it all away' featuring Stephen, the other songs are obviously largely dominated by Ronan, but they also feature Mikey on several, and even Shane. They have managed to somehow keep the Boyzone sound and for that reason, this album has completely won me over. The vast majority of the tracks are upbeat with a new sound. And while most regard 'Gave it all away' as the Stephen tribute, 'One more song' is the most obvious reference to the guys grief. It is hugely emotional and yet also has an upbeat sound and is the sort of song you feel Stephen would have loved.
As I got to the end of the album and convinced myself that the lack of Stephen's voice was not as disappointing as I had feared, I heard 'Stronger' and realised just how amazing he was and that Boyzone will indeed never be the same again.

Sunny Side Up
Sunny Side Up

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not These Streets, but it's just as good., 19 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Sunny Side Up (Audio CD)
This is a great album. It gets negative reviews because people are expecting These Streets part 2 and it's not, and I admire Paolo for trying something new and not playing it safe. Don't get me wrong, These Streets was an amazing album which I loved, full of beautiful songs.
This album however is a bit querky, with tracks ranging from jazz to folk. But there are still some of his trademark ballads. When listening to this album, listen with an open mind and rate it as an album in its own right and dont make the mistake of comparing it to the last. An artist shouldn't be criticised for trying something new, especially when they pull it off!

The E.N.D
The E.N.D
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Not traditional Peas, but still pretty good, 6 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The E.N.D (Audio CD)
Im a big fan of the Peas and loved both their last 2 albums. This one is a little different and I think will be a grower. It's more mature and I think goes back to their original style of Bridging the Gap and pre Fergie days which I wasn't hugely keen on. But its not quite as random and fun as Elephunk or Monkey Business. It's definately a dance album with some major beats so I think will be a great album for the car with the windows down and the sun shining! My general conclusion is its a bit different but I like that. Its good for bands to try something new and develop different styles.

Also, the 2nd disc edition contains 4 new tracks and 6 remixes of previous songs including one for Pump It which I absolutely love. But they are all great and I think for big BEP fans its worth the extra cash.

Join With Us (Special Edition)
Join With Us (Special Edition)
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Buy Buy!, 20 Feb. 2008
If like me you loved 'Twelve Stops and Home' and were wondering if this album could be anywhere near as good then you will not be disappointed. This album is full of yet more great catchy songs, both fast and slow. Make sure you get yourself the special edition to get the great bonus CD full of alternative versions of their previous singles. Plus the packaging is great too. Well worth the extra pennies!

Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Roberto Benigni
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A total must see film, 31 Mar. 2007
How clever it was of one of the reviewers below to reveal the entire story of this film including the ending! Well done!

This is one of the most amazing, wonderful films I have ever seen. Its a film that leaves you thinking about it days later, which are the kind I love the most. I have given it to so many of my friends and family to watch and they have all loved it. It is incredible how a film about such a terrible event can be so humorous and charming, and yet still have the emotional power that it should when portraying the Holocaust.

I have lost count on how many times I have seen it but I cry and laugh every time without fail!

And for anyone not keen on subtitled films, the DVD has a dubbed English version so now there are no excuses for not watching it! (Unless of course you have read the ending below!)

Samsung SGH-E900 Sim Free
Samsung SGH-E900 Sim Free
Offered by DIGITEL TECHNOLOGY LTD (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best phone I have ever had!, 6 Mar. 2007
This phone is fantastic and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It is amazingly small with a great design and does absolutely everything you want it too!

The issue with the touch keys. Its not a problem! It nearly put me off until i had a go on my friends and it was so simple! The way people were talking i was expecting air movement to active them! They're really not that bad. Plus i dont understand how people cancel texts becasue your fingers shouldn't be anywhere near the cancel button! And if you set the phone to answer and hang up upon sliding it, then there will never be the problem of canceling a call via the buttons!

Now ok there is the issue of the dreaded 'white screen' which touch wood hasn't happened to me. In my opinion there are always a few dodgy ones amongst anything electrical and people are always quick to moan, say the product is useless and go out of their way to put everyone else off which i think is totally unfair.

I am one of many many happy recipients of this phone. Its great. So go buy one and make everyone you know dead jealous!

Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Grey
Creative Zen MicroPhoto 8GB MP3 Player - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic!!!, 27 Dec. 2006
Got one for Christmas and am so smitten with it! Anyone not keen on getting the ipod should get one of these. They look fab, the colours and blue glow look amazing. The sound is fantastic. The photo quality is also very good for such a little device. It is packed with features, fm radio with great reception, organiser, voice recorder, it has everything.

Don't be put off by any bad reviews. There are always a few products that can be faulty and it is always these that are mentioned, never the many millions that work perfectly! So go buy one, you won't be sorry!

Shayne Ward
Shayne Ward
Offered by Rikdev Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to say it, but it's disappointing, 16 April 2006
This review is from: Shayne Ward (Audio CD)
I was so looking forward to getting this album but was so disappointed by it. Shayne was great on the X Factor and so i really had high hopes for this album but to put it bluntly, its boring! I can't believe that out of 13 tracks, 12 are slow lovey dovey ballads, while the slightly more up tempo track isn't that great anyway. The songs are ok and quite catchy but I was really looking forward to some edgy, justin timberlake kinda stuff like he sang on the show. I actually think a Westlife album would be more exciting then this and thats saying something!