ARRAY(0xab46cf84)

Profile for Mario Silva > Reviews

Content by Mario Silva

Mario Silva (Amsterdam, Netherlands)

Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g
Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g
by Rick Greenwald

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent introduction, 13 Mar 2008
I started reading this book with certain expectations. I work daily with Oracle so I always felt the need to know more about certain aspects of the database itself and the way things work in the background. This book started a bit disappointing, because the initial chapters seem like a shopping list of features, stating thoroughly all the features that are available with this version of Oracle (that's the reason of only four stars).

However, past that initial and overly long listing, the book becomes very interesting and, more importantly, goes directly to the point. I can't say that I knew much Oracle to start with, so this book helped me in two ways: by explaining the basics of this DBMS and going to the trouble of even to remind me of some basic database concepts. The chapters become more and more complete, as you read, making the reader see Oracle more like an application suite than a dedicated DBMS.

I strongly recommend this book to all those starting to use Oracle, as an excellent introduction to the more simple and complex aspects of this application.