Profile for wren > Reviews

Content by wren

wren

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another intriguing assignment fo JT, 5 Oct. 2012
I loved Steve Robinson's first book 'In the Blood', but the second one is even better.

Jefferson Tayte sets out to find his client's birth mother. He has her name, Philomena Lasseter, and an address. He sets off for England thinking his task should be easy. Nothing could be further from the truth. It would appear that Mena, as she is referred to, disappeared off the face of the earth at the end of 1944.

This book is very much Mena's story. When we first meet her she is sixteen years old and on the brink of womanhood with her life ahead of her. She is sweet, innocent and naive. It is
Christmas day 1943 and Steve Robinson writes so evocatively that I was there, as if the Lasseter family had invited me to spend Christmas day with them.

The likable Jefferson Tayte runs up against brick wall after brick wall as he tries to solve the mystery of Mena. What finally emerges is a tale of bigotry, misunderstanding and tradgedy.

This is more than a mere crime mystery. It is a poignant and heart felt tale, beautifully told. I can only urge you to read it. More Jefferson Tayte please Mr Robinson.

In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)
In the Blood: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #1 (Jefferson Tayte)

4.0 out of 5 stars A most unlikely hero., 3 Oct. 2012
He's overweight, he's scared of flying and approaching middle age. A Genealogist by trade, he takes pride in his work but still hasn't managed to track down his own family. Jefferson Tayte is an immensely likable character but a most unlikely hero. It's his overwhelming need to know that keeps him doggedly searching in spite of some hair raising encounters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it whole heartedly. Steve Robinson has taken two stories, set over two hundred years apart and interwoven them seemlessly. The fate of the modern day characters is very much at the mercy of what Tayte can uncover about the historical ones. There is a sense of urgency throughout the story. Firstly Tayte has been given a very strict deadline, by his employer, to finish the assignment but more sinister and urgent deadlines unfold with the plot.

The final unravelling is both tragic and unexpected. A great read, I've already downloaded the second book in the series and will look forward to future adventures with Jefferson Tayte.

Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace series Book 7)
Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace series Book 7)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good 20 pence worth., 24 Sept. 2012
For 20 pence this was a good read so I'm not going to moan too much about it. However, I do have to agree with previous reviewers. I found it too long and very plodding in places, there was just too much information at times. The 'baddie' was a bit cliched, I rather like my villains to be a bit more fascinating. Just because they're evil, they don't have to be boring.
Sorry, I said I wasn't going to moan too much. This is excellent value for the money (at the moment) so download it while it's cheap. Peter James is, on the whole, a good writer

Sister
Sister

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written and moving story, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Sister (Kindle Edition)
I was looking for something different in the crime/mystery/thriller genre. The title of this book appealed to me at first, having an older sister myself. I then started to read the preview chapters and was completely drawn in. I downloaded the book onto my kindle immediately as I wanted to continue to read this intriguing story. I didn't exactly finish it in one sitting but it was pretty close.

I'm not going to say what the story is about because other people have already done that. What I will say is that I found it deeply affecting and moving. It's one of those stories that will stay with me for a long time and will make me question what it is to be a sister, mother and daughter.

If you are looking for a fast paced, conventional, police procedural or thriller, then 'Sister' might not be what you are looking for. If you are looking for a beautifully written thought provoking and intriguing story, then I can thoroughly recommend this book.

Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1)
Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1)
by Harlan Coben

3.0 out of 5 stars Myron Bolitar for a younger generation., 14 July 2012
Like many of the previous reviewers, I didn't realise this was a book for young adults/teenagers. Having bought it however, I decided to read it anyway as I'm a big fan of Harlan Coben.

Being aimed at a younger audience, this book does not pack the same punch as the Myron Bolitar series, having said that I found it an ejoyable read.

Mickey dislikes and resents his uncle Myron but is very much in the same mold. He's tall, a good basket ball player and shuns the conventional. He chooses to hang out at school with the misfits and outsiders and stands up for them against the bullies.
He's very loyal to his closest friends Ema, an overweight tattooed goth girl, with a great line in 'put downs' and Spoon, a 'geeky' boy who is full of useless information, that turns out to be extremely useful at times. I enjoyed both of these characters immensley. They are later joined by the beautiful Rachel, the archetypal cheerleader, who proves her worth before the end of the book.

If you buy this book expecting the very grown up Myron, you will probably be disappointed. However, Harlan Coben is a good writer and as such he has come up with a group of new characters who are very likeable.

Genuine Flymo Strimmer Double Autofeed & Line FLY021
Genuine Flymo Strimmer Double Autofeed & Line FLY021
Offered by L.M Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, 22 Jun. 2012
I scoured the town where I live to try to get a replacement Autofeed for my strimmer. Even a shop the size of B&Q didn't have any. So I did the sensible thing, I logged on to Amazon and ordered one. It was with me in a couple of days. Enough said I think.

The Life of Birds [DVD] [1998]
The Life of Birds [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough
Offered by Atronica

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, 11 Jun. 2012
From the mechanics of flight to eccentric courting rituals. From survival tactics to problem solving. If you think birds just hang about in trees and twitter, watch this series of brilliant documentaries, it will change your perception of these wonderful creatures.

A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak Mysteries)
A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak Mysteries)
by Dana Stabenow
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars It's fantastic and it's free, 11 Jun. 2012
I downloaded this book, shortly after buying a kindle, because it was free. I will admit that I wasn't expecting anything special. How wrong I was. From the very first page to the last, this is an engaging read. The investigation, although intriguing, almost takes second place to the awesome setting and at times, tragic plight, of the native Alaskan population.

The heroine, Kate is of the Aleut people and we experience this vast, beautiful and at times, forbidding landscape through her eyes. When we first meet her, she comes across as surly and uncommunicative but we learn she has good reason to be. She has been traumatised by a case she worked on some months before.

However, its not all bleak Alaskan winter, there is a great deal of humour as well.

The other characters are as varied as they are fascinating. From Kate's extended family to the 'Outsiders', they all come to life on the page. Some rather larger than life.

I was so enthralled by this book that I read it in one sitting and can't wait to read the next one.

Siddhartha
Siddhartha
by Hermann Hesse

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting story, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Siddhartha (Paperback)
A good friend of mine was aware that I was going through a bad time. She just said to me read this book. So I did. It's not a long book. it's a simple tale simply told. Having said that, it is the most beautiful and profound book that I have ever read. What more can I say apart from read it for yourself. If you have a heart, if you have a soul, you will not be disappointed.

The Lily Branch (DI Elizabeth Jewell series Book 1)
The Lily Branch (DI Elizabeth Jewell series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern 'who dunnit?', 15 April 2012
This book gets off to a cracking start. From the very beginning you are aware that all is not well. There's an air of brooding tension throughout the first chapter and by the second, you have a body.
Enter Elizabeth Jewell and Tony Patterson and we're straight into the investigation and an intriguing story.
Jewell's character unfolds with the plot. She's stubborn, headstrong and intuitive. As her frustration over the case grows, she starts to break the rules, leaving herself increasingly more vunerable. She also develops a strong empathy with the victim, Lily Jerome.
The book is fast paced and we're never bogged down with too much forensic jargon. The main characters are down to earth and believable. I particularly liked Superintendent Daly, Jewell's politicaly incorrect boss, who tries to rein Jewell in. There are sufficient twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. To me this book reads like an updated take on the traditional 'who dunnit?'. Straightforward, easy to read and keeps you turning the pages.
There are one or two issues with the formatting which need to be addressed and a few typing errors which are a bit annoying but on the whole they don't really detract from the story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3