Profile for Cogidubnus > Reviews

Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims
by Paul Begg
Price: 16.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Any other ****** would've given this five, 8 April 2014
This is another very different "Jack the Ripper" book...As has been pointed out to me, it contains under 10 pages, (of a total of over 260), relating to the canonical five victims...this book is emphatically a study of the "forgotten victims", and not a rehash of all that's gone before.

It is measured, thorough, and both well researched and written...everything you might expect from the writers of CSI Whitechapel...and more besides...

As such, it is a masterpiece of it's kind...it reads easily and freely and yet is thoroughly referenced and well indexed...I hate to say it, (because I'm beginning to use the phrase more than I ought), but it's another "must buy" for the would-be Ripperologist and a serious "should-buy" for the Real Crime follower...I would urge it on any serious student...

So why have I not given it five stars? Well perhaps I ought to have, but for me it's a 4.5 or thereabouts...other books have thrilled me with their accuracy and fresh research...and got a five....other books have shocked me and forced me to rethink things from the beginning...and likewise got a five...some of these latter have perhaps been less factual than this one but have wowed me more...it's a tough decision - as a compromise I give this four, but thoroughly recommend any really serious student buys it and reads it at least twice!

Deluxe Massage TABLE WARMER: Heating Pad Fits ALL Massage Beds
Deluxe Massage TABLE WARMER: Heating Pad Fits ALL Massage Beds
Offered by Massage Warehouse
Price: 45.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Mar 2014
I bought this as a present for my wife, who is a practising Sports Therapist...so it gets quite heavy usage...she says it's very good indeed and of a far higher qualty than other only slightly cheaper warmers she'd looked at...

The World That Never Was: A True Story of Dreamers, Schemers, Anarchists and Secret Agents
by Alex Butterworth
Price: 21.26

5.0 out of 5 stars The beautiful dream, 7 Mar 2014
This is a big book...it needs to be because the subject matter is huge, and the author covers it intimately and in great detail...One is, from the outset, conveyed into the idealistic lifestyle of the early anarchists, and carried into a world where the establishment reactions have changed, if not corrupted the hopes and dreams of many...from Communard to Dynamitard as it were.

It would be a sad world without idealists, radicals and reformers...and yet the establishment demands stability - it is only in the push and shove, disturbing the uneasy balance between those aspirations, that there lies the hope of progress...if nothing else, the fate of the dreamers of the 19th century, masterfully narrated in this book, illustrates vividly why the radicals of the 20th and 21st century have shed much of their naivety and wised up.

Great read...highly recommended.

The Blackest Streets: The Life and Death of a Victorian Slum
The Blackest Streets: The Life and Death of a Victorian Slum
by Sarah Wise
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Old Nichol, 7 Mar 2014
This is a very well researched work on what was effectively a sink estate of the Victorian era, It describes in great depth the hellish conditions, the inhabitants, the mores and customs of the time, the would-be social improvers and their successes failures.

It is for the most part quite readable although I did get bogged down a couple of times part way through...nonetheless it was well worth persevering...it's a very rewarding read.

The book is lavishly referenced, and properly indexed. It's only thaose couple f sticky bits that hold me back from five stars - again I wish I could award 4.5, as four isn't quite enough...

The secret of Prisoner 1167: Was this man Jack the Ripper?
The secret of Prisoner 1167: Was this man Jack the Ripper?
by James Tully

4.0 out of 5 stars Retrospective..., 7 Mar 2014
This is a very good book. Unfortuately it's become somewhat unfashionable in "Ripper" circles to entertain Kelly as a suspect, but I still feel he's got everything...including a history of wife killing...I still rate Kelly as a worthwhile suspect (suitably missing at the critical times) and rate this book

Railwaywomen: Exploitation, Betrayal and Triumph in the Workplace
Railwaywomen: Exploitation, Betrayal and Triumph in the Workplace
by Helena Wojtczak
Price: 23.91

5.0 out of 5 stars It has to be THE best book on female roles within the railway system, 7 Mar 2014
I thought I'd previously reviewed this work, but Amazon records that I haven't...nonetheless...

This is a crucially important book on a number of levels...

It's first and foremost, a rare account of the role of women within the earlier years of British railways, and onwards into the modern era...In the early years women were in some respects unusual; Even in the median years their presence was unfortunately often limited to archetypal roles, but they were nonetheless present more often than one might expect

Secondarily it's a personal, and amazingly modest, account of a young lady who was the very first female guard ever appointed on British Railways...

Thirdly it's generally fascinating as part of the development of the railways.

I came across this book because my father, uncle and grandfather all worked for railways in the South-East of England, my grandad for the London Brighton an South Coast as a messenger, my father and uncle for the Southern Railway administration, and later British Railways.

It is an excellent account historically, fully referenced, but more importantly beautifully written and emminently readable.

On a personal level, railways are in my blood, and this author's work I could read until the legendary bovines are repatriated!

Jack the Ripper (Memorabilia Collection)
Jack the Ripper (Memorabilia Collection)
by Igloo
Price: 14.96

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 6 Mar 2014
A somewhat inferior account, (accompanied, appropriately, by a somewhat inferior selection of replica documents), in comparison to the Evans/Skinner "Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders" or the Richard Jones "Jack the Ripper, The Casebook"...frankly if you like repro documents cheaply copied, accompanied by a summary of the murders, by all means go down this path...

Otherwise buy a decent general book by any of Messrs Begg, Bennett, Fido, Rumbelow, Skinner etc and for the documents consult the national archives...I've bought all the repro documents files and frankly it wasn't worth a light...get a copy of the MEPO files instead!

The Complete and Essential Jack the Ripper
The Complete and Essential Jack the Ripper
by Paul Begg
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sound but not quite inspired, 6 Mar 2014
This is the second collaboration between Paul Begg and John Bennett, the first being the stunning CSI Whitechapel...

It is with a sense of some regret that I have to award this offering only four stars. Perhaps I am overwhelmed by the sheer excellence of that first collaboration, or maybe over-influenced by the sheer virtuosity of Helena Wojtczak's book on Chapman, which was published at roughly the same time...I don't know...it is a very good book indeed, but somehow it didn't inspire me in the same way...I'd still thoroughly recommend it though...Damn you Amazon...if I could, it'd be 4.5

Jack the Ripper and the London Press
Jack the Ripper and the London Press
by L. Perry Jr. Curtis
Price: 55.00

4.0 out of 5 stars In the dry, 6 Mar 2014
I bought this book because it came highly recommended as an academic work investigating the methods by which the papers (particularly the newly emerging radical press) influenced not only the course of the investigation, the political life of the nation, but also the future course of investigative journalism.

It's a fascinating book, but frankly I hadn't fully appreciated how "academic" it was going to be - as a reasonably bright grammar school boy of the 1960s I found it, at times, dry and difficult going...worth staying the course for, but by no means a compelling read.

The fault is undoubtedly my own, but to be fair, as a somewhat superficial sort of student of the period, it's probable that I'll be dipping into it for reference at odd occasions in the future...just not re-reading it throughout for pleasure!

If you wish, take the one star deduction as a comment on my own inadequacies, but I took it off for sheer dryness!

Murder on the Home Front: A True Story of Morgues, Murderers and Mysteries in the Blitz
by Molly Lefebure
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars A suitable career for a lady?, 6 Mar 2014
I'm not sure why this book has lingered in obscurity for most of it's life...seen as a counterpoint to Keith Simpson's "Forty Years of Murder" it has to have some interest on that score alone.

I thought it was an interesting account of a young lady of her times, breaking with convention and taking up a most unusual occupation at the time...it was never going to be top of the best-sellers list, but very interesting and revealing, (as social comment if nothing else), all the same

Page: 1 | 2 | 3