Profile for Mooji > Reviews

Bridging the Gender Gap: Seven Principles for Achieving Gender Balance
Bridging the Gender Gap: Seven Principles for Achieving Gender Balance
by Lynn M. Roseberry

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a student. I have very little time to ..., 20 April 2015
I'm a student. I have very little time to write a lot of words. Over the past three years of my degree I've come to appreciate the academic authors who utilise a detailed index and table of contents. Sadly, these authors don't. This means that the typical student who checks the chapter content and index for relevant info before moving on, will move on. This book has been in my library for 4 months and has yet to be taken out by a student - when will publishers learn what we are looking for?
I spent a few minutes reading through a couple of chapters and whilst the book is well written, I won't be using it.

SWIFT PROGRAMMING GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS  (w/ Bonus Content): Learn how to create a fully functional iOS and OS X apps - in just a FEW hours! (app design, ... java, javascript, jquery, php, perl, ajax)
SWIFT PROGRAMMING GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS (w/ Bonus Content): Learn how to create a fully functional iOS and OS X apps - in just a FEW hours! (app design, ... java, javascript, jquery, php, perl, ajax)

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a waste of money, 14 Mar. 2015
Just plain awful. This is literally a cut and paste job, including text from wikipedia. This is a waste of money, an absolute rip off and I wish Amazon would take better notice of this.

Seattle Women in Rock
Seattle Women in Rock
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be in every music collection, 12 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Seattle Women in Rock (Audio CD)
I got this for a penny from Amazon a coupla years ago. Wow.

It was an impulse buy. I saw the words Seattle and Women and thought I'd check it out. It turned out to be one of the best decisions made.

The Seattle sound became commercialised quite quickly. And the landscape was full of long haired men in plaid shorts and workboots. Female fronted bands were edged out. Had social networking like FaceBook and MySpace existed, some of the bands on this CD would definitely had made the mainstream.

There's variation on this CD. Grunge was such a prolific genre, and many female fronted bands took the musical inspiration and combined it with the punk ethos of the riotgrrl movement.

This collection is fabulous. There's a massive variation in the style of music and singers, and it's a real celebration of good music and great female voices. Buy it and love it.

Leverage - Season 2 [DVD]
Leverage - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Hutton

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, sadly., 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Leverage - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I like Leverage. I like the characters, the actors and the storylines. Other than that false and annoying Brit accent, it's all good. I flew through the first series and was looking forward to the second.
It's pretty much the same.
There's little in the way of character development. We expect relationships to move on, to change, to do anything, but they all seem stuck in some type of limbo. And when each episode seems the same, the series starts to drag.
By the end of the series I found each character to be a caricature, their reactions and dialogue so cliched. Which is a shame as I liked the premise. I guess I was hoping for something a little darker. Leverage season 2 is a little twee, kinda like the Buffy series could be.
Still, there's some interesting episodes, some genuinely funny moments and I'd probably get this just to add to the first DVD set. Not too sure I'd get round to watching it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2011 1:28 PM BST

A Tribute to Alanis Morissette
A Tribute to Alanis Morissette

1.0 out of 5 stars A fab gift for the mother in law!, 27 Aug. 2010
Quite possibly the worst CD I have ever heard.
Bad production, bad. Whistly and unbalanced. Singer? Well, she gets points for pronouncing the lyrics correctly. That's about it sadly. One of the things I hate about cover albums, is that the songs are exactly the same. If there was a death metal cover of U Oughta Know, at least I could say something positive.
I've listened to this on Spotify - the entire album. It was a masochistic hour and not one I'd revisit. However, this would make an excellent present for someone you don't like.

The West Wing - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] [2006]
The West Wing - Complete Season 1-7 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen

5.0 out of 5 stars This series needs 6 stars, maybe even 7, 6 May 2010
I've wanted to do a review on this series for a couple of years now, but never seemed to be able to do it justice. This is without a doubt, a series with the best writing, best cast ensemble and best storylines. It's no coincidence that the cast and crew were drowning in Emmys by the end of series 7.

I was never into politics, and certainly not American politics. I knew enough to know George Bush was the devil, and that Tony Blair was infinitely better for us than Maggie Thatcher, but I was in my early twenties and well, there was beer to drink and parties to go to.

I'd taken ill a few years back and had to spend a couple of weeks stuck inside with only Virgin on demand and a handful of DVDs. I'd exhausted myself and the poor offerings on the TV and spotted the first five episodes of The West Wing. I watched them in an evening, pausing after the first episode to jump online and buy this boxed set.

Aaron Sorkin is a genius. He introduces us to the fast paced life in The West Wing immediately. We see the lives and jobs of the President's senior staff - boy wonder Josh "Lemon" Lyman, sad and cynical Toby Ziegler, sassy and smart CJ Cregg, dependable Leo McGarry and soulful Sam Seaborne Each character is unique and you warm to them and their foibles imediately.

The series is based around a democratic administration, and we track the 8 years (plus some great flashbacks) of President Bartlet and his staff try to push their agenda and bypass the attempts of the Republican senate to block all their legislation. Medicare, gun control, banking regulations - all issues that raised their head in my lifetime and I learnt a lot from just watching this show. Josh and Donna would regularly debate the issues at hand, a great way to see two sides of each story.

The plot develops and characters intertwine over the 7 series. The complexities of the American political system are explained well and political and philosophical themes were explored. This sowed a seed in me and I began to learn much more about American and British politics.

The cast bounced off eachother - with passion, with anger, with humour. There are some genuinely hilarious moments, the type where you rewind the DVD and watch and laugh. And the dialogue. Oh the dialogue. Fast paced, heavy hitting and just perfect. This show is heavy on words and I loved each and every one of them.

I've watched the entire series a few times now. I've compared it to shows like The Wire, 6 feet under etc and it never comes up short. There are some wonderful episodes that echo real life and its enthalling and exhilarating watching them.

Interestingly, the inspiration for Matt Santos was a little known senator called Barack Obama - watching this series a few years after it was shown made me see how insightful the wrting was, and how astute the political research was.

I paid much more for this boxed set, but at this price it's a bargain. So much so, I've bought another one - just in case. From a personal persepctive - this series opened me up to so many new ideas and beliefs.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2011 10:31 AM BST

Grave Secret
Grave Secret
by Charlaine Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended with a bang and a whimper (spoiler!), 22 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Grave Secret (Hardcover)
Dammit. Harper Connolly was probably one of my avourite charachters of Charlaine Harris. After being struck by lightning she can sense the dead and how they died. Pretty unique premise, isn't it? The first three books didn't disappoint - we learn of Harper's background with her abusive and drug addicted parents, her sister's disappearance and her eventual love affair with step brother Tolliver.
Each book was great - original concepts, the relationship between Harper and Tolliver deepening and the introduction of great characters like Manfred. There were some great stories and I was anticipating the final book of the series - Grave Secret.
What a let down.
It was lazy. Lazy in it's writing, lazy in it's development and lazy in it's conclusion. Did all the focus on Vampire Bill mean that Grave Secret hardly got a look in? To end a series with a conclusion from a previous book IN THE SAME SERIES is a shocker. The whirlwind ending wasn't as conclusive as I thought but seemed to end with, well, a whimper.
It's a shame, as the first three books rocked, and I like everything else Miss Harris has done, but honestly? If you don't have the time to do your characters justice then delay the novel - don't just rush out something like this.

Cracker - Complete Collection [DVD]
Cracker - Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robbie Coltrane

5.0 out of 5 stars I drink too much, I smoke too much, I gamble too much. I am too much., 22 Mar. 2010
This has to be one of my favourite TV shows. Robbie Coltrane plays Fitz, a man desperate to be living on the edge. He ignores his long suffering wife and two children to help the police solve a murder - a student of his that he was extremely close to. He gets results and the series starts for real - more murders and more cases needing a psychological profile, but along the way drives other people to distraction by challenging them, insulting them and psychoanalysing them. He spends more and more time on police cases and away from his family, and more time with Penhaligan, a female detective who both loathes and likes him. As the series progresses we see many reasons why Fitz has the relationships he does. He is both arrogant and charming, generous and selfish and drinks, gambles and smokes way too much, but we love him anyway.
There are several great stories in this DVD set, and some brill actors popping up along the way - Samantha Morton and Robert Carlyle probably the best. Robert Carlyle's character was truly disturbing, and at this point I realised how good Jimmy McGovern's writing was. At times, Fitz would meet a killer who could analyse him too, and the dialogue would be fascinating.
The show is set in Manchester in the mid to late 90s and I love looking at Manchester and how it used to be - the old Arndale, Victoria station etc, all before the bombing and regeneration - the skyline is markedly different.
For me, this show set the bar high for all the police dramas that came after it, and very few came close. This boxed set covers all the episodes including the 1996 "White Ghost" but doesn't include the 2006 episode.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 2:10 AM GMT

Forbidden Fruit
Forbidden Fruit
by Erica Spindler

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought I was reading fantasy for a moment...., 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Forbidden Fruit (Paperback)
I like Erica Spindler. Up until a couple of months ago I'd seen her books and just written her off as another one of those authors who was sold in supermarkets. How wrong I was. I read "see Jane Die" in an evening and within a few days ordered a fair amount of her back catalogue and liked 'em all. Other than this one.
I like to think I'm quite widely read, and don't favour one genre in particular. As voracious a reader as I am, I can't stand romance novels and this certainly seemed like one. It felt like Erica took a pinch of VC Andrews, another pinch of Jeffrey Archer and an echo of herself and came up with this.
The narrative is a simple love story with the usual complications of people not wanting to put themselves out there and get hurt, being brought up in dire circumstances, sigh sigh cliche. The main protaganists are polar opposites (and inevitably unbelieveably attracted to eachother because of it) and there are so many cliched plot twists I really only persevered because, well, I hoped it would get better.
The most interesting part of the novel was the serial killer who was just glossed over. Instead we had some bizarre pastiche of Snow White and the wicked step mother and a happy ever after.
In fairness, it wasn't badly written, and wrapped up tidily. I just much much prefer her other work.

Lakota Woman
Lakota Woman
by Richard Erdoes

5.0 out of 5 stars A female narrative - About time!, 16 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Lakota Woman (Paperback)
I've read a lot of books about AIM and the history of Native Americans and the First Nations. So far Russell Mean's autobiography is the one I go back to time and time again. I'd alqays wanted to know more about the women and their views and their thoughts. They were the ones that held families together whilst there were demonstrations and riots but they got very little coverage.
Lakota Woman was recommended to me and I cant believe it's taken me so long to discover it. Mary Crow Dog isn't a wonderful story teller - her narrative weaves in and out of a chronological order, and I'd have to sit back and put it all into place, but after a while I really got into it. Mary is talking to us - she's not writing to us. She's telling the story as though we were sat at her kitchen table.
There is little to read of her life growing up - typically indian for the 50s. She does reference the difficulties she faced, but it's when she gets more involved with AIM that we learn more about Mary and her dry sense of humour.
She describes how she learns to take pride in her culture, learning more about the ways of her people. She describes the sense of excitement during Wounded Knee, bring part of something so important and seeing her family and friends around her injured and killed. You never hear her say "It's not fair" which is something I think I'd have trouble not saying, but she constantly comments on how indians have a whole other way of being treated.
Lakota Woman won't give you any real insight into the political history of AIM, or any detailed information of Native civil rights, but it will tell you the story of a woman learning to take pride in her culture and heritage. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4