Profile for Mr. J. Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Smith

Mr. J. Smith

The Sea of Memories (Deluxe)
The Sea of Memories (Deluxe)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gavin Rossdale has found his groove again., 28 May 2013
Bush have been around for some time now on and off. This is a great record which echoes their most recent stuff, not the grungey sound of the earlier albums but still unmistakeably Bush in their sound. Rossdale provides excellent vocals and the rest of the band give this a nice heavy vibe. The album starts off strongly with some very memorable tracks but it does lose itself after the 5th or 6th song; they start to sound samey and there isn't much to distinguish between each track. Still, it's worth a listen, stand out tracks include 'The Sound of Winter' and 'The Mirror of the Signs'.

Invisible Stars
Invisible Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, happy surfer rock., 28 May 2013
This review is from: Invisible Stars (MP3 Download)
I've followed Everclear for years and watched them change and grow from angry, angsty post grunge punks to the more mellow, happier offerings of Invisible Stars. This album is a progression of their recent form, but is the first since the departure of the two other main members apart from Art Alexakis. It still has their vibe and the rest of the band seem to have slotted in well around Alexakis and this is the result; a great sounding album following in the Everclear tradition.

Love Lust Faith + Dreams (Explicit Version) [Explicit]
Love Lust Faith + Dreams (Explicit Version) [Explicit]

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent album, not their best though, 28 May 2013
I've listened to this album a few times now and I love the opening of it. The first few tracks are great but the middle of the album gets a bit lost and it seems like the band don't really know where they want to head. I think that as a follow up to This Is War, this was always going to be a difficult album, after all TIW was outstanding, but as a stand alone it's decent. If I'd heard this album as a first offering, I don't think I'd still be following them today. Still, can't wait to see them at download, I guess that will be a case of showing what they are really made of in front of a rock and metal crowd!

Microsoft Licensed Tritton Warhead 7.1 Wireless Headset (Xbox 360)
Microsoft Licensed Tritton Warhead 7.1 Wireless Headset (Xbox 360)
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, great build quality, 5 Jan. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've been looking at replacing my old Turtle Beach X3s for a while and have tried a few different headsets in my search. I'm not very impressed with the build quality of newer TB headsets and the customer focus of Turtle Beach is poor (they claimed that interference on a pair of X41s I had was not their problem) so I wanted to try a different manufacturer. Conversely, when I had problems with a pair of steelseries 7xbs, they were excellent in trying to resolve it.
After much research and debating the cost, I thought I'd try the Tritton Warheads and they are excellent. The sound quality is second to none, it sounds as if I'm in a cinema at times and the build quality is fantastic. They have a battery charger in the base for a spare battery (provided) and there is no interference at all; the range is also excellent - I have the base inside a cupboard with the door closed when I'm using them and I can walk around my house and still hear everything.
Chat is great and my firends say the quality of my voice is good as well and they are truly wireless - no chat cable as they sync directly to the xbox. I can also see how much battery my headset has left using the xbox guide button.

Lots of people complain that they are tight: I have a big head and they were tight at first but this has eased off as I've used them.

Overall I am really happy that I bought these, I can't find any fault with them other than the price. £200 is a lot of money to pay, although if I et as much use out of them as my TB x3s, they will be worth the money in the end.Microsoft Licensed Tritton Warhead 7.1 Wireless Headset (Xbox 360)

Steelseries Spectrum 7XB Wireless Headset (Xbox 360)
Steelseries Spectrum 7XB Wireless Headset (Xbox 360)
Offered by Trusted-Goods

3.0 out of 5 stars These are good but they have flaws, 28 April 2012
I bought the 7xbs to replace an old pair of turtle beach headphones. I'd previously tried the x41s but there were interference issues, so i opted for the steelseries. The build of the headset was good, if a little clunky. What was impressive was the sound quality, very rich and I could easily switch between different settings to get different sounds. I did suffer the crackling or popping noise that other reviews have mentioned, but it was infrequent and lasted for seconds; I realised that this was interference from my wifi and the cracklewas the headset transmitter changing to another, clearer channel which is a good idea and design feature.
The headset was perfect except for two things: 1) You can't hear your own voice when chatting, this meant I shouted more!
2) The microphone picked up the voices of my friends on XBL even at low volumes which meant they could hear their own voices in a feed back loop.
I did contact steelseries about this and they were great but ultimately they couldn't say it wasn't going to be an issue with a new headset so, unfortunately, I returned the original set for a refund.

Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)
Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly designed headphones, 10 Mar. 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought these x41s to replace my x3s, which were brilliant. When I got them and tried them out the sound quality was great and like I wasn't wearing headphones, so far so good.

Unfortunately, I experienced what many others have - bad interference. This cannot be avoided in my house because of my wireless network and it seems ridiculous that Turtle Beach didn't consider this. Their own advice is to turn off wireless devices or to plug in a set of headphones into the transmitter: the xbox is a wireless device and why would I buy a wireless headset if I wanted cables trailing around my living room? Plus, I can get wired headphones for about £70 less!

Thankfully Amazon were amazing and offered me a refund. Will I buy Turtle Beach again? Probably not, especially as they were unwilling to accept any blame.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 10:40 AM GMT