Profile for LJR > Reviews

Concentration and Focus
Concentration and Focus
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short book on how to focus, 12 Sep 2013
If you have trouble focusing then this book is a must. Full of tips on how to become better at concentrating, it is ideal for anyone that needs to focus but has trouble doing so.

Social Media Marketing for Publishers
Social Media Marketing for Publishers
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, just wish it was proofread better, 5 July 2013
If I'd paid for this I may have been a little annoyed with the grammatical errors. As it was, the book, though short, contains very useful information for anyone starting out in social media. For a veteran like me it was a good refresher course.

Brown Dog
Brown Dog
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 5 July 2013
This review is from: Brown Dog (Kindle Edition)
This isn't the type of short story I would normally read but I'm glad I did. Was it too short as some suggest? As a writer myself, I think not. And the end was just right in my opinion. A well-written story from a promising writer.

Master Your Memory
Master Your Memory
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for anyone wishing to improve their memory, 3 July 2013
I've attended Gary’s seminar on improving your memory, and was one of those wondering when he’d come out with a book like this to supplement the course.

Having attended the course, I did find myself nodding along as I read each chapter. The book is broken down into manageable sections, each providing a different element of the course. It thoroughly explores the types of memories we have and looks at ways in which we can improve on a daily basis.

As someone who is currently learning Portuguese, I found the section on learning a language very useful but for anyone looking to improve their recall of any type of information, this should be required reading.

Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois
by George Lois
Price: 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaesome, 19 Jun 2013
Concise version of Whats the Big Idea?

Excellent to pocket book version with tips and ideas to get and keep your juices flowing.

Veeck : as in Wreck : the Autobiography of Bill Veeck: Fireside Sports Classics
Veeck : as in Wreck : the Autobiography of Bill Veeck: Fireside Sports Classics
by Bill Veeck

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 19 Jun 2013
I gave this a four because I was expecting more details of his marketing activities in baseball. However, it is a fine autobiography and if you know Veeck or have heard of him you should buy it.

What's the Big Idea?: How to Win With Outrageous Ideas (That Sell!)
What's the Big Idea?: How to Win With Outrageous Ideas (That Sell!)
by George Lois

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable account of a Mad AD Man, 19 Jun 2013
Right from the start, when Lois tells you that advertising should be like poison gas, you know this is going to be a no holds barred hit-you-between-the-eyes look at advertising. My copy was secondhand and was somewhat spoiled by the presence of writing and the dreaded highlighter pen, but even that didn't stop my enjoyment.

This book gives accounts of his most successful advertising campaigns and the reasons Lois thinks his ads were successful. He's not a fan of Ogilvy or Al Ries but if you are still buy this book. It's food for thought.

This is the guy who came up with the saying "if you got it flaunt it!"

This book flaunts it.

The Encyclopedia of Classic Mythology: The Authoritative Reference to Ancient Greek, Roman, Celtic and Norse Legend (Practical Handbook)
by Arthur Cotterell

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, colourful and fun, 16 Dec 2012
I was after a mythology book that was informative but with a layout that allowed me to glean what I wanted without reading from cover to cover. This fit the bill. It also has plenty of colour picture to back up the unique imagery of Nordic, Greek and Roman mythology. I'd recommend this book to anyone learning about mythology.

Slow Cooking Curries and Spicy Dishes (Slow Cooking) (Slow Cooking)
Slow Cooking Curries and Spicy Dishes (Slow Cooking) (Slow Cooking)
by Carolyn Humphries
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful book, looks self-published, 16 Dec 2012
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews and because I thought my sister could do with a cook cook of slow-cooker recipes.

When it first arrived something wasn't right. The package was so small.

OK, I thought, it's a cook book, not the Encyclopedia Britannica.

So I thumbed through it before wrapping it up.

If you want pictures then take a look at the front cover because that's the only place you get them.

OK, I thought, so it's got no pictures, but surely the recipes make up for that?

Unless you like slow cooking with avocado, raisins and other such things then like me you may be disappointed.

Granted, there are 3 or 4 recipes I could use. But as someone who has slow-cooked for years and has other cook-books, this is very disappointing. The other reviewers are obviously more easily pleased than me!

Save your money and buy a cook book with more recipes and more pictures.

The overall feel I had from this book is that it has uninspiring recipes and looks self-published.

Acer Aspire One 751, 11.6-Inch HD LED Netbook, Intel Atom Z520,1.22 GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB, Vista Home Basic, 9 Hours Battery Life, Webcam,Wifi (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What Its Supposed to, 23 July 2010
Having read a few of the negative comments i'm baffled. First off this is a netbook. It doesnt have the power of laptop. I have a laptop for stuff like dreamweaver and flash and I bought this to surf the net, play poker, to use MS Word and to watch a few movies. If thats what you want to do this is perfectly adequate. Those wanting to use graphic design software...what are you thinking? the processor isn't powerful enough for that, but netbooks arent meant to be for that. As for this one, i found it surfed the net fairly quickly. I did delete a few of the programs i didnt want, like google toolbar and a few others. The battery life is great and though i dont need 250gb its good to have to store the odd movie. All in all it does the basics very competently. I also bought because a 10" screen was too small. This size is great for viewing websites and writing on word. For me a good purchase.