Profile for Iain > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mrs 'ardin's Kid
Mrs 'ardin's Kid

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mike Harding album ever, 12 July 2016
This review is from: Mrs 'ardin's Kid (Vinyl)
My first and favourite Mike Harding album which I have on vinyl but am still looking for on CD. Mike was as funny as Billy Connolly back in the '70s.

Canon PowerShot SX700 HS Compact System Camera - Red (16.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom)
Canon PowerShot SX700 HS Compact System Camera - Red (16.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom)
Offered by TUFFskinz

4.0 out of 5 stars ... while and decided to go for this having heard good reports about it, 6 May 2016
I have been looking for a direct replacement for my aged Panasonic TZ3 for a while and decided to go for this having heard good reports about it. Obviously the images are nowhere near the quality that a CSC, DSLR or even a Premium Compact can produce but with a 30x lens sacrifices have to be made. Although some photos can have a bit of a waxy or plasticy look about them it can also produce wonderful sharp images as well.

LIKES - Metallic robust body
That 30x zoom lens
Compact size handy for carrying around at all times
Handgrip on front of body

DISLIKES - Those waxy looking photos it sometimes produces

Sandstrom DAB Clock Radio
Sandstrom DAB Clock Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars ... for £10 less than the advertised price as I loved the size of the screen compared to much more ..., 6 May 2016
Picked up one of these for £10 less than the advertised price as I loved the size of the screen compared to much more expensive clock radios with tiny displays.

PROS - Great sound and tone
Large display
Nice looking stylish radio
Detailed instruction booklet supplied
Display can be dimmed

CONS - Very awkward changing settings even when following instructions

I would have given this five stars but for the difficulty in changing settings. Have been looking for a quality clock radio with a large display screen for a while and this one fitted the bill. Sits nicely on a bedside table.

Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera (20.3 MP, 4.2x Zoom)
Canon PowerShot G7X Digital Camera (20.3 MP, 4.2x Zoom)
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocket DSLR, 2 Aug. 2015
An excellent high performance piece of equipment but not for the beginner. The best way to describe the camera would be to say that it is basically a pocket DSLR as the user has full control over aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings. The 1" sensor is larger than on cheaper superzoom compact cameras with the result that the image quality is much higher. Maximum aperture is a wonderful F1.8 through to F11, ISO goes from 125 to 12,800 with an auto option, shutter speed settings run from 250" to 1/2000 sec. I am still finding my way through the various menus and settings but the user manual which can be downloaded is excellent and very easy to follow.

My main reasons for choosing this particular camera are;
Very robust metal body with a nice weight, it is very comfortable in the hand though one criticism is the lack of a grip at the front of the body.
A large aperture which gives nice shallow DOF images.
Comprehensive user manual which is easy to follow, can be downloaded before committing to purchasing camera.
Excellent in low light conditions.
Price is less than other premium compacts with plastic bodies.

This is the first camera I have purchased for 8 years, my previous one being a Panasonic TZ3 which also had a metal body and which was rarely out of my hand when I was on holiday. Although the G7X is not quite as comfortable to hold and only has a 4.2x zoom it is so much superior in all other respects.

Further to my initial review I have just returned from an overseas holiday where I took lots of night time photos, hand held, and I am hugely impressed with the camera's image stabilisation qualities.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7inch Tablet - White (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great machine.......when it works., 10 May 2014
I have had the Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet for just over a week and am quite impressed by certain aspects of it.

Unfortunately I can only get a good wi-fi connection to it some of the time and I just keep getting infuriating messages such as "Web page not available" "Wi-fi connection required" and "No network found". I initially thought that there was a problem with my own router but I have now found that my partner's Kindle works perfectly well from the same connection.

I have checked the Settings application for the strength of signal and even when it shows there is a very strong signal I still have problems loading web pages. When the signal is said to be weak on the Galaxy the Kindle is still working perfectly well.

UPDATE
Before returning the tablet to Amazon I decided to try using it at my partner's house. Having discovered that it works perfectly well there I will no longer be returning it but will instead be changing my Internet Provider and getting a new router. I still cannot understand what the problem is but I can no longer say that the tablet is faulty. I have also upgraded the review from one star to four stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 9:39 PM BST

Battle of Britain [1969] [DVD]
Battle of Britain [1969] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harry Andrews
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars An observation, 23 Feb. 2013
Not a bad film overall but as someone who is not English I would like to express my thoughts about an observation I made inside the first ten minutes of the film.

We are immediately shown the arrogance of the German Ambassador when he states to the British Ambassador that Germany will be taking over Europe. However what slips by unnoticed by the majority of viewers no doubt is that both characters repeatedly refer to Great Britain and Northern Ireland as England. Does this not then make the British Ambassador equally as arrogant as his German counterpart when he assumes that all the Welsh, Northern Irish and Scots who laid down their lives are quite happy to be referred to as being English.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 8:24 PM GMT

V-fit ATC1 Air Cycle
V-fit ATC1 Air Cycle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: V-fit ATC1 Air Cycle (Sports)
I owned an air cycle from a different manufacturer almost 20 years ago and was disappointed to find that there are so few on the market now. In fact this is the only one which is not classed as a cross trainer that I have been able to find.

The attraction to me of this type of cycle is the cardiovascular exercise obtained with the moving handlebars and the luxury of being able to sit down at the same time.

Anyway, I would summarise the good and bad points of this cycle as follows.

GOOD POINTS

1) The machine is relatively lightweight,easy to move and doesn't take up too much space.

2) It was fairly easy to build up although a little patience is required especially when connecting the pedals, one of which screws on clockwise and the other anti clockwise.

3) It is very stable and quite comfortable to use though some users may prefer to have more padding on the saddle.

4) The handlebars can be set as fixed or moving, I personally prefer not to have the handlebars static as the overall cardiovascular exercise experience is greater when using your arms to push the handlebars and legs to push the pedals.

5) The price is very reasonable.

BAD POINTS

1) There is no pulse monitor with the cycle.

2) The bike is suited to someone who is trying to lose some weight and improve their fitness. It is too lightweight for a serious sports person or athlete to get a strenuous workout from.

3) Maximum user weight is 17 stone approx.

Although the bike is less substantial than my previous air cycle I still prefer it to a conventional exercise bike with fixed handlebars.

Tamara  Drewe [DVD]
Tamara Drewe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gemma Arterton
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than some reviewers assessments., 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Tamara Drewe [DVD] (DVD)
Judging by previous comments this film is either great or a complete waste of time.

Having just watched it on television I cannot believe that it has received so many 1 star ratings.

I thoroughly enjoyed it by not taking it too seriously or asking too many questions. Yes, it did start off in a slightly confusing manner but the pieces soon fitted together and it was obvious there had been previous history between the main characters before Tamara left the village several years earlier.

Whilst not being a classic I found it to be a very entertaining black comedy and did not find it boring in the slightest.

I would not normally bother posting a review but felt I had to redress the balance slightly.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart mice can figure these out!, 25 Nov. 2011
Bought one of these a year ago and after a couple of unsuccessful attempts I finally managed to catch a mouse.

First tip; set the mouse free a good distance away from your own house otherwise it will return time after time!

This Autumn I heard mice up in the attic again so looked out the trap. Once again they managed to get the food on a couple of occasions without springing the trap. On the third occasion I found to my amazement that the mouse had placed some loft insulation material round the door mechanism to stop it closing when the mouse went in for the food!

Again I eventually caught one but did not dispose of it immediately as I wanted to have some breakfast before going out of the house. When I went to get the trap to release the mouse while out for a walk, I discovered that the rodent had managed to release itself by gnawing a hole through the side of the trap!

Second tip; if you catch a mouse, release it a mile or two away from your house as soon as possible before it makes a big hole in your trap!

The Best Of Traffic
The Best Of Traffic
Offered by onepeecd

5.0 out of 5 stars My first real album, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
From 1967 when I really got interested in music through to 1973 I never bought a single record as I owned a tape recorder and faithfully recorded Fluff Freeman's Pick of the Pops every Sunday. When I bought my first Hi Fi in 1973 I concentrated on buying Greatest Hit type albums so that I could listen at last to all my favourite singles in glorious stereo.

I have to confess therefore that my reason for buying this album all those years ago was simply to obtain a couple of hit songs which I liked and to hear for the first time a third single which had flopped. In fact I can remember feeling quite unhappy that "Here we go round the Mulberry Bush" wasn't on the album.

This then is the album that made me realise that not all great music is found in the singles charts and that not all chart singles are great music. Tracks such as "Heaven is in your mind" "Coloured rain" and "Smiling Phases" simply blew my mind and led to me purchasing several more Traffic albums and I can safely say that Traffic were the first band that I was really into. I simply love Winwood's vocals, guitar and organ playing, Chris Wood was an extremely talented exponent of the flute and sax and Jim Capaldi was a superb drummer. Although Dave Mason featured on all the band's early material he didn't quite fit in with where they wanted to go.

Although I still continued to buy "Best of" LPs afterwards, my mind had been well and truly opened and I never quite thought about music the same way again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4