Profile for redsandra > Reviews

Nightingale Wood (VMC)
by Stella Gibbons
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nightingale Wood (VMC) (Paperback)
I've just finished this book, having stayed in bed this morning to do so. Why had I never heard of it before now? I have long loved 'Cold Comfort Farm', but think this is even better. This book is an early 20th century fairy story, twinkling with humour, and I have very much enjoyed immersing myself in the beauty and magic of the Nightingale Wood.

Inecto Pure Coconut Conditioner 500ml
Inecto Pure Coconut Conditioner 500ml
Offered by Activecare Online
Price: 4.42

5.0 out of 5 stars best buy, 22 Nov 2011
I only bought this for purposes of nit combing (my glamourous life...) because it was the cheapest I could find so imagine my joy when I found out that if you leave it on a long time (plastic bag and towel wrapped - 1 hour?) it acts as a fantastic intensive conditioner for dry hair. The results are as good as products costing 20 times as much. Seems incredible, I know, but how wonderful to find it.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson
Price: 12.91

1.0 out of 5 stars what's the point of recipes that don't work?, 14 Nov 2011
I enjoyed reading this book, but it is a work of fiction. I would like Nigella Lawson to explain to me what the point is of a recipe book which you can't trust because so many of the recipes don't work. One notable example was the chocolate log recipe. There are four women in my family and we all love chocolate. The fact that this chocolate log was so sickly it had to be thrown away says it all. I also made the chocolate brownies and they never set, even though I left them in the oven for much longer than instructed. Having had similar experiences with recipes from NL's other books, I have come to the conclusion that they are to be read as entertainment, not to be cooked from. Feeling this, I now feel ripped off, because when you spend this much money on a cookbook, you have a right to expect the recipes have been tested, or at least proofread by someone who knows dud instructions when they see them.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 3:14 PM GMT

Screwpull Sparkling Wine Stopper
Screwpull Sparkling Wine Stopper
Offered by The Wine Cellar
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 18 Sep 2010
This item is easy to use and does a good job of keeping champagne fizzy for several days. I recommend it.