Profile for johanna > Reviews

The Galapagos Affair
The Galapagos Affair
by Dr John E Treherne

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical of this "outsider" at first...., 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Galapagos Affair (Paperback)
I met John Treherne, who became my friend and mentor, shortly after the publication of this book. As a Galapagueno myself who knew "Ma" Wittmer, as we called her, I was at first skeptical of this "outsider" trying to solve one of "our" mysteries. But Treherne, with his scientist's skill, seamlessly dissects the facts and puts them back in this page turner. Tender in places and intuitive, this is a good study of how humans behave faced with extremely testing circumstances on a difficult remote island. A good read even if you have never been to the Galapagos.
Johanna Angermeyer
author/ My Father's Island

FLOREANA
FLOREANA
by MARGRET WITTMER
Price: 9.33

4.0 out of 5 stars A Woman With Amazing Grit, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: FLOREANA (Paperback)
We called her "Ma" Wittmer when I was growing up in Galapagos. When we visited the island of Floreanna she always greeted us with flour on her apron and a twinkle in her eye. Although the book is "ghosted" there are touching moments but mostly it shows the grit and pioneer spirit of a long lost time on a remote island few would ever be inspired to call home. With the new release of the film The Galapagos Affair....I am glad that my old friend Ma Wittmer has a voice through this little book.
Johanna Angermeyer
author of My Father's Island

Bedroom Athletics Women's Bardot Cream 210-610-300 Large
Bedroom Athletics Women's Bardot Cream 210-610-300 Large

4.0 out of 5 stars snuggly feet, 17 Dec 2010
I have funny feet. So I was dubious about ordering these sight unseen. They arrived the night before the temperatures dipped to -6. They are very squidgy and comforting underfoot which is crucial as I broke 5 bones in one foot. The heels are slightly too narrow to give any support but then I will not be wearing them during the day. For an evening in they are lovely.

Wildlife of the Galapagos (Traveller's Guide)
Wildlife of the Galapagos (Traveller's Guide)
by Julian Fitter
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars best guidebook on galapagos, 17 Dec 2010
Having lived in the Galapagos most of my life, I wish I'd had this book while growing up, exploring the islands and guiding early visitors. The photographs are clear, the book well designed for easy identification and the text shows that the authors have a deep respect and understanding of the islands. If you don't get around to buying this book to take with you....buy it in mainland Ecuador or out in the Galapagos, only don't go without it.

BUG ZAPPER
BUG ZAPPER
Offered by QuidSave
Price: 2.92

3.0 out of 5 stars flys beware, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: BUG ZAPPER
I was dubious when my husband ordered this fly swatter but it works. I would never use it for large insects, which I would not want to kill anyway.....only pesky flys in the kitchen. As the flys sometimes don't die instantly but fall to the floor buzzing in a circle, I put a piece of paper towel over them and finish them off with my foot...then dispose. You can get carried away and if not careful, you'll end up breaking dishes as you swipe with abandon. Our dogs are terrified of it and make a hurried retreat when they see it. My husband got too rambunctious and the handle snapped. But we mended it with tape and will use it next summer again. Sorry, dogs.

Mes confitures
Mes confitures
by Christine Ferber
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 3.83

4.0 out of 5 stars no comparison to my former jams, 17 Dec 2010
Our Mirabelle Plum tree produced such a crop of fruit that I was determined to make something special out of it. But there were no recipes on the internet so I ordered this book. The results are excellent...a totally different approach....not too sweet and lovely clumps of fruit like jewels throughout the jam. Make sure you order the English version, if you, like me have limited French.
It took me forever to translate the recipes....but very glad I did. My Welsh Dresser is festooned with proud little jars containing the beautiful results.

Dough
Dough
by Richard Bertinet
Price: 8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all in the dough, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
This is a well designed book, clear enough for beginners, which will change the way you make bread....for the better.
And if you don't get the clear photographs there is a helpful cd to watch.
No more mixing warm water with yeast...this is a totally different system and the results?
You will not buy bread from a store again if you can help it.
Nor will you need to go to the gym....it's good arm excercise.
I found that my countertop is too high...now I step on a sturdy box to get the right height.