Profile for M. A. Ratcliffe > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Exoplanet
Exoplanet

5.0 out of 5 stars rewards after a few listens., 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Exoplanet (Audio CD)
This album is excellent. I didn't know what to think of it on first listen, but after about 4 listens I was hooked. The highlight of the album for me are The Tracks Flourish and Vessel.

I can't be bothered giving a detailed review at this juncture; I just wanted to see some stars next to this release - I n this case a resounding 5.

Well done, guys. Have a biscuit

Manual of The Warrior of Light
Manual of The Warrior of Light
by Paulo Coelho

1.0 out of 5 stars Pop Spirituality - airport reading for the easily distracted, 24 Dec. 2012
This book has apparently had a 'life-enchanicing impact on millions of people' (THE TIMES). If this is truly so, then that's great.

I considered giving up on this book half way through. I am quite surprised at the success of such a book. Having read The Prophet by Kahil Gibran, and been moved by his beautiful verses on family, friendship, work etc, I just found this book to be totally inferior and superfluous exercise in catchphrasing. Paulo Coelho obviously likes this metaphor of a 'Warrior of light', with his 'sword', his 'tent' and his 'opponents', sitting around the fire boasting of his adventures,but there seems very little to inspire behind this exhausting metaphor. For example, scratch below the surface, and you might be suddenly left a bit confused by the jarring contradictions in Coelhos's 'thinking'. On page 213, Our Warrior of light 'shares wtih others what he knows of the path', which simply means that he 'needs to teach what he learnt...sits by the fire and recounts his day in the battlefield'. However, this same 'warrior' 'knows that the fool who gives advice about someone else's garden is not tending his own plants' (p. 259). So what we have is an image of a fool sitting around the fire thrusting his 'wisdom' onto people who are warriors of light in thier own right, and have their own 'gardens' to tend to (p.41, for instance, where he says that 'no one is stupid and that life teaches everyone') Paulo - what are you TALKING about, mate?

I much preferred Chogyam Trugpa Rinpoches admirable 'Sacred Path of the Warrior' to Coelho's soulless 'Warrior of Light'.

Trust me - there are philosophical/spritual books out there that make this one look like airport reading for the easily distracted.

I realy wanted to like this book, but it just seemed so banal and pointless.

Gentle Spirit [Audio CD]
Gentle Spirit [Audio CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally spellbinding Debut, 24 Dec. 2012
This is a true five star piece of timelessness. The production and sogwriting are brilliant. Johnathan wilson has a really good ear for music and i cant remember ever hearing a voice that is so beautifully in tune with the music for a long time. This guy really feels his music.

I can probably liken the music to Harvest-ear Neil Young and Meddle Era Pink Floyd that have been partying it up with Jimi Hendrix. Radiohead have also entered the atmosphere, to tweak the production and emotional imput.

The art work deserves 5 stars by itself, and is admittedly what attracted me to the album in the first place (so, maybe you can sometimes judge a book by the proverbial cover).

The album is of such high quality, that I doubt that JW can top it. Or maybe he can - This guy is definitely an artist you might want to keep your ears on.

flippin tremendous.

Spirit Of Eden
Spirit Of Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars surely music doesn't comes as perfect as this?, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Spirit Of Eden (Audio CD)
The whole album merges into one brilliantly affecting piece of art. There are dynamics aplenty; the music seems to base itself on silence, and almost structures itself organically atop this silence in a way that i have only ever heard before in the works of Brian Eno. When the melodies do come together to form a 'hook', or chorus, they are absultely bursting with emotion and energy - and above all so catchy that you would have to have amnaesia not to have them lodged in your head forever after one listen.

I am terrible at reviews, as you have no doubt gathered, but i really feel i ought to express my gratitute to Talk Talk for creating this masterpeice. All that i can really say is that this album is a must have for anybody who genuinely loves music that takes you on a journey.

Many customers rave about 'similar' Talk Talk albums, but to me, they do not even come close.

This is sure to be one of your desert island disks

Coracle
Coracle

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Blissed-Out Downtempo, 23 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Coracle (Audio CD)
I will keep this nice and concise as I am a bit lazy.

This is some really nice, blissed-out down-tempo. Musically very similar to some of the Chemical Brothers stuff with the psychedelic overtones. Also hads a slightly post-rock feel to some of the tracks, a-la Hammock (e.g 'Ecstatic Truth').

The highlight of the album is by far 'Raw Umber/Twilight', with it's blissedful, uplifting sound; staqrting off like a Pantha Du Prince track, before letting go into an ocean of bliss a-la M83, perhaps.

So, to summarize: buy this record if you like experimental, blissed out electronica music from the likes of Hammock, Chemical Brothers, Pantha Du Prince, Tycho, Ulrich Schnauss and M83

I can't see myself going professional anytime soon with reviews like these.

Happy Listening.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2012 9:21 PM GMT

Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti
Total Freedom: The Essential Krishnamurti
by J. Krishnamurti

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts straight through imitation and worship and gets right to the heart of pure meditation. Wonderful book., 14 Dec. 2012
really inspires you to put aside everything you thought about spirituality, reality or whatever you seek, and urges you instead to simply observe your own mind in the moment, without any plan or agenda. Krishnamurti cuts through much of the insense found in some religions, and gets right to the serious business of the direct apprehansion of experience. He says that you don't need to travel to India, or sit cross legged on a mat; you simply need to observe yourself, moment to moment, in all of your thoughts and actions in the world, in solitude and in relationship with others. This approach cuts down on all the energy wasted on trying to be something you're not, and instead invites you to to simply observe who you are.

I started practicing Buddhism a year ago, and have genuinely found that this book has totally made me question Buddhism as an organised religion - something the Buddha himself would have insisted of his disciples. Of course, at the time of the Buddha, there was no such thing as 'Buddhism', only the Buddha himself.

Anyway, nn the end, I was left alone with my own mind and the wonderful potential to observe and Inquire. By doing this, a lot of insecurites are revealed to myself, and the patterns of thinking and acting that help to keep them in place are slowly deprived of their power. Since reading this book, I have found that I have become happier and more authentic in my presonal life. I think that this book has the potential to touch many people on any 'spiritual path' - providing it is read with an open mind.

I still draw a lot of inspiration from Buddhism - indeed, there is a lot of overlap between the Dharma and the teachings of Krishnamurti - but I no longer look to Buddhism as an authority to imitate.

I would also recommend Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoches 'The Sacred Path of the Warrior' - also available on Amazon.

Peace and Happiness.

Danza IV: The Alpha - The Omega
Danza IV: The Alpha - The Omega

5.0 out of 5 stars They just get better and better., 14 Dec. 2012
Extrememly brutal progressive death metal. Will appeal to fans of Meshuggah. I am a fan of Meshuggah, but by comparison they look a bit monotonous and predictable next to Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza.

I'd say that Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza can best be described as a kind of cross between Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan. The supremely heavy eight string grooves are there, with the vicious unpredictability of Dillinger Escape plan thrown in for good measure. The vocals are like Corey Taylor from Slipknot at his angriest - times by about 10.

I can't believe I am the first person on Amazon UK to review this album. It is sheer genius.

Music surely cant get any angrier, crazier and heavier than this. surely we will have to wait for DANZA 5 for anything close.

Buy this album. It is a milestone in extreme, balls out heavy metal quite unlike anything else.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2012 12:59 AM GMT

Nevermind
Nevermind
Offered by Bridge_Records

1.0 out of 5 stars Biggest Scandal in Rock History, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I would avoid this band in general, and this album in particular. They are just Metallica Rip offs. And the cover is highly suspect.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2014 11:54 PM GMT

Further
Further

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemical Brothers go FAR OUT, 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Further (Audio CD)
i was pleasantly surprised by this album. The songs are longer than usual; they remind me a lot of the kind of song structures used by prog rock bands of the 70's.

The whole album is a euphoric rush, that builds and climaxes over and over again.

Very eclectic, with some shoe-gaze, acid house, break beat, ambient drone - It's a real aural treat.

I listened to this for the first time in the gym, and i totally killed the treadmill.

Dive
Dive

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves much kudos, 16 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Dive (Audio CD)
There are not many reviews for this album, and I feel the overall rating does not do much justice to the quality of this recording.

The music is very similar to Boards of canada, but has a more euphoric / uplifting feel.

I would strongly recommend to fans of Boards of Canada and Ulrich Schnauss.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5