Profile for Mr. M. C. Gaylard > Reviews

Run With The Pack
Run With The Pack
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 20 Oct 2007
This review is from: Run With The Pack (Audio CD)
Okay. I bought this when it first came out way back when. To me each of the Bad Co albums seemed to lack something. The first was just finding their collective feet, the second they seemed to gel better but the song writing was not fully there. This just seemed a step back at the time. It smacks of commercial sellout. Some songs are good but there is now a formula in place albeit a viable one commercially. But there is nothing here that sounds like they are doing anything more than coasting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 10:42 AM BST

Chinatown
Chinatown
Price: 7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin Lizzy thin on quality, 16 Sep 2005
This review is from: Chinatown (Audio CD)
I bought this when it first came out and would wholeheartedly agree that this was a stinker. Gary Moore reckoned that the band was on the way down when he joined (no reflection on him I'm sure!) but by the time they had got this far they were really way off the boil, much like later-day Whitesnake I suppose. In many ways these bands got them selves into a rut where when they tried to recapture their magic they really only ended up as a parody of their former glorious selves. Really only buy this if you are a completist or anorak. Go fo the early stuff, Fighting and Jailbreak are musts, never sure of Night Life myself but reckon that Johnny The Fox was up close. Of course the Live and Dangerous should be almost compulsory listening for everyone.

Using S. Q. L.
Using S. Q. L.
by Paul N. Weinberg

5.0 out of 5 stars The book was invaluable., 5 Nov 2003
This review is from: Using S. Q. L. (Paperback)
Quite simply the first "best" computing book I had read, and yes I actually found it readable.
In about 1990/1, a couple of my colleagues and I got together and bought a few copies of this book as we had to learn SQL in a hurry and in a hands-on way as our company was not going to train us.
The book was invaluable.
It is clear, concise, sensible and useable.
After 12 years it is still on my shelf.

Dreamweaver 4 for Windows and Macintosh (Visual QuickStart Guides)
Dreamweaver 4 for Windows and Macintosh (Visual QuickStart Guides)
by J. Tarin Towers

4.0 out of 5 stars It got me started quickly and efficiently, 5 Nov 2003
This is another one of those "does exactly what it says on the tin" type of books.
It is an excellent visual quick start and I was able to dive in and out of it find out what I needed to know.
Is it an in-depth knowledge tool? I have no idea.
It got me started quickly and efficiently and I have been able to use it as a reference so far. That's all I wanted.

Sherman: Soldier, Realist, American
Sherman: Soldier, Realist, American
by Sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart
Price: 11.05

5.0 out of 5 stars As recommended by General Patton, 3 Nov 2003
Originally commissioned to write a book about Lee (or Grant, I can't honestly remember), Liddell Hart found that Sherman was in fact the only stand-out general from the American Civil War and he sets out quite convincingly to prove his point.
The book is not only a study of the battles but also provides a precis biography of the man himself. It really is a quite engaging read.
Sherman, the man and this book were an inspiration to another great American general, Patton. Heconfessed that he took this book with him throughout his European campaign and when faced with difficulties would read these book to see what Sherman would have done.

Perl, CGI, and JavaScript Complete
Perl, CGI, and JavaScript Complete
by Dave Evans Greg Jarboe Hollis Thomases Mari Smith Chris Treadaway

3.0 out of 5 stars I should have thought more carefully before buying this one, 3 Nov 2003
No it's not! Complete that is.
This a cut down and cobbled together version of other Sybex books.
I should have thought more carefully before buying this one but was blinded by the fact that it some examples of exactly what I wanted to do.
For me it this book does just not work.
The whole look and feel of the book is wrong. It feels the wrong size when you use it. Nice and thick, you feel it is going to be thorough. But the pages are just the wrong size. It really seems to make the reference section uncomfortable to use.
It is printed on horrible paper too.
It was this book that led me to buy all my others!
I guess that at the end of the day, trying to learn three things requires three books. This may serve as a reference when you have an idea of what you are doing but I doubt it.

CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible
CIW e-Commerce Designer Certification Bible
by Chris Minnick

5.0 out of 5 stars a good reference book beyond the exam, 3 Nov 2003
I found this book exceedingly useful. It is incredibly thorough, as are all the titles that I have read in the series.
The exercises and the tests were a useful alternative to the online tests available. Unless you have broadband of cheap/free access then these will serve instead of the online tests.
Tests and lab materials are available through the accompanying CD.
Not cheap at 35+ retail, cheaper from someone like Amazon of course.
Like the Site Designer Bible, I would say that this is a book that would serve as a good reference book beyond the exam, so you might want to buy and keep this one!

I have bought many books from Wiley over the years, mainframe programming books included and have found that they just do not publish rubbish. When I see that they are the publishers, I know that I have got a book I can trust.
When I was taking these course modules I found that although the reference material provided probably did have everything I would need for the exam, finding it was a problem. Also, some things were skimmed in the course and although the material made sense at the time I was a bit lost or unsure when revising. So I needed some alternative source material.
These Certification Bibles worked a treat. They are not exactly the lightest books to read, but they are packed full. I would say that they are all comprehensive in their coverage, well structured (albeit differently ordered than my own course material) and designed.
Yes, you can learn from them as a starter, but best of all they are comprehensive enough to work as reference books beyond your exam. Despite years, or maybe because of years of experience with some tools and languages, I reckon that a good reference book or two on anything you know are invaluable. Pass an exam with a simple beginners book and the first thing you'll want to do is buy a more expensive and thorough book. These books comfortable embrace both needs.
In conclusion, I would recommend all of these books as a valuable addition to the CIW Certification course material. They are expensive, but you get a lot for your money. Additionally these books will serve as good reference books once you have your certification!

CIW Site Designer Certification Bible
CIW Site Designer Certification Bible
by Chelsea Valentine
Price: 47.50

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent preparation for the exam, 3 Nov 2003
I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone taking the exam. Given the volume of the book I would buy it and tackle it BEFORE going on the course. You will easily pass then.
Tests and lab materials are available through the accompanying CD.
Not cheap at 45 retail, cheaper from someone like Amazon of course.
Unlike the Foundations Bible, I would say that this is a book that would serve as a good reference book beyond the exam, so you might want to buy and keep this one!
If anything, I found the tests in this book harder than the actual exam itself. Coupled with the exercises then this is an excellent preparation for the exam.

CIW Foundations Certification Bible
CIW Foundations Certification Bible
by Keith Olsen

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental in helping me pass, 3 Nov 2003
Tests and lab materials are available through the accompanying CD.
A big question when buying this though ought to be "will I still need it when I have passed the exam". Probably not, which makes buying a second-hand copy a good proposition.
I reckon that this book more than helped reinforce the course material.

DB2 for the Cobol Programmer: Introductory Course Pt. 1: An Introductory Course Pt.1
by Steve Eckols
Price: 37.50

4.0 out of 5 stars No complaint about the contents, just the pricing., 3 Nov 2003
I bought this book as an alternative to the IBM SQL workshop material as this was more geared to COBOL. I found it very useful.
On the downside though I feel that at the price, parts 1 and 2 could have been combined into a single volume. There are after all a number of other such similarly large tomes at the price of a single part here.
No complaint about the contents, just the pricing.
I bought the second book at the same time as I was feeling flush.
Must admit that I have referred to it less. Not sure if that is a reflection of me, circumstances, or the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3