Profile for T. Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bing & Satchmo (180g) [VINYL]
Bing & Satchmo (180g) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album - vinyl version, 13 Aug. 2013
I remember my dad having this album on vinyl and enjoying listening to it on repeated plays. It is a sublime and essential combination of the talents of the two vocalists, the arrangements of Billy May and the lyrical savvy of Johnny Mercer. When it was reissued on CD recently I happily bought it and now that the album has been remastered for vinyl release I've got that too. Having compared the old record - which I still have - with the new version it is interesting to note the contrasting sound quality. The new vinyl is louder and crisper but lacks some of the analogue warmth of the original pressing and has a certain harshness in consequence. This doesn't mean that it isn't worth buying and I accept that it's unrealistic to expect a digital remaster to retain all the breadth of signal that older pressings exhibit. 4/5 reflects a minor disappointment on the technical side, definitely not on the content which cannot be bettered.

Stack-A-Tracks
Stack-A-Tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stack-A-Delights, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Stack-A-Tracks (Audio CD)
Just spent an afternoon playing this again and again. You get two cds, one for each album. They don't include any pre-track counts or studio chatter, neither do the tracks run on beyond what you're used to from knowing the respective albums. Should you buy it? I debated that and I'm so happy that I did. Obviously you'll need to be familiar with the "sung" versions but there's so much to enjoy. Instrumental parts that weren't apparent in the final mixes, lovely dynamics that again go missing when vocals are overlaid. You also get the occasional background vocal that was - I'm presuming - bounced down to the master backing tracks. The liner notes state that these are straight transfers from those 1/4 inch masters "left untouched for decades". There's no re-mastering here and although I'd love to hear all the Jellyfish stuff remastered it isn't an issue with these cds. If you're a musician you'll appreciate the attention to detail in the arrangements - and the tight playing - and if you aren't you'll marvel at how much is going on. Whoever you are, as long as you're a Jellyfish fan (and even if you aren't) you should really buy this!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 7:02 PM GMT

Live at Bogart's 1991
Live at Bogart's 1991

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd Been There!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Live at Bogart's 1991 (Audio CD)
Oh man! As a long-time lover of the music of Jellyfish - I'm one of the crowd that nods along when anyone writes about how they should have been huge etc - I ordered this as soon as I realised it existed. It is superb. It is wonderful. They are incredible. The recording let's you feel that you're there with the intimate between-song crowd and room ambience. I love the way the band links the songs and on occasion runs from one straight into another. The musicianship is excellent and the recording to me lacks nothing for there only being the four of them playing. I Wanna Stay Home stands out, possibly because it could so easily (in lesser hands) have sounded relatively lightweight next to the more rock-out numbers. It doesn't, it sounds sublime, and left me with tears in my eyes. I realise that I'm not saying anything that hasn't been laid out in other reviews but I just wanted to reiterate what everyone thinks... Jellyfish, the best band in the world - every box ticked, every appetite sated. Brilliant!

Greatest Hits (180g Vinyl/Ltd. Ed) [VINYL]
Greatest Hits (180g Vinyl/Ltd. Ed) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy vinyl bliss, 22 May 2013
I bought this album as a direct result of the reviews posted, so thanks for the info. It sounds superb. The songs are so familiar but it's truly special to hear them from that most keen and magical interaction of needle to groove. Also - as stated elsewhere - the version of "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" is the best but rarely used one. It's got the faint almost mumbled "Oh Girl" ad libs in the instrumental section and other great bits of captured vocal overdub background when, if you listen carefully, you can hear them preparing the harmony note they're about to sing. Weird cover, great product.

O Gospel, Where Art Thou?
O Gospel, Where Art Thou?

5.0 out of 5 stars Stumbled upon a Classic, 22 May 2013
This album consists of "field recordings" made between 1949 and 1952. The sound is raw and you can tell from the ambience that the recordings weren't made in a studio. It's very listenable and certainly not so flat and grainy that you can't play and enjoy it on a decent system. The performances are shot through with utter spiritual conviction - on the verge of becoming overwhelmed with the sheer righteousness of it all. I absolutely love it. On occasion the main voice will reach saturation point but again I can live with that as the "whole" is truly greater than the parts. It does indeed sound like it might be the soundtrack album to a film the Coen Brothers didn't quite get around to making. I found my copy in a thrift store in the US - the 79 cents plus tax I spent was an investment that brought dividends bordering on the dot.com bubble scale.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World [Blu-ray] [1963] [US Import]
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World [Blu-ray] [1963] [US Import]
Offered by Moref Designs

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is., 19 May 2013
How great - a US import that plays on my UK blu-ray. The image is sharp, albeit it noticeably enhanced if you look carefully. That's not a problem given the age of this film. I'm becoming a big fan of older blu-ray transfers. They reveal so much more and give your tv an almost time-machine like quality as you see long-gone cars and other period artifacts appearing in pristine condition.

It's a pretty good film, but you have to watch it in the spirit that it was clearly made. The humour is a little indulgent at times and, like pretty much all comedy, it struggles to travel beyond its own era. Even as a child I remember thinking that Spencer Tracy seemed to be acting with one foot in the picture and one foot out, exhibiting an almost Brechtian detachment.

As other reviewers have noted, the film connects with all those who saw it as younger versions of themselves. I can't help but smile with affection when I put it on.

For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema [DVD]
For All Mankind [Masters of Cinema [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars What a trip, 19 May 2013
This is wonderfully put together. The quality of the blu-ray edition lets you feel the proximity of all the history recorded by these amazing, brave adventurers. It's an essential purchase for anyone who has an interest in those great Apollo missions. The central conceit of amalgamating the footage from the missions into a single journey worked well for me - far better than I suspected it might. What a brilliant idea to give the astronauts cameras to capture whatever they felt like recording - when their work schedule allowed them the opportunity to. A bit of artistic licence amid a vast technological undertaking.

Forever Endeavour
Forever Endeavour

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for another Ron Sexsmith album, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Forever Endeavour (Audio CD)
All hail the exclusive club of top-drawer songwriters. Ron Sexsmith is a long-standing member. He sits there, rubbing shoulders with the greats. You get the impression that, as he wakes up each day, his sleepy arm reaches out for a convenient guitar and, almost before his feet touch the floor, he's composed another song you're going to fall in love with.

Nanobots
Nanobots

5.0 out of 5 stars They can't help but be good!, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Nanobots (Audio CD)
There's no doubt that they ARE giants. Supremely high standards of beguiling melody and sharply wry lyrics are, once again, presented to we eager fans. You have to remind yourself that songwriting this good is rare, such is their consummate artistry. My only gripe is that they don't do a decent-sized tour of the UK so that we can hear them live.

SIMPLY STREISAND
SIMPLY STREISAND

5.0 out of 5 stars An Artist At The Top Of Her Game, 22 April 2013
This review is from: SIMPLY STREISAND (Audio CD)
This album is essential. To anyone who loves to hear superb songs interpreted with character and great sensitivity for the melody and the lyric this MUST be heard. Words are not going to do this album justice, listen to a fragment of All The Things You Are and you will understand what I'm trying to say. listen to it all and you'll be a pool of emotionally satiated mush in whatever room or space you happened to press "play". Do it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3