Profile for I. Wilson > Reviews

I. Wilson (England)

Luminous
Luminous

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Superb Album in a Row!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Luminous (Audio CD)
When The Horrors hit the music scene with their first album 'Strange House' back in 2007 I immediately dismissed them. An appearance on The Mighty Boosh did little to convince me of their status other than being hipster posers without the tunes to back it up. Fast forward to 2009 I hear 'Sea Within A Sea' playing at a record store. I immediately go up to the owner asking who the hell is this, it sounded awesome. The chap tells me it's The Horrors. I couldn't believe the improvement and from that day on I haven't doubted them. I pre-ordered 'Skying' in 2011 and was amazed with the progress and yet again in 2014 they are hitting new heights as serious music makers. These guys genuinely do put a lot of effort into their albums and they work fantastically as one piece of art which many bands struggle with today. Whether they are grinding out tunes with distorted shoe gaze guitars or a-washing us with dream pop synths every tune hits the mark. Where from here? With more experimentation, edge and focus they'll have a legacy to be proud of.

Singles
Singles

5.0 out of 5 stars American Indie has just upped its game!, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Singles (Audio CD)
I am relatively new to Future Islands having been introduced to them through a friend a few months back. Signed to 4AD these guys are now one of the new spearheading acts of a highly respected record label (Twin Shadow, Deerhunter, Pixies, Scott Walker etc...). What strikes me from watching their live performances is the charisma and downright strangeness of their lead singer, albeit this strangeness is good! For the first time in a long time we seem to have an individual who has a unique style of delivery and dance moves. I can't help but find this very cool. As for the music there is a pop sensibility to the writing, catchy choruses and synth laden hooks to get your teeth into. With a title such as 'singles' I think they are pointing to the fact that every song on the album is suitable for radio play. Comparisons will be made with many 80s acts but I believe that is lazy journalism. Can we face that synths are used as much in the 2010's as was back then! I would compare them to their contemporary label mates in terms of sound. The clinical synths and driving bass work perfectly with Samuel T Herring's soulful voice. The tracks don't outstay there welcome, all being around the 3-4 minute mark making this a very concise effort that cuts off all unnecessary fat. Great effort guys and keep up the work!

The Old Testament (UA Studio Recs 77-82)
The Old Testament (UA Studio Recs 77-82)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Sound Quality, 4 Jun 2013
I pre ordered this item and was so disappointed on listening to the heavily compressed dull and tinny sound. After a few tracks it was fatiguing to my ears and I had to switch it off. All the dynamic range has gone from the previous 1992 issues. I will be sending this back ASAP. Very disappointing! It's such a shame The Stranglers work has been treated to this arctic monkeys style compression!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 8:37 PM GMT

The Idiot
The Idiot

3.0 out of 5 stars Due for a Remaster!, 4 April 2013
This review is from: The Idiot (Audio CD)
I love the LP of the idiot but the CD version is due for a remaster. Sounds tinny like most of the early CD releases. Sort it out Iggy!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2013 1:39 PM BST

The Best Of Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Best Of Creedence Clearwater Revival
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Round Up of CCR's Best Work, 4 April 2013
Having been born in the late 80's I have no first hand experience of this band. The first song I heard by them was 'Fortunate Son' thanks to the film Forrest Gump. I thought wow now that is the sort of voice and rock n roll urgency I like. So I decided to explore the band further and this seemed a sensible place to start. First off I enjoy their unique sound and songwriting, no one else really sounds like CCR. Secondly, I loved every song on the album, they are catchy tunes that grow on you and after a few spins you seem to know all the words like you've always been a fan. I would recommend this to fans of late 60s and early 70s Americana and Rock. 5 Stars as I can't stop listening to this band!

Comedown Machine
Comedown Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Ok. Nothing Special., 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Comedown Machine (Audio CD)
All I can say for Comedown Machine is that it is fine background listening music if you are busy writing a review on amazon on your mac book pro. Other than that nothing really stands out and makes you pay attention.

I guess if you want to look cool when you have friends over for a few drinks then its ok but it's not a patch on their work from 2001-2006. I gave Angles a wide birth, at least it is better than that eh?.

I guess the generation that fell in love with them way back when are all into different bands now. I feel the big recording gap between 2006 and 2011 did them no favours and the indie music scene moved on.

I suggest for their next outing they do something completely different.

3/5 not bad, not good, just ok.

The Next Day
The Next Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh Bowie Meh., 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Next Day (Audio CD)
I can't believe all the rave reviews there are about this album, so some equalisation is in order.

FACT: Bowie has not released a great album since 1980's 'Scary Monsters and Super Creeps'. Let's Dance was very patchy and then it just went down hill from there. He just sounds more miserable the older he gets. Now don't get upset people, I have every Bowie release from Space Oddity to Lets Dance and love most of the albums in this period (bar Lodger 1979).

I think he simply ran out of ideas and got comfortable working with the same people since 2002. They are terrible musicians and their instrumentations sound bloody boring. They ruined the classics playing at the Reality Tour. As for Bowie, his voice is going and is now glossed over with clever production. This was the man that could once shout on 'Heroes' and make my spine shiver.

Think I'm just going to go and watch one of his sons films instead.

Either way don't worry Bowie you have made a fair bit of money from me and I enjoyed your accent in 'The Prestige'.

2/5.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 12:19 PM BST

Bloodsports
Bloodsports
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Comeback!, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bloodsports (Audio CD)
Better than anything I expected. A real return to form from the Princes of Britpop. The album sounds like Suede circa 1996 with a more mature sound. If you like the first 3 albums Suede, Dog Man Star and Coming Up it is definately worth a punt.

Well done guys!