Profile for sturmhalo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Hesitation Marks
Hesitation Marks

4.0 out of 5 stars In short..., 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Hesitation Marks (Audio CD)
Good album, reminiscent of The Fragile but a few little surprises here and there. Not as aggressive as earlier albums. Very listenable, bit of a grower perhaps but not one to get the blood pumping.

Force Of Habit
Force Of Habit

4.0 out of 5 stars Southworld edition (2012) and a potential problem!, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Force Of Habit (Audio CD)
Others have already offered perfectly good reviews of the music contained in this album so I can't add much more to that. There are just a few points that need to be made about this particular release of Force of Habit though. This version is released on Southworld Recordings, comes in a jewel case unlike the previous release that other reviewers have noted (the inlay has lyrics printed), and features 2 bonus tracks in addition to the original 13 tracks. The bonus tracks are 'Crawl Before You Walk' and 'Telepathetic'.

One thing that I must point out that may or may not be an issue for some buyers is that there may be a problem getting the disc to play correctly on some systems. It plays perfectly well on my laptop but the problem is with getting track 1 to play on my Marantz CD player - the disc reads fine but the player can't find track 1 when trying to play the disc. The work-around is to skip to track 2 and rewind through track 1 to position 0.02. Two discs in a row have exhibited the same problem for me so it's clearly either a manufacturing issue or one of hardware compatibility.

Persecution Mania/Obsessed By Cruelty
Persecution Mania/Obsessed By Cruelty

3.0 out of 5 stars Correct track listing for Obsessed by Cruelty, 17 April 2012
As has been pointed out the track listing for Obsessed by Cruelty (including the 'In the sign of evil' EP) is a little different to that printed on the inlay, plus a number of intro's read as separate tracks which is a bit confusing. The actual tracks are as follows:

In the Sign of Evil E.P.

16. Fall of majesty town
17. Nuctemeron
18. Pretenders to the throne
19. Witchhamer

The track 'After the Deluge' is omitted from the CD version of the album.

Beyond Magnetic
Beyond Magnetic

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 12 April 2012
This review is from: Beyond Magnetic (Audio CD)
To be honest I can see why these tracks didn't make it onto Death Magnetic. It's an O.K. set of songs but they don't really stand out. Probably released to try and make up for Lulu.

Vanquish (PS3)
Vanquish (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Shooter, 9 Jan. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Vanquish (PS3) (Video Game)
First up I should say that I'm not a hardcore shooter fan. I don't rack up days worth of gameplay perfecting my reflexes and only playing on the hardest setting. Even though I'd played the demo and rather enjoyed that I still wasn't sure if the game was really for me. However I'm really glad I did get it as it's a surprisingly enjoyable playing experience.

Probably the first thing you notice is how good the game looks and sounds. It has a slightly arcade feel to it what with the soundtrack and effects which hypnotizes you like 70's disco, but in a good way. The action is fast and furious with bullets whizzing all over the place and various things exploding. And boy those robots explode in a very satisfying manner. All good fun.

There is a back story and some nice cut scenes to go with it along with a bit of cheesy dialogue but that's really just candy floss. When you're blasting robots left right and centre you're not too concerned with the superfluous story arc. Shoot robots, destroy end of level boss robot... you know the score.

It's a third person shooter so I was all prepared for awkward camera controls and dodgy viewpoints (I'm looking at you Enslaved!) which usually have me bumping into scenery and leave me swinging the camera around like a drunken You've Been Framed clip. Not so however with Vanquish! The camera control is pretty fluid and works well with the movement controls. None of this looking through your own arse whilst you grind up on a wall wondering where the bad guy has gone, oh... your dead! I should also point out that the rest of the controls are pretty intuitive except for the bullet time slo-mo thing that seems compulsory these days. In the heat of the moment it's easy to forget about it and how exactly to trigger it (press two buttons but keep the second one depressed whilst releaseing the first and was that L1 or L2? Oh obviously it's not the one I've just tried because I've rolled forward into a robot's face!). It's not really essential for the game either so it doesn't matter too much. The effect is triggered automatically though if you take critical damage to help you evade enemy fire so that's the most use I've got out of it.

Gameplay essentially involves getting from point A to point B whilst destroying the enemy robots before tackling the occasional boss robot. On the battlefield you can pick up different weapons which all have their strengths and weaknesses. A little tip, if your ammo is full still grab those weapons as they will help improve the effectiveness of the weapon and its ammo capacity. There are some quick time events that trigger during combat but my only gripe with these is that they seem to trigger more by chance than design.

The AI is functional and possibly a bit predictable. Enemy robots don't tend to use complex tactics but will utilise cover (sometimes) and your ever present friendlies whom you're fighting alongside function pretty well though again nothing too out of the ordinary. Occasionally they will get in your way though and they don't like being pushed past as they stand their ground whilst you walk against them. They do have a tendency to stand in your line of fire too and will happily take your bullets.

It's not a particularly difficult game (bear in mind I haven't played on the hardest setting yet) but I think that's the thing that makes it so playable. It doesn't have all the stress of a game like MW2 and a lot of that comes down to that arcade feel of the game. It's not trying to offer realism and an experience equivalent to the Army's beasting of a new recruit. Vanquish is simply enjoyable and fun. There are plenty of trophies to be earned for your PS profile and these come thick and fast early on. I think Vanquish has good replay potential thanks to the trophies and scoring system and it doesn't leave you emotionally exhausted like some games. It's not necessarily genre breaking but it is rather refreshing after a glut of sandbox open world action adventure RPG games. Well worth getting just to remember how much fun shooting robots is.

Panasonic TX-P42G10B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Plasma TV with Freesat - Installation Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, 18 Nov. 2009
I bought this TV primarily to use for DVD/Blu-ray and gaming; for which it is perfect. Even standard definition DVD's look good, even without upscaling (which I actually think is over rated). Standard TV pictures look OK, though this size TV does show up the limitations of the source image. Some channels look better than others too. I don't have access to any of the HD channels (which are few and far between still) so I can't offer a comparison there. Do bear in mind though that the picture quality does improve with use. If the first image you see upon turning your TV on for the first time is SD TV, you might be disappointed (as was I), but give it time to run in and make full use of HD source material and you'll get the most out of this TV.

Read Or Die [2001] [DVD]
Read Or Die [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Abraham
Offered by A-2-B DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars More enjoyable second time round, 31 May 2006
This review is from: Read Or Die [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this out of curiosity and my first viewing of it left me disappointed. It seemed a rather crazy set of characters and events and just didn't appeal to me at all. A secret agent who's a bumbling bookworm school teacher with the power to manipulate paper in incredible ways, OTT bad guys drawn from history, and a general smattering of insanity just weren't my thing. One month on however and my opinion has changed! I decided to give the English language dub a go and see what that was like. And I found it improved things a lot. I warmed to the characters more and the story just made a lot more sense. It's still a rather insane piece of anime but I've come to quite like it for its sheer kookiness.

Azumi [DVD]
Azumi [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aya Ueto
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable enough, 31 May 2006
This review is from: Azumi [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't sure what to expect of Azumi. A work colleague recommended the film to me but reviews on Amazon were mixed. I decided to pay up and see. And I wasn't disappointed. The comparisons with Crouching Tiger... and House of Flying Daggers are to be expected. Azumi is their younger sister if you will. It's an enjoyable film to watch but it doesn't have the same depth to either the story or the characters. The plot is pretty much laid out at the beginning of the film and it's then followed through to its logical conclusion. The fight scenes are actually quite good. Similar kind of action to the aforementioned films but done in an ever so slightly different way. The opening 'fight' scene did seem a little weak but subsequent engagements were flashy enough to satisfy. The character of Azumi is a likeable enough one, and she's a very attractive girl too. Throw in a deranged transvestite, a ninja who looks like a monkey, and more sword fodder bad guys than you can shake a stick at and you've got a good bit of viewing for a few hours. If it's going cheap buy it. You could do a lot worse.

Casshern - Limited Metal DVD Box Edition
Casshern - Limited Metal DVD Box Edition
Dvd ~ Yesuke Iseya
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and your sanity, 3 May 2006
The blurb on the back of the DVD case got my attention and intrigued me enough to buy this film. However, I honestly wish I'd saved my money and bought something else. The visuals are great. Lots of CGI and very impressive. In fact most of the film appears to be CGI (think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow etc), but the flashy visuals don't make up for an essentially awful film. The story lurches along in fits and starts and some scenes raise more questions than there are answers given. For example: where did the big lightning bolt at the start of the film come from? And why? It's an essential part of the story but the viewer is expected to just accept that some things happen (seemingly to purely drive the story forward). This film is also overly sentimental, with every scene attempting to be so emotional and full of deep meaning. However it's so over done that you soon find yourself tiring of it and it just becomes silly. Each scene tries through visuals, music, and dialogue to push towards some great climax (even from the beginning of the first scene!) that is never really delivered. Emotionally this film is very immature and just leaves the viewer cringing. Over all it is nothing but a cross between a film makers wet dream and an adolescents fantasy.

Robotech - Macross Saga Vol. 2 [DVD]
Robotech - Macross Saga Vol. 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert V Barron
Offered by media-4-u

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just big robots knocking the hell out of each other!, 3 May 2006
I bought the first Robotech DVD with some trepidation. I knew it was a classic series loved by the fans but I wasn't sure if it would live up to my expectations, considering its age. I was however pleasantly surprised. Yes, the animation is far from cutting edge when compared with todays fare, but the combat scenes featuring the SDF 1, veritech fighters and the vast Zentradi space craft do still manage to impress and I admit feeling a certain amount of awe when watching these. Over all the series is perhaps a little dated (and rather Americanised), but don't let that put you off. The story line is excellent and shows surprising sophistication at times. This isn't simply about big mecha robots knocking lumps out of each other. It's also an intriguing story that keeps your attention and cleverly ensures you want to see that next episode. The feel of the original series is also kept by having the full intro before each episode, plus a brief synopsis of the previous episode, and also the break for commercials half way through (though no commercials thank god!). This is fun but after the first few episodes you may find your finger hitting the skip button on your remote when the intro starts yet again. As far as volume 2 in this series of DVDs is concerned, it's on a par with the first volume. Episode 14 however is a little disappointing as it is essentially just a recap of what happened in the first 13 episodes. Perhaps more essential for a TV audience but I did tend to fast forward through most of that episode. With all these Robotech DVDs what you see is what you get. Just the series and no extras. These may have been a nice addition to such an important anime series, but to be honest I doubt there's room on the 2 discs for any extras considering the run times.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4