8 of 10 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars
What a pain, 12 Sep 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game caused me a significant headache to install and actually get to run.
1) Requires DirectX9 even for people with DirectX10 already installed - hello EA games, Vista has been out some time now. The game should work with version 10 even if you dont use the fancy new features. The Dx9 installer is simply launched by the installer with no hint to the fact you may still need it even if you have a better version.
2) Popular AV vendors have no signature for the game, many people will have the game automatically banned from the internet leading to the next item...
3) Mandatory internet access, OK the sharing is cool, but I should be able to play Spore on my laptop anywhere, not just when I am at home on the internet. The level of access required beyond reason.
4) This game appears to be designed to be hard to install and run by design and not due to faulty code.
5) Low level DRM, limited re-installs - EA obviously have access to more reliable gear than the public. OK fine register over the internet, get a hardware signature, give me a key, leave me alone. Your terms are draconian, unproductive, and dubiously legal in a number of countries, and are certainly not customer friendly.
If you are technical and brave enough to get it to actually run, the game itself is actually very good.