Profile for Gary Turner > Reviews

Content by Gary Turner

Gary Turner (London)

OtterBox Commuter Series Two-Layer Protection Case Cover with Screen Protector for iPhone 5/5S - Black
Offered by Wholesome Flyover

1.0 out of 5 stars Durable but utterly impractical, 27 Aug. 2013
I had an OtterBox case for my iPhone 3GS which balanced protection with aesthetics and practicality. So despite the cost I didn't hesitate to order a new one for my new phone. Big mistake.

The iPhone 5 is a beautifully designed device, both to look at and to use. The OtterBox manages to make it look and feel both chunky and clunky so the end result is that I now have a very nice device that is very well protected for the benefit of the next user, but I am not getting any of the benefit myself since the OtterBox successfully wraps the entire phone in a huge (but tough) plastic jacket - the outer shell which is one part of the 3 part protection system. This is a minor point if you value protection above aesthetics.

Staying with the plastic outer shell - the most irritating aspect is that I cannot dock my phone onto my iPod dock with the cover on. The official Apple lightning adapter won't fit through the very narrow aperture in the shell. The cover is not designed to be constantly removed and reinstalled so I just leave it off.

The internal rubber jacket is the second part of the 3 part protection system; the port covers are obviously practical but they are very difficult to prise open - I can't fit a fingernail into the gap to open the headphone cover so I have to use end of the headphone jack to clumsily lever the port cover open from the side. In addition, the lower part of the rubber jacket beneath the home button just hangs slack, and looks cheap and worn. I did view the fitting video on the OtterBox website before fitting.

The screen protector, the third part of the 3 part protection system, has also been discarded though admittedly this is because I am not particularly adept at the precision engineering required to clean the phone and position the film accurately. I ended up with a screen cover that looked awful and was immediately removed and binned. Partly due to bubbles and blistering, and partly because the protector seem to attract grime and require more cleaning than the screen itself does.

So all 3 parts of the protection system have failed in some way and I am very disappointed with this purchase. Before you choose the OtterBox make sure you prioritise protection above practicality and aesthetics, that you don't use the ports and that you have a steady hand and eye before fitting.

I should add that delivery was very prompt and the product was supplied as described.

Colour The Small One
Colour The Small One

3.0 out of 5 stars Live is best, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Colour The Small One (Audio CD)
Sia has a wonderful mesmeric quality to her voice. I, like most people, bought this CD off the back of her vocal performances for Zero 7. Although Colour the Small One is a decent enough collection of music, I have to say that I was disappointed with the vocal performance on this CD. It goes to show you that even the best performers need good music and top quality production a la Zero 7. If you are a fan of Sia's vocal talents from Zero 7, get Lady Croissiant instead. Her live performances are more confident and powerful. I hope she can bring this confidence into her next studio album.

Lady Croissant
Lady Croissant

5.0 out of 5 stars Live is best, 31 July 2007
This review is from: Lady Croissant (Audio CD)
Lady Croissiant is everything Colour the Small One should have been. Her live performance is both powerful and enchanting. The tracks that failed to inspire on the studio album come to life when performed live. The addition of a couple of Zero 7 classics and a Pretenders cover add to the mix, and you find that 8 live tracks is simply not satisfactory. If you are a Zero 7 follower curious about Sia's post Zero 7 work, then I recommend this CD.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read!!, 30 Nov. 2004
I have never felt so compelled to write a review before; this book is a true masterpiece. Bill brings science to the masses in an entertaining and easy to understand manner. If you've ever wondered for example, what the theory of relativity actually means, get this book. I read it in a week, now I am going to read it again, and probably again after that! The size of the volume belies the breadth of topics covered.
Alongside the huge amount of science contained in this book, we also look back at the constant bickering, back-stabbing and fallings-out of history's great scientists and revolutionaries and wonder how scientific knowledge managed to advance in light of this.
This is truly a magnificent achievement given the author is not a scientist, but then if it were written by a scientist, would I have understood a word of it, and would I have enjoyed it so much?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 4:35 PM BST