Profile for D. Cannon > Reviews

Content by D. Cannon

D. Cannon "RandomAmbler" (London, UK)

Bipra USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power Adapter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 inch SATA or IDE Drive
Price: 22.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy to use, 8 Feb 2011
I picked up this neat little adaptor when my SATA hard-disk died and I needed to retrieve some useful data from it (which is coincidentally why I now have a backup!). This was a bit of a shot in the dark as other attempts had failed to get the drive going which is why I wanted a cheap solution (as opposed to the more expensive disk-swapping kits) that I could also use with the other SATA/IDE drives that I own.

Anyway the package arrived and I sat down to discover how the cable worked. The instructions are pretty good and soon enough I'd established that for SATA drives the power supply and interface cable are separate and that there's a particular order required in terms of plugging in and powering up. By following these steps I was good to go and then a miracle occurred; my hard disk started up, was immediately available in Windows and remained stable for as long as I needed.

What more can someone ask for?

5 x Xylo ClearICE Anti Scratch LCD Screen Cover Film Protectors for the Samsung i900 OMNIA Mobile Phone. With Free MicroFibre Cleaning Cloth for Easy Application.

3.0 out of 5 stars Work ok for the Orange San Francisco, 8 Dec 2010
Having scored an Orange San Francisco at a nice price I decided that the screen needed protecting and covers of this size came recommended. I'm quite glad that this was a pack of five as my first attempt to apply the cover didn't go so well with lot's of air bubbles and these are just impossible to remove. On the upside at least the screen remains responsive while being protected.

FLASH SUPERSTORE NOKIA E71 PLAIN PATTERN SILICON GEL SKIN COVER/CASE CLEAR
FLASH SUPERSTORE NOKIA E71 PLAIN PATTERN SILICON GEL SKIN COVER/CASE CLEAR

4.0 out of 5 stars Works ok for the Orange San Francisco, 8 Dec 2010
Having bought an Orange San Francisco at a great price I reckoned that I need something to protect it from the vicissitudes of daily life. This type of gel case came recommended and the price was certainly right so I took the chance that it would fit. As it happens the fit is excellent with the case being snug but not too tight to fit. The only problem is that I had to hack about with a pair of scissors to make the camera strip wide enough and to allow the charging plug access. So a nice case which now looks a bit untidy!

Love That Dog
Love That Dog
by Sharon Creech
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars A subtly advanced read - works on several levels, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Love That Dog (Paperback)
Together with 'HateThat Cat' Sharon Creech has written a pair of children's books here that defy easy classification. Part poetry, part study guide and part emotional journey the stories are written in the style of a classroom journal - which is also a conversation between a boy and his teacher. This approach is highly effective and disarmingly brief - it's not easy to convey so much depth with so few words.

Ultimately I think that it's worth taking a chance here. These stories can be comfortably read in an evening but I suspect that they'll also benefit from repeat attention.

Hate That Cat
Hate That Cat
by Sharon Creech
Price: 4.79

This review is from: Hate That Cat (Paperback)
Together with 'Love That Dog' Sharon Creech has written a pair of children's books here that defy easy classification. Part poetry, part study guide and part emotional journey the stories are written in the style of a classroom journal - which is also a conversation between a boy and his teacher. This approach is highly effective and disarmingly brief - it's not easy to convey so much depth with so few words.

Madeira: Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes)
Madeira: Car Tours and Walks (Landscapes)
by John Underwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Family walking in Madeira, 2 Dec 2009
We recently spent a week relaxing and walking in Madeira with our 4-year old son and had a marvellous time. However it wouldn't have been half as interesting and spectacular had we not packed the Sunflower walking guide. We have used these before in the Canary Islands and this edition didn't disappoint!

What is unique about Madeira though are the 'levadas' or concrete water channels that can be found all over the island. Some are little more than an enclosed stream with a gentle path adjacent while others cling vertiginously to sheer cliffs with the only space to walk being the edge of the channel! The Sunflower guide took us to both extremes and while shepherding a toddler along above a long drop isn't for the faint-hearted the views were worth it!

Sadly on this trip we weren't in a position to take on some of the longer and more challenging hikes but luckily the guide provides a wide range of options and even the shortest walks take you off of the beaten track. You have to be aware though that sometimes this means that way-marks will disappear and while the guide does it's very best to keep you on track you can't just switch off and stroll along!

Finally another strong point of this and other guides is that they include excellent maps of both the walks and the entire island. There have been many times when we've used these maps in preference to any other road map as they're always both accurate and detailed.

The only caveat that I might apply to this edition is that it looks like a new version will be coming out next year. Nevertheless whichever edition you buy I'm certain that you will not be disappointed.

Yes Man Film Tie-In: The Amazing Tale of What Happens When You Decide to Say - Yes
by Danny Wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars Against all the odds an inspiring tale, 10 Nov 2009
Based on a friend's recommendation I decided to buy this story of "Yes" on a whim and I'm glad that I made the effort. Danny Wallace writes in an engaging and easy to read style that's nicely self-depreciating and not at all preachy (although it's hard to see Jim Carrey playing him!). What's nice though is that the whole idea of being a bit more open to life and seeing where it takes you is a great one and worth taking on board. Just don't start gate-crashing your ex-partner's romantic dates!

Toshiba 22DV555DB - 22" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV/DVD Combi - Glossy Black
Toshiba 22DV555DB - 22" Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV/DVD Combi - Glossy Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great second TV but a little bit quiet, 18 Feb 2009
We bought this combination TV a week or so ago for the kids; so our priority was to minimise clutter and cables by having the TV, DVD and digital tuner all in one box. It's amazing how hard it is to find good TVs that can do this!

Anyway the box arrived fairly promptly from Amazon, at an excellent price, and I rigged everything up with only a cursory glance at the instructions. As expected the unit started looking for analogue and digital channels and when finished I settled down and was instantly happy with the picture. There was a bit of blocking going on though and so I did wonder how good the digital tuner was but this appears to have gone away now.

The only problem really is that the volume is just too low for an ordinary room. We're had it at the maximum on some evenings and even then you certainly can't talk and listen. However now that I've plugged the TV into my stereo system the sound is obviously much louder and easier to here.

So all in all a fine TV that's let down by its sound. OTOH I haven't messed around with the digital channels like other reviewers and so may or may not encounter the dreaded digital failure gremlin....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2009 11:31 AM BST

London Street Atlas (spiral) (A-Z Street Atlas)
London Street Atlas (spiral) (A-Z Street Atlas)
by Geographers A-Z Map Company
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 5.61

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an atlas - it shows the streets, 18 Feb 2009
I bought this atlas because I was fed up with our old copy - being hardback and well-used it fell apart and was held together with sticky tape. Needless to say the use of a spiral wire for the spine (nicely finished in the Bauhaus style with a white, plastic coating) solves that problem entirely. Also the atlas is well-weighted, fits in the hand and can be easily folded back to display a single page at a time. A minor usability issue is that roads tend to get broken at the edge of the page; however I've developed the work-around of either moving my eyes to the adjacent page or flipping the atlas over to reveal the next page. Sadly this is less effective when moving vertically off of a page and so for the time being I've restricted myself to travelling horizontally. Apart from this though this is a top-notch atlas that contains all of the streets that I know of in London.