Profile for Mr. M. J. Robotham > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. J. Robotham

Mr. M. J. Robotham (Galicia, Spain.)

The Little Mac Book, Snow Leopard Edition (Little Book)
The Little Mac Book, Snow Leopard Edition (Little Book)

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Mac Book, Snow Leopard Edition, The [Kindle Edition], 25 April 2011
I have one reservation about having bought this book on Kindle rather than as a paperback. The book itself was not a disappointment but it did show the biggest drawback of Kindle - the illustrations, of which there are many, are very diffcult to use, they are both too small and unclear.

I am a fan of Kindle but I will not buy a book that relies upon illustrations again.

Volver (Almodovar) [DVD]
Volver (Almodovar) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Penelope Cruz
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by inadequate sub-titles, 22 July 2007
This review is from: Volver (Almodovar) [DVD] (DVD)
It must be said that I enjoyed this film a lot, particularly when Penelope Cruz was on the screen, but it was spoilt by the awful sub-titles that often confused rather than informed. I am learning Spanish and this helped me follow the action but even so some aspects of the plot remained confusing until after the film was over and I had a chance of reading up on the reviews. Certainlt, as has been already pointed out, one cannot have a word for word translation (and when faced with rapid Spanish this is even more difficult)however I do feel in this case the sub-titles were completely inadequate.
The extra features were excellent and revealing, well worth the price of admission by themselves.

Olympus SP500 Digital Camera [6MP, 10 x Optical Zoom] Silver
Olympus SP500 Digital Camera [6MP, 10 x Optical Zoom] Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 10 Jan 2006
I picked the SP-500 as a replacement to my old ultra zoom Olympus, the C-765. The 10x lens was the same, but whereas the C-765 was 4.0MP, the new camera was 6.0, and in addition the old camera’s rather expensive batteries (the LI-10B), had been exchanged for the far more sensible AA size. I have now been using the new camera for a month and on the whole I am faintly disappointed with it. The most important element of any camera is the lens and in the C-765 it was a beauty. As in theory the SP-500 had the same lens I expected similar results, however I am don’t at all sure I have seen them. It is not a question of the images being softer but rather that there is a quality to them that hasn’t quite got the same biting impact the old camera produced.
The SP-500 comes with a very impressive 2.5-inch LCD screen, as well as the smaller viewfinder. Now I do not like these LCD screens, too many people use them by holding their cameras out at arms length, thus making it very difficult to hold the camera steady. What they should do is to use the screens for viewing the results and their small viewfinders for taking the pictures, but of course that doesn’t happen a lot, which is why many cameras mow have a built-in steady shot feature. However the SP-500 does not have one and therefore it is very important to hold the camera steady or of course use a tripod, particularly when using the zoom at it’s maximum expansion. The other feature of the viewing that I think is bad is the loss of the Diopter adjustment that the C-7675 has. As a spectacle user I miss that feature a lot. The bigger AA batteries has dictated a larger and slightly heavier camera, which I found to be easier to hold, though the placement of the pop-up flash means I have to be careful not to press down on it.
Because of the value for money factor (the SP-500 is down to about £230 from Amazon) I do recommend it, though with some reservations, and will certainly continue to use it with no doubt good results. But, as you may suspect by now, I do rather miss my C-765, although in fact it is still with me. I dropped the camera in an accident a few months ago and the front element of the lens dropped out and became marked. I managed to put the element back in place, albeit a little looser than before, and found to my astonishment that it carried on producing good pictures. At the moment I am waiting to hear from Olympus as to whether they can repair the camera properly for me.