Profile for Thelomi > Reviews

Thelomi "thelomi"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Back To Oblivion
Back To Oblivion

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not going to run through song by song but the album is pretty strong throughout my only slight downers being with the ..., 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Back To Oblivion (Audio CD)
Well it took quite few listens to appreciate it but I put in the groundwork and ultimately it was well worth it.

First impressions were that the first three tracks rocked and then it lost momentum and it all just went a bit mediocre. The major problem seemed to be that there really just wasn't enough oompf! The recording levels, at least through my mp3 player, were just too weak, taking an edge even off the opening 3 tracks.

But this is Finch we are talking about, surely there must be something more to it. They took a gamble on 'Say Hello to Sunshine,' the fan base wobbled, but those who hung on to it and gave it a chance found what ultimately turned out to be classic album number two for them.

My solution here was put down the mps 3 player and put the cd in the cd player, crank up the volume and listen to it as was intended....and of course I have now discovered another gem.

Whilst not as dark as the 'Say Hello....' it still holds on to some of the elements of that album, particularly the melodic vocal styling. It is however much more straightforward in it's arrangements.

I'm not going to run through song by song but the album is pretty strong throughout my only slight downers being with the repetitive Picasso Trigger and the potentially wet Inferium although both tracks have their moments.

If you still have any doubts on several repeat listens throw it on shuffle with the other two albums, it really does sit well with them.

Conduit
Conduit

5.0 out of 5 stars A debut for the next big band......, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Conduit (Audio CD)
This will no doubt be sacrilege but 'Casually Dressed..' sat on my shelf for years without so much as a dusting off. I appreciated the scene at the time but just didn't get this band for some reason.

Ten-ish years later I thought, these guys are still going, there must be something to them and with the help of a Classic Rock mag review bought 'Welcome Home Armageddon.' Excellent album and grown on me over the last couple of years so Conduit was a no brainer.

What a cracking album. Short, sweet, no-nonsense and with a real punk feel to it. The melody is still there but it doesn't overbear the raw and punky vibe. The whole album has the feel of a debut, it's fresh, enthusiastic, pacey, and does not sound like a band hindered by expectations.

As a result 'Casually Dressed....' has been dusted and the back catalogue bought. If you are not sure where to start with your FFAF journey, start here and work back. It's one of the best mid career revivers I've ever heard.

Pearl Jam -Under Review [DVD] [2010]
Pearl Jam -Under Review [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Pearl Jam

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new., 9 Sept. 2011
It's pretty clear from the outset that this is a low budget and unauthorised release. The interviewees are clearly knowledgeable but you get the impression that, with the exception of the assistant producer for Ten, they are very much outsiders looking in and this is a compilation of opinions not definitive knowledge.

It is, however, easy to watch and gives a nutshell summary of the origins and early history of the band and their 'percieved' motivations. It is not something a PJ fan will not already know but it is still interesting and the reasons why we worship at the alter of PJ are well verbalised.

The PJ live footage is fairly poor quality and most PJ fans will already have the same footage and better quality on previous official live release DVD's. In fact I think they are excerpts from those official release video's. There are a couple of snippets of very early interviews (one with Andrew Wood) and some poor quality videos at the time of Mother Love Bone.

A lot of the concert footage used to support the dialogue on the years to Vitalogy are of subsequent years. Spot the Binaural logo's in the audience during the Vs section and Matt Cameron on drums during the Vitalogy dialogue. Apart from the MTV footage there are only a couple of poor quality early years snippets.

The general background music is also not PJ, just soundalike riffs and ditties. Clearly they were not allowed to use any actual PJ tracks and this takes some more polish off it.

The detailed reviews really end at No Code and the latter releases are skimmed over which is a missed opportunity. As I have said the analysis of first four albums is well verbalised and, that being the video's strong point, it was a missed opportunity.

There is an interesting interview extra with Eddie Vedder and Matt Cameron. The interviewer struggles actually putting together a sensible question, but because the questions are so vague the PJ guys are fairly full in their responses covering what the interviewer was probably trying to ask and more.

Although I'd recommend avoiding this and waiting for PJ20 to come out I would have to say that, despite the flaws, I was not too offended or disappointed with this release, thus the three stars rather than two.

Time-Saving Training for Multisport Athletes: How to Fit Workouts into Work Days
by Rick Niles

5.0 out of 5 stars Triathlon Training Gem, 5 Sept. 2011
What a fantastic book!

This is triathlon training in a nutshell and plainly spoken.

In essence the book identifies how to get the most out of limited training hours. Although this can apply to those of us with a day job and/or family responsibilities the principles should really apply to all in getting the best out of our sessions. Why spend 2 hours on the bike on the road when a disciplined one hour session can do the same job....and it does not have to kill you.

Similar to it's less is more attitude towards training it is written in a similar manner.

The science side of Triathlon is interesting but some books provide so much detail it's too hard to feel any confidence that what you are doing is right. Am I doing enough training? Is my training at the right level in effort, intensity, heart rate or VO2?

Although this book touches on the science this is merely in passing before explaining practically how to commit to training and how to set your targets. It also gives a laymans guide to establishing your heart rate, VO2 and effort levels enabling you to set your sessions. Yes there is a precise science to identifying these levels but not many of us have the facility to establish it....and unless we are elite athletes we don't need to be too precise.

The book has a very clear set of training plans and even sets out programmes with a bike, run, swim or balanced focus depending on which discipline you particularly want to improve on.

I've got the Joe Friel triathlon bible which is great when I need the science and detail and that will no doubt deliver knowledge and results over time. Time Saving Training, however, is far easier to navigate swiftly and is a fantastic day to day reference book.

Unfortunately, not having the words triathlon or triathlete in the title, it does not come up as an option when entering either of those word into an internet or general book search. As a result triathlete's are generally likely to miss out on this gem. Spread the word.

Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of potential battery issues, 1 Sept. 2011
The functions on this watch are fantastic and have helped improve my running no end. I'll leave the detail to other reviews. I have no qualms with what this watch does.

The only point I would make, and the reason that this is a three rather than five star review, is that it seems that buying these watches is a little bit of a gamble. From the majority of reviews it would seem that most work perfectly, unfortunately I ended up with a dud.

My problem was the power. It's generally accepted that it's best to have these devices fully charged before you go out, whatever the distance you are aiming for. However when fully charged you would expect that energy to take you a decent distance. My watch was perfect for 6 months and even took me round my first Marathon.

Unfortunately beyond this period the battery began to fail in holding the power and from fully charged at the outset began sending out `Battery Low' warnings after 1hr 15mins and failing 15 mins later.

I was lucky that this happened within the warranty period and that I'd bought it through Amazon who operate a simple and fair returns policy.

So in summary feel comfortable that this watch delivers fantastic functions but keep a careful eye on its power retention.

What would be ideal is a review from an owner who has had this watch for in excess of a year without battery issues. Anyone?

White Silence
White Silence

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully a stepping stone., 29 July 2011
This review is from: White Silence (Audio CD)
I short, despite more screaming and a thrashier, punkier guitar it seems to lack the punch of Antenna and Perfect Pitch Black. In fact I thought the screamy vocals on those two albums packed more punch because of the contrast with the strong standard vocal.

Immediate impression was a definate thumbs down to the production. Mind you listen to it enough times and that becomes less of an issue.

I suppose what is really missing here for me is the progressive nature for the music and originality. It's all pretty straight forward and when they take the foot of the gas towards the end of the album, just a bit dull.

Having said that, even if straight forward the songs do grow on you and deliver enough fire to keep you switched on, at least until the last three tracks.

I'm a big fan of Cave In so i really hope this is a stepping stone to the next classic.

Taking Back Sunday
Taking Back Sunday

4.0 out of 5 stars Shorter Now, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Taking Back Sunday (Audio CD)
If you liked Louder Now and New Again you will like this.

If you are an older school fan looking for a return to Tell All Your Friends and Where You Want To Be your wish won't be granted.

Having said that WYWTB was my favorite album but i'm glad they have not repeated it. I bet they couldn't, that's usually why albums like that are special.

Instead TBS have since progressed and condensed their trademark style into shorter more immediate format.

To distinguish this album from the last two I'd probably say there's more to it than initially meets the ear, it's lively, catchy and the singer is clearly at the top of his vocal game. In fact that last point is probably the most noticable...the vocals are really exposed in the mix and the songs are all the better for it.

Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
by Danny Dreyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Running made easy., 25 Mar. 2011
Still not it touch with my Chi (perhaps I should take my headphones off or put some whale music on) but even the physical tips on how to improve my running techniques have knocked a remarkable amount of time off and leave me feeling like I can run again the next day.

Will be coming back to this book regularly as a reference point, and until I finally locate some Chi, so well worth the investment.

Sons Of The North
Sons Of The North

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 25 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Sons Of The North (Audio CD)
Best debut since Appetite for Destruction? In short you have heard this all before, it's plastic attitude sleaze rock by numbers but the songs, ulitimately, are just average. I'm not against gibberish lyrics, it's just some bands can string a whole load of unrelated sentences together and make it sound like they mean something, this lot can't.

Gun's N Roses swore because that's all they knew. When these guys throw an expletive in you just get that feeling it's because they think they have to.

I bought this on the back of the last song which I picked up on a compilation cd. It was nothing original, just fun and high energy. The rest of the album does not live up to it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 9:58 AM BST

Saturday
Saturday
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars ?, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Saturday (Audio CD)
I'm not sure why all of a sudden the music press, at least the press I have read, seem to be suggesting this is a return to form....some even saying since Mosley Shoals.

Although i've not heard the previous two albums i thought OCS were doing pretty well all the way up to and including Mechanical Wonder despite a distinct lack of press support.

This album whilst having some good tunes and melodies just strikes me as being limp and wishy washy.

Why the press seem to have woken up to this one is anyones guess. I can't even see it as being represenatative of their greater body of work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2011 8:40 PM GMT