Profile for D. S. Bondar > Reviews

Content by D. S. Bondar

D. S. Bondar (Nottingham, United Kingdom)

Rasputin
Rasputin
Offered by simply-well-priced
Price: 5.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Turisas - Gods of Metal.....and Disco, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: Rasputin (Audio CD)
First saw Turisas when they supported Lordi and have seen them twice since (and will be seeing them again in 2008 in Peterborough). This song is brilliant. Fun, Heavy and ALWAYS a crowd pleaser when played live (which they have played everytime I've seen them). Excellent song from an excellent band.

Southampton's Cult Heroes: Saints' 20 Greatest Icons
Southampton's Cult Heroes: Saints' 20 Greatest Icons
by Jeremy Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Footballing book, 16 Feb 2007
This book is an excellent read for all Southampton fans and football fans alike. At times funny, at others moving, all the time exhilarating. It highlights the decline that some players from a previous generation of footballers find themselves in but also some of the highs that can be reached. It is a great historical book and I have learned so much about Southampton and football in general from each chapter.

I've not actually finished reading it yet, however after reading the Danny Wallace section, which is incredibly moving, I just had to write a review.

Buzz! The Music Quiz With Buzzers (PS2)
Buzz! The Music Quiz With Buzzers (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buzz-tastic, 31 Dec 2005
Easily the best party game available for PS2. Great fun with 2-4 players. Spent most of Christmas Day playing this game, and then even more on Boxing Day. If you enjoy playing fun games with friends, then this is the game for you.
Sports, Film and T.V and General Knowledge are all due out in 2006.

Reise, Reise
Reise, Reise
Price: 9.46

4.0 out of 5 stars Rammstein - Reise, Reise, 30 Sep 2004
This review is from: Reise, Reise (Audio CD)
While this album is not as instantly impactful on the first hearing, like Sehnsucht or Mutter, upon subsequent listens you realise that this album has so much depth and character, and is as good, if not better, than their previous work, which is an astonishing achievement seeing as their previous work is some of the best music in recent times (my opinion of course). The music is much deeper than anything Rammstein have done in the past, much more melodic, and less industrial. Songs like Mein Teil and Amerika are deeply rooted in Rammstein tradition (heavy crunching riffs, sweeping keyboards) however the real gems on the album are some of the more emotional and slightly off kilter songs, like Los and Ohne Dich. However, the stand out track for me has to be the wonderful Moskau. A mix of German and Russian lyrics make this song so interesting to listen to, no matter how many times you run through it. This album is a real departure for Rammstein into a wider world of music, where I'm sure they, and the fans, will enjoy the exploring.

Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Galactica 03 Vs Galactica 79, 7 April 2004
I have finally got round to watching this, and while it is enjoyable, I do not think it is better than the original in a number of areas.
I will start with the bad points...........
*First off, Starbuck is annoying. Quite a bad thing seeing as this is one of the lead characters.
*None of the characters really stands out as someone you want to like - you do not empathise with them at all.
*The space battles, while realistic, are confusing as hell as it is just a quick view of a ship followed by explosion after explosion. The original had better effects, especially now they have been cleaned up for the DVD.
*The Cylons - I can see how this decision was made........"We have X amount as a budget, the special effects alone would cost us this much. Maybe we should drop the 40ft armoured daggits?"; "No, I have an even better idea, lose the daggits, but lets make the Cylons human, thus saving us special effects costs as we will get pretty much unknown people in to play them. It worked with Galactica 80."; "Yeah, you're right, it did. Good idea Ron." I'm sorry but human Cylons is a cop out. The other "drones" were O.K, but old Cylons are still the best. It didn't work for Galactica 80, and doesn't in this. The original Cylons should still be in control over anything they made. The human Cylons should be the drones.
Right, stuff I actually liked.........
*I like the whole military approach to the Galactica now. Works much better than the schmaltsy Bridge in the original. Seems more believable.
*The battle between the Galactica's battery guns and the Cylon Base ships was excellent - probably because it wasn't cutting this way and that every few seconds.
*Caprica city looked so much more like a city than anything in the original. I know there was over 20 years difference in technology between the 2, but it was still impressive.
*I thought the story had been worked in a good way, which made it a bit more down to earth, a bit more gritty. Less religous guff than the original.
*It showed the stresses and tensions during battle between the crew members in a way that the original never did.
*The way in which they worked the Baltar character was very good. You feel that he is good, but know he is only out for himself.
So, overall I was impressed, but I still think the original has a few things that the new one could learn from. I am looking forward to the new series and hope that they do build on what the pilot has started and not just turn it into Galactica 90210, as has been suggested on some of the fan sites.

Battlestar Galactica (PS2)
Battlestar Galactica (PS2)
Offered by funfair games
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Battlestar Galactica is back, 2 Jan 2004
Right, set the scene for you....I LOVE BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. I had this on order since August and have got the Special Edition DVD Box set on the way. I am not even going to try an unbiased review as it will be impossible.
Now I think this game is great, however it is quite tough, but not impossible. The graphics are functional over spectacular however there is no visible slowdown at all, which is quite an achievement when you consider everything that is happening on screen. The Audio is top notch with all the music from the original series really adding to the atmosphere however the Cylon voices are a little bit different. The cut scenes set the sections up well and it is all done with just the right amount of cheese to make it feel like the 70's are back with us.
The only bad point of this game is the targeting system. All of the controls are set up brilliantly however on some missions you are given a set of targets to hit, it is extremely difficult to find them as the targeting system does not pick out your primary objectives for you. On time based missions this just makes things REALLY irritating.
Apart from this one flaw, I think it is an exceptional addition to the Galactica universe.

Battlestar Galactica: Rebellion
Battlestar Galactica: Rebellion
by Richard Hatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Galactica or a waste of your time ?, 30 July 2002
The anticipation for this book has been so great since finishing the last one. Richard Hatch's series of books have been getting better and better. Is this the book that changes that trend or does it carry on with the stadards set before it. The first few pages were, I found, quite confusing and I was seriously worried that Mr Hatch had wandered to far away from the original Galactica universe and then, all of a sudden, WHAM! I was back in the Galactica universe and could not get out until I had read every last page. The story gently sucks you in until it is too late. I read this book in 2 days, and I am a slow reader. I had to know what happens to my beloved characters and could not stop reading until I knew. This book is about the political wranglings and deviousnous within the Galactica and not about the Cylons as much as the previous books which means you learn alot about the characters involved and grow to love them even more. A brilliant story, which has just got me all hyped up for book number 5. Richard Hatch's book are the next best thing to a new series we could hope for. The Galactica universe is counting on him, and the fans to buy this book and make the powers that be see that we want a continuation of the Galactica universe on screen, with our favourite characters and not a re-imagining.