Profile for Hilary McGowan > Reviews

Content by Hilary McGowan

Hilary McGowan (Somerset)

SanDisk SDSDB-008G-B35 8 GB Secure 4 MB/s Class 4 SDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)

1.0 out of 5 stars The seller is appallingly bad at responding to queries, 15 Aug 2013
I cancelled this order as it was part of a present and I could not get a reply from the seller about when it would arrive. I got 4 confirmation emails after I bought it (this always makes me suspicious) and another 4 the following day confirming despatch. But a week later there was no sign of it and the present was going to my sister by then. I emailed them (using the Amazon system) asking what the delivery date was likely to be and if they could send another copy direct to her (she lives 200 miles from me) but received no response. I did then see that the estimated date of delivery was a slot THREE weeks long - was the disk walking to me? This is unacceptable I suggest. It is also unacceptable to ignore a reasonable query from a customer.

Four days later, having had to buy a disk from a shop to complete my sister's present, I emailed them again and cancelled the order. They acknowledged this and refunded my money promptly. They asked that you didn't leave negative feedback without first contacting them but what can you do when they ignore your attempt to contact them? So don't use this seller under any circumstances!

Court Confidential: Inside The World Of Tennis
Court Confidential: Inside The World Of Tennis
by Neil Harman

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is excellent, 27 July 2013
Although I read Neil Harman's in "The Times", and I follow him on Twitter, I still found this book fascinating. Neil is clearly held in high regard by the tennis world, so he has unprecedented access to its inner sanctum. What was a pleasant surprise was that it wasn't just a diary of who played who at which tournament, there is much more to it than that. I learnt a lot about how professional tennis works, what needs fixing and what works well. It's very well written, so is easy to read (as you would expect from Neil's newspaper writing). I read it during Wimbledon and it was great to re-live the triumphs and disasters of 2012 (I'm British!) and as an Andy Murray fan, good to reflect on how he's improved since the beginning of that memorable year. I recommend this book highly.

One of Our Thursdays is Missing (Thursday Next)
One of Our Thursdays is Missing (Thursday Next)
by Jasper Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars One of our Thursdays is missings, 21 April 2012
I always enjoy Jasper Fforde and I especially enjoy his Thursday Next books. However, this one is just a bit off the boil compared to the others. Very witty, funny, interesting story as always but the heroine herself isn't in it much and so it loses something with her absence. The writtten Thursday grew on me as the story progressed and there are some good characters in it - a robot butler who can always mix a mean cocktail anyone? - but I hope Fforde uses the real Thursday more in his next novel. However, do read it, it's fun and very easy to read, but Fforde set the bar so high, it's not surprising if occasionally he fails to soar to new heights.

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (2 PCs, 1 User)
Offered by Happy deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally getting up to date, 3 Jan 2012
I found the reviews of this helpful in deciding which version of Office to buy. But I was still on XP so was very out of date, hence many of the problems encountered by others were not relevant to me. I'm very happy with this and my new computer too. For the first time in years my netbook and my office computer have got the same software, so it makes life much easier. But even if you weren't as out of date as me, do make time to get to the know the software before you have a major deadline, in my case a tender! Pressure does not help you learn.

The Rough Guide to Toronto
The Rough Guide to Toronto
by Phil Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guidebook, 21 April 2011
This is an excellent guidebook to Toronto. Small enough to carry round easily, and full of sensible and interesting advice and guidance. As with all Rough Guides, it tells it like it is and that is invaluable. I bought it for my first trip to Canada and stayed in Toronto on my own for a weekend. There's basic info on Canada and the city generally for those like me who hadn't visited before but most of the book describes the buildings and interesting places to visit in the city. You can easily walk round with it in your hand and the maps are clear and of a good scale.
I recommend it thoroughly.

Nature's Engraver: A Life of Thomas Bewick
Nature's Engraver: A Life of Thomas Bewick
by Jenny Uglow

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding biography, 28 July 2008
This is an outstandingly good biography of this amazing engraver whose work I have long admired. It is very easy to read and although he lived to a ripe old age, the story does not drag. Uglow evokes smoky, smelly, cramped Newcastle-upon-Tyne superbly and contrasts this with the wilds of Northumberland where Bewick grew up and where his heart remained. A must for anyone interested in history, art, countryside or just life!