Profile for M. Young > Reviews

Content by M. Young

M. Young (Brum, UK)

LG 42LD490 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD Internet TV with built in Freeview HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a few minor problems, 6 Jun 2011
Let me start off by saying that I have sent one of these devices back and received a replacement. The first unit I was delivered had backlight bleed on the right side of the screen. This was very noticeable when watching dark scenes or fast moving scenes. I sent this back using the automated returns system and received a replacement 2 days later. This unit was much better and I am very happy with it. A+++ to amazon for very fast replacement unit.

The TV itself is very good and I would recommend it. For the cost it offers 1080p, 42" and Freeview HD decoder built in which I think is excellent. Controls are easy to use and on screen tv guide etc is very clear. The netcast feature is quite helpful especially for iPlayer, I have found myself using this over my Boxee Box for iPlayer due to ease of access. Picture quality could be a bit better, there are alot (and I mean alot) of picture customisation options. My old TV was a 32" Samsung LCD and that TV felt like whatever you put on it the picture was fine, I don't think I ever changed the settings. On this LG sometimes contrast can be noticeably high (like on ITV news broadcasts where this is very noticeable) but changing between custom settings (of which there are 7) is very easy using the Q.menu (quick menu) so it's not that bad.

There are a couple of minor niggles, they are very minor however; My TV doesn't sit vertically, it tilts slightly backwards which is abit weird and noticeable when viewing from the side. No pre channel button like I had on my old Samsung, there's plenty of other controls but I miss this basic feature.

All in all I think this TV is excellent and for the money there isn't really anything that can match it. If you are coming from a 32" or smaller you'll wonder how you watched anything on such a small screen after purchasing this!

A Tale Of Two Sisters [DVD] [2004]
A Tale Of Two Sisters [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Kap-su Kim

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs several viewings, 13 April 2006
First I must point out that I found A Tale of Two Sisters to be a very moving and involved phycological thriller. The fact that others compare this movie with the likes of The Ring and The Grudge etc etc is quite worrying as watching this film with the expectation of jumping out of your seat with fear every few minutes will leave you disappointed. I have no idea, other than the possibibility of riding on the back of international publicity that The Ring received, why the producers of this film would compare the two.

The story is complicated and clever, I would definitely recommend watching the film a few times after the first viewing just to spot how everything fits together and especially how the characters interact. The explanation on the DVD and various articles on the plot I have read online do not help you to understand the plot, rather confuse it more so, the simplest and most satisfying way is to concentrate and watch everything fall into place on the second or third viewing.

Maybe I'm exaggerating the complexity of the plot(now I think about it I am), but it's clear from other reviews and the reactions of people I have shown the film to that some people can't appreciate a film unless everything is made crystal clear at the end by a narrator.

Anyway, more about the film. It's a dark setting as far as films go and makes for tense moments throughout the film. Some may find the film abit slow and plodding but I would urge you to take solace in the plot which doesn't feel slow after you know what's going on and the excellent directing which is very artful and pleasing to the eye, especially the transistions between order and chaos that the director portrays so well.

In conclusion, a disturbing look into the human phyche with a brilliant plot but not for the action/gore generation. More an arty thriller that can be watched several times and doesn't tire easily, definitely a must see in my book, you can have the ring anyday, I'll take this.