Profile for Paul Courtney > Reviews

A Word In Your Ear
A Word In Your Ear
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars QUIETLY LOUD!, 26 Mar. 2002
This review is from: A Word In Your Ear (Audio CD)
Wake up Britain's black hooded skate boarding Greenday nerds. This is the sound of British Indie Rock and it should be speaking to the youth.
There is a wonderful thing going on in British Indie music scene at the moment in time. The current batch of bands ie. Alfie, January, Badly Drawn Boy, Clearlake etc. All these bands nod there heads in the direction of the Stone Roses, My bloody Valentine et al but they sound fresh, unhurried and NEW. This album picks up and runs with their previous EPs. It is 10 tracks of thoughtfull bliss. Buy it and play it loud. You may find, Mr Skateboard, that you trash your Limp Custard Cream Ant farm albums.

Invitation to Openness
Invitation to Openness
Offered by musicjapan

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Fusion that sits easily alongside Miles Davis et al, 10 July 2001
This review is from: Invitation to Openness (Audio CD)
I am lucky enough to own this album on Vinyl. I came by it by chance really. I bought it expecting it to be in the same vein as McCann's Sixties recordings for Atlantic which were all very Soulful Jazz outings ' Compared to What ' etc. What I got however is a three track Fusion masterpiece. I know this album should be up there with 'In a silent way', 'Bitch's Brew' and other Miles Davis fusion recordings but it is not. This I think is because of McCann's down home rathe un-suave appearance and out-look. He can never be the Moody audience hating upstart that Davis was and this stands out in this recording which is why it is Fusion that moves and Funks along without getting pretentious. Parts of the album could go it on any openminded Funk dancefloor however it slips from this into some pretty deep stuff. It never leaves you feeling 'What the bloody hell is going on ?' though. Beaux J. Pooboo will always be the stand-out track for me. I have seen Les McCann live twice in a very small now shutdown Jazz venue in London. He deserves to pack the Albert Hall, buy this album and you will understand what I mean. Play this and then listen to 'In a silent way'. It is just as great, it's just not Miles Davis. And before Davis fans jump on me saying 'but he created fusion', I don't care this does it for me!!!! BUY IT!!!