Profile for English Rose > Reviews

Content by English Rose

English Rose (United Kingdom)

A Model for Living
A Model for Living
by Julian Short

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - there is no other word for it, 28 Aug. 2011
This review is from: A Model for Living (Paperback)
I am astonished that this book doesn't not yt have hundreds of glowing reviews. For me, it was life-changing in some parts. The book is marvellous - I can't recommend it enough. Don't be fooled by the cover, it has nothing to do with modelling or pretty faces!

I have read and re-read this book so many times I've lost count. It's an easy and intelligent read on matters rather complex: building strong, loving relationships and being happy. I've read a great deal of books on psychology, including textbooks and professional manuals, but this one is by far the best. My copy looks like it's been chewed on by a mouse, I go back to it often and underline things.

Written by a professional (a psychiatrist with 30 years of experience, so he knows people a little!), it is a very kind and practical guide to questions all of us without an exception have had at one time or the other of our lives. Happiness is given from within, we hear that premise quite often, but very rarely anyone tells you clearly how to do that. Some things the author writes about are so profound and yet, so very simple that you can help but wonder: how come I haven't thought about it myself? It is so obvious! It is very simply written, and has bullet points at the end of each chapter to summarise it all.

A quote from the book: "Despite all the problems and difficulties, relationships are still the best things we have". But the thing is, we are rarely taught this science. This book might help you.