Profile for Book Babe Extraordinaire > Reviews

Content by Book Babe Extr...

Book Babe Extraordinaire (N'ton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Waterjel Burn Jel 120ml
Waterjel Burn Jel 120ml
Offered by Scrubs Etc Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential stuff, 24 May 2016
Just reordered this (I had small packets before). Last night I poured boiling soup all over my arm. I put the burn gel on, and it took the pain away almost immediately. It sinks into the skin and provides a protective barrier. I also suffer from sunburn (if not careful), so shall keep handy for that too. Absolutely brilliant and highly recommended.

The Girl Who Wouldn't Die
The Girl Who Wouldn't Die

5.0 out of 5 stars Plot Punch to Die For, 2 Sept. 2015
There are many longer review here which say exactly what I want to, which is that this is a bloody brilliant book which will keep you up all night. It's a gripping page turner, with a twist I didn't see coming - and George Mackenzie is a character I'm going to want to see a lot more of, along with her hypochondriac Dutch detective partner in crime solving. It packs a massive punch, this book, not shying away from exposing the raw underbelly of criminal behaviour and the seedier side of life - and it has a truly memorable killer (don't worry - no spoilers here). Buy it, read it, and then go and buy the next one, so you're all caught up in time for number 3 in the series to come out in October.

Outlander Season 1
Outlander Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly utterly brilliantly watchable...start NOW!, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Outlander Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Hooray! It's here! Have been waiting SO long. My favourite books have been brought to the small screen, and my goodness - it's been worth the wait. Ron D Moore has done a fantastic job of interpreting Diana Gabaldon's stories - where there are changes from the books, they are necessary changes for the medium. Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan now ARE Jamie Fraser and Claire Beauchamp for me. Just such good acting - and the cinematography is sublime, making Scotland's landscape into a protagonist all on its own. Believe me when I say you HAVE to watch this! Please don't be put off by the slightly slow start. The set up is very very necessary, and it's wonderful to have a producer and director who take the time to do this, and allow the story and the character relationships to have proper space to develop. If, when you get to Episode 7, you are not totally blown away by the magnificent and tender portrayal of the Wedding Night, I will eat a hat. In public. Watch it watch it watch it. And then watch it again. The second half of the season can't come soon enough for me - and I'll be buying it on DVD too, when it comes out, just for the 'extra content' scenes. This one's definitely a keeper.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 4:15 PM BST

The Art of Being Normal
The Art of Being Normal

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must-read...., 3 Jan. 2015
This may be one of the most important UKYA books of 2015, and I predict it will be on many prize lists. I started reading it just as the tragic news about transgender teen Leelah Alcorn's suicide hit the headlines, and it made me wonder whether, if more books like this had been available to her, she might have felt less alone in the world. Sadly, now we'll never find out, but I hope it helps the many kids like her to realise that help and support for them is most definitely out there. Lisa Williamson writes beautifully, and I was so gripped by David and Leo's story that I stayed up late into the night to finish the book. Williamson has clearly done her research, and I hope many many teens will read it, and realise that different is something to be celebrated rather than shunned and bullied. It is a novel I highly recommend to you all - the more diverse books of this quality out there the better!

Eden
Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars Eden is a true paradise for readers...., 4 July 2014
This review is from: Eden (Kindle Edition)
There's a hint of Du Maurier's Manderley about Eden, something about that feeling of loss and longing which the book draws you into right from the first page. Set in the Cornwall of the late 1980's, it absolutely captures the ineffable summer 'feeling' of Cornwall, which those who know and love it will recognise and respond to immediately. Those who don't have a treat in store. Nadin's writing is incredibly cinematic, and I could see every scene, every page, unrolling before my mind's eye as I read. Evie, the main character, called to something in my long-ago self - she is the girl who is always sitting somewhere on the edges of brilliance, looking in, wanting it, but not knowing how to get in and claim it. Bea - Evie's older and more glittering cousin - is excellently drawn too - she is a mixture of the confidence of youth and the entitlement beauty brings, together with an inevitable vulnerability which made her London sections of the book sing off the pages. The boys - Penn, James and Tom, are in no way handsome ciphers (as happens in too many YA books) - they are each carefully depicted, and each has his quirks and foibles - Tom less so than the others, but then he is more peripheral to the plot. The last character in the book is the house itself. Eden is full of smells and textures and life, the cause of happiness, hope, despair and sadness, and it is a very real protagonist, even when it is stripped of its beauty. The plot simmers between romance, death, jealousy, anger and stubborn determination all mixed into an unputdownable brew - and there's a damn good twist at the end. Honestly, I licked this book up in great gulps, like a melting Cornish ice-cream. Take no notice of the fact that it is labelled YA - it's so beautifully written that I defy anyone not to enjoy it, and if it's not on a prize list somewhere next year, I'll eat my sunhat. Buy it - you won't regret it one bit.

The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
by Michelle Lovric

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous writing, rich and full of wonders..., 5 Jun. 2014
I've read this book in several drafts, including the final, and I can safely say that it will be judged to be one of the finest works of literary fiction to be published this year. It'll certainly be in my Top Five. The language is rich enough to lick and savour like a gourmet meal, the research is impeccable and yet so much a part of the book that you don't notice it's there (the mark of a truly brilliant writer). Above all, the story of Manticory and her sisters grips you by the throat and pulls you along in its wake, gasping. Michelle Lovric is a writer at the height of her powers, and this book is a triumph. Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy - but at all costs get your hands on one and read it. You won't be disappointed. I predict prizes for this one.

Newt's Emerald
Newt's Emerald

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly delightful, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Newt's Emerald (Kindle Edition)
Last night I did something I haven't done for years - I read a book under the bedclothes by the light of a torch because I simply couldn't stop reading Newt/Truthful's story until I'd finished it. I was unsurprised to hear at the end of the book that three of Garth Nix's writing heroes are also three of mine, and that we discovered Georgette Heyer at the same age - 13. I knew from the first few pages that GH had to have been a background influence on Nix - the Regency language was too 'right' for her not to have been - but make no mistake, this novel is not by any means a Heyer clone. It has its own distinct and engaging voice, although Newt is certainly up there with all my favourites of Heyer's 'Napoleonic Wars' heroines, Juana Smith, the Grand Sophy and Babs Childe. It's a brilliant, authentic-feeling book which mixes Regency romance and derring-do with a good dose of magical mayhem, and I had trouble not whooping out loud and punching the air with joy while I read it. Garth Nix's writing - for whatever age - has always given me a great deal of pleasure, and this was no exception. Buy, read, enjoy.

Longbourn
Longbourn
by Jo Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant uncovering of the Downstairs to Austen's Upstairs, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Longbourn (Hardcover)
Most attempts to continue or embroider on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice are like buttermilk, blue, thin, and entirely without the deliciousness of cream. Longbourn is not. Jo Baker has written a magnificent companion to the original, uncovering the domestic side of the household, without which the Bennett's would not have functioned. The plot is clever, believable, and satisfying. I urge you to buy and read it.

The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children (Write for kids library)
The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children (Write for kids library)
by Nancy Lamb

5.0 out of 5 stars Best On The Market - Buy It!, 31 July 2013
Make no mistake, Nancy Lamb knows what she's talking about. I should know - I'm a children's author too, and have also worked in the publishing and bookselling industries. Ms Lamb writes in a light, easy to read tone, and the book is broken up into useful sections on such things as voice, character, plot, exposition etcetera. I kept wanting to punch the air and shout 'Yes! That's exactly how it is!"

I bought the book as an aide-memoire to help me construct an adult workshop on writing for children. While I've taught many children about writing in a school environment, an adult workshop needs a different slant. I'm so grateful to Ms Lamb for reminding me what I should be putting into it, and for the many useful tips she gives. I shall be crediting her fully, and recommending this book to all my students. My workshop will only be for a day, but this book has enough material to fuel a lifetime of writing. My only caveat would be that UK readers may not be familiar with most of the books and authors Ms Lamb uses as examples. However, it shouldn't be a problem to get hold of them via Amazon or AbeBooks. Just see this as a whole load of fine discoveries to make for your future reading pleasure. If you really want to be a children's writier, buy it and use it. You absolutely can't go wrong. Definitely the best of those currently on the market.

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time: 14/14
A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time: 14/14
by Robert Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting Final Episode...., 13 Jan. 2013
The Wheel of Time has turned full circle, and, finally, we have an ending. Twenty-three years ago, I bought the first book The Eye Of The World: Wheel of Time: Book 1 in hardback on first publication, and was probably one of the very early readers. Now I have 14 fat volumes on my shelves (including New Spring: A Wheel of Time Prequel), all well-read and well-loved, plus a nearly pristine just-read final book. It's been a long journey to Tarmon Gai'don - and sometimes it's been incredibly frustrating to have to wait. Now we're done. Future generations will be able to read these marvellous books and immerse themselves in the world of WOT without long gaps. Lucky them.

But what of we footsoldiers who have been here since the beginning, waiting patiently for the Last Battle, the Last Hunt? The reviews here tell their own story. There are flaws, but mostly, this is a fitting final episode, satisfactorily tying up all but a few threads. Having just finished a few hours ago, I feel drained, emotionally exhausted, exhilarated - and somewhat sad that the end has come. I'm not going to rehash what others have said - A. Whitehead has summed it all up brilliantly - but for those who are new to this world, I'd just say, take the same voyage of discovery we have. Begin at the beginning. Perservere. Anyone who calls themselves a true lover of fantasy MUST read this series, because it is, quite simply, a masterpiece of the genre.

Taishar, Robert Jordan (wherever you are in the Wheel) for sharing your amazing creative vision, Taishar, Brett Sanderson, for taking up the fallen banners with grace and elegance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3