Profile for Book Lover > Reviews

The Galliard
The Galliard
by Margaret Irwin

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Galliard (Paperback)
It depends on personal preference but I think Irwin managed grappled with a complex portion of history to great effect in this book. Following up on earlier reviews, I didn't find the scottish dialogues or songs off-putting and I don't come from Scotland. It helped set the scene and ground it in the period, it would have been strange to 'hear' Bothwell speaking the Queen's english after all! Young Bess is still perhaps my favourite by the author, but this is well worth a read.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
by Jamie Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 May 2011
What a gorgeous book - a sweet story of a friendship that becomes something more between two young people in 1940s Seattle - a Japanese-American girl and a Chinese-American boy. Also really fascinating insight into life at the time and the cultural perspective. Thoroughly recommended

Wedding Season
Wedding Season
by Katie Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but rushed and superficial, 30 April 2009
This review is from: Wedding Season (Paperback)
This is the second of Katie Fforde's books that I've read and have to admit to being a complete sucker for the gorgeous covers - beautiful illustrations!

However, I don't think I'll be coming back for any more having come to the conclusion that Katie is just a little too rushed to introduce her characters and their backstories. For instance, at the beginning of Wedding Season the POV changes from the wedding planner to the dress maker. I'm wasn't sure when though and got quite confused as they are both quite vanilla personalities! There's also a contrived quality to the heroines' conversations that seems to me really clunky and which drags in the plot twists a little too precipitately. Unlike a writer like Marian Keyes, who convincingly creates often tragic backstories for her main characters and then teases out the details during the course of the book, at the end of the day there's not much going on here.

The Mike Hammer Omnibus: "I, the Jury", "My Gun is Quick", "Vengeance is Mine!" v. 1
by Mickey Spillane

5.0 out of 5 stars Mickey Spillane: the Master of Hard-Boiled Crime Fiction, 2 Nov 2006
I recently discovered this collection of three Mike Hammer novels and was absolutely blown away. These are still as fresh as they would have been a couple of decades ago - the violence still had the power to make me wince and I was engrossed in the plots until the final, final twist.

Mike Hammer is also everything you expect and demand of a gumshoe private eye; ready to take some risks that the average cop shies away from and with quite an eye for the broads. Spillane still has a lot to teach crime writers of today. Now I'm off to get volume 2...

The Basic Eight
The Basic Eight
by Daniel Handler

5.0 out of 5 stars The talented Mr Handler, 13 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Basic Eight (Paperback)
'The Basic Eight' has so much going for it, a fantastic voice in Flannery, such wickedly funny, funny writing and a twist that was so well embedded in the text I felt as if I'd been at Flan's absinthe.

I read Donna Tart's 'The Secret History' not long after this and in bare essentials they are pretty similar. Daniel Handler's offering was far, far superior though and will stay with me far longer.

View from a Shed: Four Seasons as an Urban Farmer
View from a Shed: Four Seasons as an Urban Farmer
by Michael Wale

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun, quirky book - great gift, 6 July 2006
If you're like me then you dispair about buying a present for your Dad - more socks, a new tie...yawn.

This little hardback caught my eye and isn't a dry 'how to' book, rather a year in the life of an allotment owner, there are also some beautiful illustrations. What matters most is that Dad loved it. I recommend highly.

Little Children
Little Children
by Tom Perrotta

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect summer read, 5 Jun 2006
This review is from: Little Children (Paperback)
Little Children really draws you in to the preoccupations of an quirky cast of characters living in your average American suburb.

Something for everyone I think, men and women, some of the bits with the children really made me laugh. Go buy it!